Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio 2005 giving warning error about generating *.designer.vb files

Visual Studio 2005 giving warning error about generating *.designer.vb files

Nathan Sokalski

Visual Studio 2005 unexpectedly stopped generating the *.designer.vb files
for *.aspx and *.ascx files. After a few days of frustration trying to fix
this, I noticed that it had the following Warning in the Error List tab at
the bottom of the screen:

Generation of designer file failed: The relative virtual path '?/' is not
allowed here. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\CAT_aspnet\worldnews.aspx 0 0 CAT_aspnet

Three things that I noticed about this warning were the following:

1. The strange foreign character (?) that it says is trying to be used as a
relative virtual path (The strange foreign character may appear as a
question mark or some other character in this message due to formatting)
2. It says it is located at Line 0, Column 0, which is not a valid location
(or if it is, Visual Studio 2005 doesn't show it, since it starts numbering
the lines at 1)
3. I tried opening the file it says the error is in using other text editors
as well, such as Notepad, and there are no unexpected characters there. In
other words, I cannot find the ? character anywhere using any editor.

This Warning appears for all of my *.aspx and *.ascx files, so the strange
foreign character is obviously added by Visual Studio 2005 and is related to
my problem of the *.designer.vb files not being generated, but how do I fix
it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Juan T. Llibre

Nathan,

have you tried posting your VS 2005 question to the VS 2005 forums ?

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...pID=6&SiteID=1

The VS 2005 Development Teams patrol them,
and you're likely to get a more authoritative answer there.

You'll need a Passport/Windows Live ID to be able to post a question there.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
news:(E-Mail Removed)...