Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ACL 7200

ACL 7200

jackwik@gmail.com

Hi,

I have an interesting issue.
On a 7200 router I have applied an extended access list with permit
and deny of tcp, udp, and ip.
The question I have is as ip and icmp are both network protocols do I
have to implicitly deny icmp or is it sufficient to have deny ip any
any.

TIA.

Jack.

Peter

Hi Jack,

> The question I have is as ip and icmp are both network protocols do I
> have to implicitly deny icmp or is it sufficient to have deny ip any
> any.

ip is the container for icmp, udp & tcp.

Cheers................pk.

--
Peter from Auckland.

Trendkill

On May 15, 1:23 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an interesting issue.
> On a 7200 router I have applied an extended access list with permit
> and deny of tcp, udp, and ip.
> The question I have is as ip and icmp are both network protocols do I
> have to implicitly deny icmp or is it sufficient to have deny ip any
> any.
>
> TIA.
>
> Jack.

Yes, you could permit icmp, and deny IP, and icmp would be allowed
through. But if you denied IP first, icmp would be nixed. I think
(based on your question), that you want to deny icmp, therefore deny
ip any any should take care of it provided you aren't allowing it
through higher up on the list.