Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Basic Stuff

Basic Stuff

wink.co.nr

Hi guys,
I'm Preetham... I'm new to c++...
I just learnt to make console programs..
I have many doubts.
1. How to stream text, to files...
2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX
3. I wanted to know what reading material I should get, to start
learning windows programming..

Thanks in Advance.
Preetham

Alf P. Steinbach

* wink.co.nr:
> Hi guys,
> I'm Preetham... I'm new to c++...
> I just learnt to make console programs..
> I have many doubts.

In English the last sentence would be "I have many questions"; see <url:
http://www.tfd.com/doubt>.

> 1. How to stream text, to files...

Use e.g. std:fstream. Or just output to std::cout and redirect the
program's output. How to redirect depends on your operating system.

> 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

Off-topic in this newsgroup.

> 3. I wanted to know what reading material I should get, to start
> learning windows programming..

Again, off-topic in this newsgroup. However, this group's FAQ lists
some possibly relevant group. See the FAQ, e.g. at <url:
http://new-brunswick.net/workshop/c++/faq/> in Canada (the parashift.com
server with the latest version seems to be down at the moment).

Hth.,

- Alf

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

Jim Langston

"wink.co.nr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi guys,
> I'm Preetham... I'm new to c++...
> I just learnt to make console programs..
> I have many doubts.
> 1. How to stream text, to files...

Use ofstream. Such as:
std:fstream LogFile("ServerLog.log");
LogFile << "Hello world!\n";

Read up on ofstream and streams.

> 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

Off topic for this group. People who use OpenGL will say OpenGl is better.
People who use DirectX would say DirectX is better.
I would say, if you *only* plan on doing graphics for windows, DirectX seems
to be easier to use for me. If you plan on *ever* writing graphic programs
for other platforms (I.E. Linux) then OpenGL would be the way to go.

> 3. I wanted to know what reading material I should get, to start
> learning windows programming..

Windows programming is OT. A windows newsgroup would be better for this
question.

wink.co.nr

Thanks for your humble replies to my questions and also for the
grammar lesson.

On May 16, 11:13 am, "Alf P. Steinbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * wink.co.nr:
>
> > Hi guys,
> > I'm Preetham... I'm new to c++...
> > I just learnt to make console programs..
> > I have many doubts.

> In English the last sentence would be "I have many questions"; see <url:http://www.tfd.com/doubt>.
>
> > 1. How to stream text, to files...

> Use e.g. std:fstream. Or just output to std::cout and redirect the
> program's output. How to redirect depends on your operating system.
>
> > 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

> Off-topic in this newsgroup.
>
> > 3. I wanted to know what reading material I should get, to start
> > learning windows programming..

> Again, off-topic in this newsgroup. However, this group's FAQ lists
> some possibly relevant group. See the FAQ, e.g. at <url:http://new-brunswick.net/workshop/c++/faq/> in Canada (the parashift.com
> server with the latest version seems to be down at the moment).
>
> Hth.,
>
> - Alf
>
> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

BobR

Jim Langston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ...

> > 2. Which is better OpenGl or DirectX

> Off topic for this group. People who use OpenGL will say OpenGl is

better.
> People who use DirectX would say DirectX is better.
> I would say, if you *only* plan on doing graphics for windows, DirectX

seems
> to be easier to use for me. If you plan on *ever* writing graphic

programs
> for other platforms (I.E. Linux) then OpenGL would be the way to go.

<OT>
FYI: I've read several places that OpenGL is deprecated and now uses
OpenMesa (or somesuch). On Debian, Mesa provides the libs for OpenGL
programming (just install the packages, and no change needed in old
programs. Mine all work without any change.).
But, I may be misinformed, so, the ol' "grain of salt" applies here. <G>

To OP: There is an NG for OpenGL/Mesa (and ms DirectX).

--
Bob R
POVrookie

Re: Basic array stuff richard HTML 1 10-05-2008 10:04 PM
basic if stuff- testing ranges Donn Ingle Python 12 11-26-2007 09:18 PM
Basic stuff Sparko ASP .Net 3 04-20-2005 10:36 AM
What is some basic stuff? Tom C++ 3 12-14-2003 12:46 AM
brief questions on basic stuff mat DVD Video 0 11-25-2003 10:36 PM

Advertisments