Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > ADSL & Cable - How to share printer

ADSL & Cable - How to share printer

Rob

Hi,

Using XP pro on several PC.

I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a Cable
company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for VOIP and
the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to connect their
laptops. However, at present they don't output their work to a network
print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and this is
connected to a router and switch where we have two printers connected which
we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my notebook.

What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the option
via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on the ADSL
Lan.

Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support in
setting up.

Regards, Rob

Lem

Rob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using XP pro on several PC.
>
> I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a Cable
> company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for VOIP and
> the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to connect their
> laptops. However, at present they don't output their work to a network
> print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and this is
> connected to a router and switch where we have two printers connected which
> we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my notebook.
>
> What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the option
> via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on the ADSL
> Lan.
>
> Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support in
> setting up.
>
> Regards, Rob

It sounds as if you have two separate wireless local networks:
1. cable box to wireless router to to wifi-equipped kid's laptops
and
2. DSL modem to wireless router to switch to two printers, study
computer and Dad's wifi-equipped notebook.

Why don't the kids just connect to wifi network 2 when they want to print?

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Rob

Lem,

I agree your suggestion would work but the Cable router is some distance
away from the ADSL wiFi and rather than Access Points, it seemed top be an
option to somehow connect the two networks as they both have hardwired
connections.

I'm sure there is a way to achieve what I'm looking for?

Ta, Rob

"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using XP pro on several PC.
>>
>> I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a
>> Cable company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for
>> VOIP and the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to
>> connect their laptops. However, at present they don't output their work
>> to a network print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and
>> this is connected to a router and switch where we have two printers
>> connected which we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my
>> notebook.
>>
>> What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the
>> option via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on
>> the ADSL Lan.
>>
>> Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support
>> in setting up.
>>
>> Regards, Rob

> It sounds as if you have two separate wireless local networks:
> 1. cable box to wireless router to to wifi-equipped kid's laptops
> and
> 2. DSL modem to wireless router to switch to two printers, study computer
> and Dad's wifi-equipped notebook.
>
> Why don't the kids just connect to wifi network 2 when they want to print?
>
> --
> Lem MS MVP -- Networking

Lem

Rob,

I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to achieve or what you mean
by "connect the two networks." If what you are thinking of is having
the kids send their print jobs out to the Internet through the cable ISP
connection, through the Internet cloud to your DSL ISP, and then back to
Dad's network where the printer is, there is more than one way to
achieve this. If that's not what you want to do, ignore the rest of
this post.

You could set up a VPN between your two networks. See, e.g.,
http://www.awprofessional.com/articl...?p=428701&rl=1

Or you could use Windows' Internet Protocol Printing feature. This
capability is available in Windows XP, although I personally have never
tried it.

Here's what Windows Help & Support says about IPP:
***********************
Connect to an Internet or intranet printer.

Using a printer’s URL allows you to connect to a printer across the
Internet, provided you have permission to use that printer. If you
cannot connect to the printer using the general URL format below, please
see your printer's documentation or contact your network administrator.

Click Connect to a printer on the Internet or on your intranet.
Type the URL to the printer using the following format:
http://printserver_name/Printers/share_name/.printer
************************

There are several steps.

First, you must install Windows Internet Information Service (IIS) on
the computer to which the printer is connected.

Next, you must be able to determine the public IP address of your DSL
connection. Because most DSL ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses, you can
either determine your current external IP by going to a website such as
http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ and then manually get this info from
Dad's computer to the kids' computer or you can use a dynamic DNS
service, such as DynDNS.

Finally, because Dad's computer is on a local network behind a router,
you must configure the router to not block the IPP protocol (TCP port
631) and to open or forward port TCP port 631 to the local IP address of
the Print Server.

All of that seems to me to be more trouble than it's worth, but if you
want to try it, there's a lot of info to be found by Googling for
"internet printing" or "internet printing protocol". Also look in Help
and Support and search the MS Knowledge Base.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307847
http://support.microsoft.com/default...313058&sd=tech

Rob wrote:
> Lem,
>
> I agree your suggestion would work but the Cable router is some distance
> away from the ADSL wiFi and rather than Access Points, it seemed top be an
> option to somehow connect the two networks as they both have hardwired
> connections.
>
> I'm sure there is a way to achieve what I'm looking for?
>
> Ta, Rob
>
> "Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rob wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Using XP pro on several PC.
>>>
>>> I have two broadband connections into our home, one is provided by a
>>> Cable company, the other is ADSL via BT. We use the Cable connection for
>>> VOIP and the wireless router this attached to is used for the kids to
>>> connect their laptops. However, at present they don't output their work
>>> to a network print, they print locally. The other connection is ADSL and
>>> this is connected to a router and switch where we have two printers
>>> connected which we print to from my study and wirelessly when I use my
>>> notebook.
>>>
>>> What we want to do is retain both broadband connections but have the
>>> option via Cable connection to print across the LANs to the printers on
>>> the ADSL Lan.
>>>
>>> Is this possible and if so, any pointers where i might find some support
>>> in setting up.
>>>
>>> Regards, Rob

>> It sounds as if you have two separate wireless local networks:
>> 1. cable box to wireless router to to wifi-equipped kid's laptops
>> and
>> 2. DSL modem to wireless router to switch to two printers, study computer
>> and Dad's wifi-equipped notebook.
>>
>> Why don't the kids just connect to wifi network 2 when they want to print?
>>
>> --
>> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

Lem MS MVP -- Networking