Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up wireless router as a simple switch

Setting up wireless router as a simple switch

tbgNick@gmail.com

I have a Comcast SMC8013WG router and a Cisco 2950 switch and running
that order to a Linksys WRT54G router. All I need is wireless
IPs....what do I need to change in the router to get a connection from
the Comcast modem or Cisco switch? I can't even get a connection wired
in.

Lem

> I have a Comcast SMC8013WG router and a Cisco 2950 switch and running
> that order to a Linksys WRT54G router. All I need is wireless
> IPs....what do I need to change in the router to get a connection from
> the Comcast modem or Cisco switch? I can't even get a connection wired
> in.

1. do not use the WAN jack on the WRT54G
2. connect the WRT54G to the switch or router using one of its LAN jacks
3. set the WRT54G LAN IP to the correct subnet used by the DHCP server
in your SMC8013WG
4. disable the DHCP server in the WRT54G

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking