Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Germany passes law that imposes 2 year prison sentence for illegal downloading.

Germany passes law that imposes 2 year prison sentence for illegal downloading.

gavin

"NRen2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WJZ2i.17207$(E-Mail Removed)...
> gavin wrote:
>> "Useful Info" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Police state rising... Read all about it, here: http://Muvy.org

>> As far as software is concerned, since discovering this newsgroup I'm
>> surprised that anyone would bother downloading illegal software - it
>> seems to me that there is a free (and usually excellent) alternative
>> to just about every application!

> Not really. While GIMP is nice for quick resize jobs, etc. it really
> doesn't compare to a photo editing app like Photoshop. Likewise (as far
> as I know) there are no freeware CAD programs that even come close to
> AutoCAD.

Yes, really! "Power users" of any given application might have the same
argument as you but "most" applications (I hate generalising!) in my
experience are full of features that "average users" (the majority?) never
need. And so a nice lean fast freeware application is usually just the
ticket for "average" me.

On the Road to Damascus

On Fri, 18 May 2007 16:55:26 GMT, "gavin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"NRen2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:WJZ2i.17207$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> gavin wrote:
>>> "Useful Info" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>
>>> As far as software is concerned, since discovering this newsgroup I'm
>>> surprised that anyone would bother downloading illegal software - it
>>> seems to me that there is a free (and usually excellent) alternative
>>> to just about every application!

>> Not really. While GIMP is nice for quick resize jobs, etc. it really
>> doesn't compare to a photo editing app like Photoshop. Likewise (as far
>> as I know) there are no freeware CAD programs that even come close to
>> AutoCAD.

>Yes, really! "Power users" of any given application might have the same
>argument as you but "most" applications (I hate generalising!) in my
>experience are full of features that "average users" (the majority?) never
>need. And so a nice lean fast freeware application is usually just the
>ticket for "average" me.

Sometimes you can actually do more with freeware. Sometimes not.

NRen2k5

gavin wrote:
> "NRen2k5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WJZ2i.17207$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> gavin wrote:
>>> "Useful Info" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> As far as software is concerned, since discovering this newsgroup I'm
>>> surprised that anyone would bother downloading illegal software - it
>>> seems to me that there is a free (and usually excellent) alternative
>>> to just about every application!

>> Not really. While GIMP is nice for quick resize jobs, etc. it really
>> doesn't compare to a photo editing app like Photoshop. Likewise (as far
>> as I know) there are no freeware CAD programs that even come close to
>> AutoCAD.

> Yes, really! "Power users" of any given application might have the same
> argument as you but "most" applications (I hate generalising!) in my
> experience are full of features that "average users" (the majority?) never
> need. And so a nice lean fast freeware application is usually just the
> ticket for "average" me.

True, that.

Lamey Teh cable Guy

The Great Attractor
<SuperM@ssiveBlackHoleAtTheCenterOfTheMilkyWayGala xy.org> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 16 May 2007 03:56:24 -0700, Useful Info <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Police state rising...
>>Read all about it, here: http://Muvy.org

> It is not a police state, you ****ing retard!
>
> You do not get to ****ing steal. It is *that* simple, dipshit.