Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > reborn ?

reborn ?

Osiris

I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
from the C-world.
What are the popular programming environments these days ?
windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
What about Linux ?
GNU, of course.
Eclipse ?
not EMACS huh ? please... or VIM....can't be....

Richard Heathfield

Osiris said:

> I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
> from the C-world.
> What are the popular programming environments these days ?

Computers are favourite, although by no means mandatory.

> windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
> What about Linux ?

Linux /is/ an IDE.

> GNU, of course.
> Eclipse ?
> not EMACS huh ? please... or VIM....can't be....

The Linux IDE comes complete with a multitude of tool choices for
specific tasks, and you can mix and match them according to your own
personal taste. Personally, for editing I use vim, even though EMACS
probably carries more kudos among the cognoscenti, for the simple
reason that vim can be used, in a pinch, with only one hand (leaving
the other free to hold a coffee mug), whereas EMACS needs at least
three.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Cawas

On May 15, 7:53 pm, Osiris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
> from the C-world.
> What are the popular programming environments these days ?
> windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
> What about Linux ?
> GNU, of course.
> Eclipse ?
> not EMACS huh ? please... or VIM....can't be....

Well, I think I won't be adding much, but who knows... I usually
program in windows, using either of these:
Crimson Editor
DevCPP
JEdit
Arachnophilia

And as far as I knew, Eclipse was for Java. But don't worry explaining
this to me, as I'll google for it soon enough.

Al Balmer

On Wed, 16 May 2007 00:53:52 +0200, Osiris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
>from the C-world.
>What are the popular programming environments these days ?
>windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
>What about Linux ?
>GNU, of course.
>Eclipse ?
>not EMACS huh ? please... or VIM....can't be....

[OT]The GNU (gcc) toolchain is probably the most popular for Linux.
Eclipse was originally for Java, but has C and C++ plugins now. There
are many editors available, both commercial (I use Slickedit) and
free, and many of them can be used as IDEs.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

jaysome

On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:12:48 +0000, Richard Heathfield
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Osiris said:
>
>> I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
>> from the C-world.
>> What are the popular programming environments these days ?

>Computers are favourite, although by no means mandatory.
>
>> windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
>> What about Linux ?

>Linux /is/ an IDE.

Huh?

IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. Note what the "I"
in IDE stands for.

An IDE implies an editor, a compiler, a linker and a debugger, all
wrapped into a single application. Visual Studio running on Windows
(or under Wine in Linux) satisfies this requirement. What application
in Linux satisfies this requirement (not VIM, but maybe Eclipse, which
is arguably not Linux)?

>> GNU, of course.
>> Eclipse ?
>> not EMACS huh ? please... or VIM....can't be....

>The Linux IDE comes complete with a multitude of tool choices for
>specific tasks, and you can mix and match them according to your own
>personal taste. Personally, for editing I use vim, even though EMACS
>probably carries more kudos among the cognoscenti, for the simple
>reason that vim can be used, in a pinch, with only one hand (leaving
>the other free to hold a coffee mug), whereas EMACS needs at least
>three.

VIM is an editor, but hardly an IDE. I bet you edit your code in VIM,
compile and link it in a terminal window with gcc, and then run it in
a shell. That's two or three segregated applications, sans addressing
the issue of debugging. Run gdb and you have a true SDE (Segregated
Development Environment) consisting of at least four different
applications, and five or more if you include the shell and any GUI
wrappers that run on top of that.

Are three hands really necessary to use a true IDE on Linux?

FWIW, I can use a true IDE on Windows with one hand, leaving my other
hand free to hold my coffee mug.

--
jay

Chris Dollin

jaysome wrote:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:12:48 +0000, Richard Heathfield
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Osiris said:
>>
>>> I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
>>> from the C-world.
>>> What are the popular programming environments these days ?

>>Computers are favourite, although by no means mandatory.
>>
>>> windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
>>> What about Linux ?

>>Linux /is/ an IDE.

> Huh?
>
> IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. Note what the "I"
> in IDE stands for.
>
> An IDE implies an editor, a compiler, a linker and a debugger, all
> wrapped into a single application.

Yes, that's right. Linux. Editors, compilers, linkers, and debuggers,
all in one handy package.

Here's /my/ definition of an IDE: it should supply refactoring and
unit-testing tools [1]. The rest is mere frippery ...

[1] That make their use routine.

--
Deadpan Hedgehog
"Who do you serve, and who do you trust?" /Crusade/

Richard Heathfield

jaysome said:

> On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:12:48 +0000, Richard Heathfield
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Osiris said:
>>
>>> windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
>>> What about Linux ?

>>Linux /is/ an IDE.

> Huh?
>
> IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment.

Yes, the term is around 20 years old. I have come across it before.

> Note what the "I" in IDE stands for.

Indeed.

> An IDE implies an editor, a compiler, a linker and a debugger, all
> wrapped into a single application.

Yes. Linux is therefore an IDE. It includes not just one editor but
many, a compiler, a linker, a debugger, and a whole host of filters and
graphic editors and ancillary programs such as email clients,
newsreaders, word processors, spreadsheets, Web servers and so on. All
out of the box and ready to go.

> Visual Studio running on Windows
> (or under Wine in Linux) satisfies this requirement. What application
> in Linux satisfies this requirement

Linux. I already said.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
jaysome <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:12:48 +0000, Richard Heathfield
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Osiris said:
>>
>>> I will be programming in C again, after being absent for some 5 years
>>> from the C-world.
>>> What are the popular programming environments these days ?

>>Computers are favourite, although by no means mandatory.
>>
>>> windows has Miicrosofts IDE, I know, and Borland IDE's
>>> What about Linux ?

>>Linux /is/ an IDE.

>Huh?
>
>IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. Note what the "I"
>in IDE stands for.
>
>An IDE implies an editor, a compiler, a linker and a debugger, all
>wrapped into a single application. Visual Studio running on Windows
>(or under Wine in Linux) satisfies this requirement. What application
>in Linux satisfies this requirement (not VIM, but maybe Eclipse, which
>is arguably not Linux)?

Whoosh!!!

Christopher Benson-Manica

Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes. Linux is therefore an IDE. It includes not just one editor but
> many, a compiler, a linker, a debugger, and a whole host of filters and
> graphic editors and ancillary programs such as email clients,
> newsreaders, word processors, spreadsheets, Web servers and so on. All
> out of the box and ready to go.

I think the point is that these applications are not "integrated" out
of the box. Linux is more of an IDE framework than an IDE itself; it
provides all the components a developer could ever wish for, but the
task of "integrating" them is left to the developer.

Richard Heathfield

Christopher Benson-Manica said:

> Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yes. Linux is therefore an IDE. It includes not just one editor but
>> many, a compiler, a linker, a debugger, and a whole host of filters
>> and graphic editors and ancillary programs such as email clients,
>> newsreaders, word processors, spreadsheets, Web servers and so on.
>> All out of the box and ready to go.

> I think the point is that these applications are not "integrated" out
> of the box.

On a single screen, I have an editor window, a debugger window, a
compilation window, a 'run' window, and several 'whatever the heck I
like' windows. I can copy information between any of them quickly and
easily. I can switch between them quickly and easily. And I can call up
additional windows for any purpose at the drop of a key, and they will
seamlessly gain this ability to yield and receive information from
other windows as I direct.

What is it, precisely, about this setup that you think is not
"integrated"?