Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > bookmarks file to new computer????

bookmarks file to new computer????

Eric

I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Aros

Miller

*Eric* wrote on 15.05.07 04:17:
> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.google.com/custom?q=bookm...ozillazine.org

HTH, Miller

Ed Mullen

Eric wrote:
> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Aros

The file is bookmarks.html. If you're using Windows the folder where it
resides may be hidden and a search will not turn it up. See:

http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html

As I say on that page, you should back up the entire profile, not just
the bookmarks.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Aros

a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
Import.

Ed Mullen

> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric Aros

> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
> Import.

I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged bookmarks.html
file from one folder to the other.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Andy Luddy

Ed Mullen wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
>>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
>>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
>>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
>>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric Aros

>> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
>> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
>> Import.
>>

> I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
> needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged bookmarks.html
> file from one folder to the other.

I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
digress into show hidden files, etc.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply

Ed Mullen

Andy Luddy wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
>>> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
>>> Import.
>>>

>> I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
>> needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged
>> bookmarks.html file from one folder to the other.

> I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
> the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
> like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
> familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
> found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
> you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
> digress into show hidden files, etc.

Fair enough. I guess my approach is that it's better to teach people
something more in the hopes that it will mean fewer basic questions
later.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

On May 16, 8:31 am, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andy Luddy wrote:
> > Ed Mullen wrote:

> >> I gotta ask. Why do people keep recommending this? It's several
> >> needless steps when all you have to do is copy the danged
> >> bookmarks.html file from one folder to the other.

> > I suspect largely because it eliminates the step where you explain to
> > the inexperienced user where the profile is located. It is sufficiently
> > like Save As and Open that all but the most junior of newbies is
> > familiar with it (and anyone unfamiliar with Save As is unlikely to have
> > found Usenet). Particular given that with a default Windows environment
> > you not only have to explain where the profile is but you need to
> > digress into show hidden files, etc.

> Fair enough. I guess my approach is that it's better to teach people
> something more in the hopes that it will mean fewer basic questions
> later.

for a newbie, File, Export is a lot better than trying to tell someone
to locate the bookmarks.html file within your profile, and they end up
asking these questions: Whats a profile? I couldn't find that file,
now what? How do you unhide files?

Dan C

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric Aros

> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
> Import.

Sorry for this lame statement: Under the File drop down
there is no "export" choice, only import (under the print
choices). FF 2.0.0.3

So what am I missing?

Thanks,

Dan

Moz Champion (Dan)

Dan C wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On May 14, 7:17 pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I can't find the file from Mozilla Firefox that allow me to copy where
>>> all of my bookmarks are stored so that I can transfer them to my new
>>> computer. Can someone please help me? I used to be able to just search
>>> for "bookmarks" on my computer when I had Netscape, but doing so with
>>> Mozilla does not locate that file. Any info would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eric Aros

>> a very simple way is from the bookmark manager, click on File,
>> Export. Then when you want to have them on the other computer, File,
>> Import.
>>

> Sorry for this lame statement: Under the File drop down there is no
> "export" choice, only import (under the print choices). FF 2.0.0.3
>
> So what am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Bookmarks-->Organize Bookmarks
that puts you in the Manage Bookmarks window
from there the File menu includes Export