Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > bookmarks file to new computer????

bookmarks file to new computer????

Ed Mullen

> On May 16, 8:31 am, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Andy Luddy wrote:
>>> I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
>>> the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
>>> like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
>>> familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
>>> found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
>>> you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
>>> digress into show hidden files, etc.

>> Fair enough. I guess my approach is that it's better to teach people
>> something more in the hopes that it will mean fewer basic questions
>> later.
>>

> for a newbie, File, Export is a lot better than trying to tell someone
> to locate the bookmarks.html file within your profile, and they end up
> asking these questions: Whats a profile? I couldn't find that file,
> now what? How do you unhide files?

I understand that argument. But as I said, if I take the time to point
them to the answers once, I (hopefully) won't have to do it over and
over again. They learn a tiny bit using the import/export thing. But,
if they take the time to go into the detail they learn about profiles,
OS issues, backups, etc. and they are much more equipped to handle
future issues on their own, reducing the repetitive burden on us to
repeat basic answers. And by pointing them to links online for answers,
they might actually bookmark those pages and sites and turn there first
to see if they can solve their own problem before coming to forums like
this without thinking about it.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and
he will eat for a lifetime."

And we won't have to keep feeding him, over and over and over again.

Besides, the export/import thing really upsets my sense of efficiency
and the tendency for some computer users to view the PC as a hammer.
Yes, it's a tool. No, it's not a hammer. Its usage requires a great
deal more of the user for effectiveness.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Dan C wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
>>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
>>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
>>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
>>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric Aros

>> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
>> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
>> Import.
>>

> Sorry for this lame statement: Under the File drop down there is no
> "export" choice, only import (under the print choices). FF 2.0.0.3
>
> So what am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Just copy the bookmarks.html file from one profile to the other. Much
simpler operation.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Miller

*Ed Mullen* wrote on 17.05.07 03:31:

> I understand that argument. But as I said, if I take the time to point
> them to the answers once, I (hopefully) won't have to do it over and
> over again. They learn a tiny bit using the import/export thing. But,
> if they take the time to go into the detail they learn about profiles,
> OS issues, backups, etc. and they are much more equipped to handle
> future issues on their own, reducing the repetitive burden on us to
> repeat basic answers. And by pointing them to links online for answers,
> they might actually bookmark those pages and sites and turn there first
> to see if they can solve their own problem before coming to forums like
> this without thinking about it.

<aL82i.284046$(E-Mail Removed)> I reduced the answer to
the minimum - but i can't imagine someone yet wanted to read or
understand the enclosed links.
So prepare to take the "repetivive burden of repeating basic answers"
for a long long time.

cu, Miller

Ed Mullen

Miller wrote:
> *Ed Mullen* wrote on 17.05.07 03:31:
>
>> I understand that argument. But as I said, if I take the time to point
>> them to the answers once, I (hopefully) won't have to do it over and
>> over again. They learn a tiny bit using the import/export thing. But,
>> if they take the time to go into the detail they learn about profiles,
>> OS issues, backups, etc. and they are much more equipped to handle
>> future issues on their own, reducing the repetitive burden on us to
>> repeat basic answers. And by pointing them to links online for answers,
>> they might actually bookmark those pages and sites and turn there first
>> to see if they can solve their own problem before coming to forums like
>> this without thinking about it.

> <aL82i.284046$(E-Mail Removed)> I reduced the answer to
> the minimum - but i can't imagine someone yet wanted to read or
> understand the enclosed links.
> So prepare to take the "repetivive burden of repeating basic answers"
> for a long long time.
>
> cu, Miller

LOL. Fair enough. But, with that stance, be prepared to, eventually,
have the providers of the answers finally say: "Yo! RTFM!!!" And
I say that with humor and a song in my heart, no malice intended!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

[Anon] just@testing.minion

This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Mixminion
server at sli.mine.nu. If you do not want to receive anonymous
messages, please contact https://sli.mine.nu/contact/.

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Just copy the bookmarks.html file from one profile to the other. Much
> simpler operation.

My next backup will be according to the advice of a friend
who goes one step further by encrypting it once every few
months and parking it on his web site, safe from the customary
hazards associated with disk management )))