Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Windows java client for the reading RSS & ATOM feeds.

Windows java client for the reading RSS & ATOM feeds.

rdaly

I have been working on this tool in my spare time and I am looking
for peoples' opinions on ease of use and new features that could
possibly be added. The tool has only been tested on jdk 1.4.2 and
above. I look forward to reading about your feedback.

http://code.google.com/p/wireservice/downloads/list

Joe Attardi

rdaly wrote:
> I have been working on this tool in my spare time and I am looking
> for peoples' opinions on ease of use and new features that could
> possibly be added. The tool has only been tested on jdk 1.4.2 and
> above. I look forward to reading about your feedback.

I downloaded the jar file, but when I try to run it I get:

WireServiceConfig.isConfigured(): true
WireServiceURLConnection.run() Users is broken...
java.net.UnknownHostException: Users

Andrew Thompson

rdaly wrote:
..
>..I look forward to reading about your feedback.

>http://code.google.com/p/wireservice/downloads/list

Interesting choice to put the source inside the jar file
without mentioning it. Is that something peculiar to
Google launches?

I note both that is marked as 'Windows compatible',
and the other comment that it crashed on linux. Then
a bit of poking about in your XML file revealed some
quite disturbingly hard coded path references to IE on 'C'
drive. Sheesh what is this? Not just Windows specific,
but even 'IE off C drive only'?

Is the app. as locked in to Windows and IE as I am
beginning to suspect?

In any case, I loaded the app. and saw messages
scrolling across the bottom of the screen, but was
more interested in trying to tie it into the RSS feeds
from the Sun developer forums.

As a result of that, I went into 'Options' (or something)
that seemed related, but it the process of looking into
the definitions for the currently defined feeds, I managed
to get the 'edit' screen to lock up, and could not figure
how to clear it (closing and reopening it had no effect).

In my test - it failed the 'What the heck do I try next?'
test (I could not think of anything - off the top of my
head), and I closed it.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

rdaly

On May 14, 11:26 pm, Joe Attardi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> rdaly wrote:
> > I have been working on this tool in my spare time and I am looking
> > for peoples' opinions on ease of use and new features that could
> > possibly be added. The tool has only been tested on jdk 1.4.2 and
> > above. I look forward to reading about your feedback.

> I downloaded the jar file, but when I try to run it I get:
>
> WireServiceConfig.isConfigured(): true
> WireServiceURLConnection.run() Users is broken...
> java.net.UnknownHostException: Users

Joe,

I am curious to know what OS you tried running the tool on. Presently,
I have only tested it on Windows environments.

Thanks!

Joe Attardi

rdaly wrote:
> I am curious to know what OS you tried running the tool on. Presently,
> I have only tested it on Windows environments.

I ran it on Mac OS X 10.4. I know you said it was a Windows client, but
I wasn't sure if it was cross-platform anyway (since it is written in Java).

rdaly

On May 15, 11:14 am, Joe Attardi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> rdaly wrote:
> > I am curious to know what OS you tried running the tool on. Presently,
> > I have only tested it on Windows environments.

> I ran it on Mac OS X 10.4. I know you said it was a Windows client, but
> I wasn't sure if it was cross-platform anyway (since it is written in Java).

At the moment, I only have access to Windows environments. I would
love to make it work on all platforms at some point. Do you have a
windows machine you could try it on for now?