Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Get activation message after driver update

Get activation message after driver update

Homer J. Simpson

> Actually, their mission isn't to help me fix either my or their problem.
> Their mission is limit the damage from the problem. Fixing the problem
> would require and update that prevented Windows from requiring
> activation after a change of software.
>
> Since it is unlikely that I would ever get a chance to converse with the
> person responsible for the problem, I have to settle for whoever I can
> converse with.

That may be so, but it sounds like you're more interested in the opportunity
to scream at somebody than actually getting the problem fixed.

So go right ahead, I'm sure your screaming will get them to escalate the
problem immediately to someone who can actually do something about it.

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Homer J. Simpson

> If it doesn't, I may not actually scream at someone. I have found that
> speaking softly, forces people to actually listen.

Well, it's great to know that you have some common sense and decency after
all.

> But, I can guarantee that the person I speak with will not find it a
> pleasant experience.

I never inferred you had to make it pleasant. All I'm saying is that you're
much more likely to actually get somewhere if you keep it civilized.
Helpdesk is a thankless entry-level job and most motivated people don't stay
there for very long...if you act like a prick, they won't feel particularly
compelled to go out of their way to help you out or follow up after the
fact.

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Tony Sperling

What you've seen, Feliks, is proof of Einstein's insightful remark that "the
difference between Genius and Idiocy, is that Genius is limited"!

This is further emphasized, by a Registry Hack, employed by MS, and
therefore apparently legal, to expand the Activation Free period to years -
perhaps even infinitely. I cannot remember where I saw this, but you might
in your anger be able to smoke it out on your own?

It may, on reflection, not remain a good idea over time, but may come to
good use during your cooling-down period(s).

(It's things like this, that has had me running at least one Linux machine
for many years now. Not that it negates [E's] remark in any way, but there's
a healthy difference in the difference.)

Tony. . .

Jim

> >> Since it is unlikely that I would ever get a chance to converse with the
> >> person responsible for the problem, I have to settle for whoever I can
> >> converse with.

> > That may be so, but it sounds like you're more interested in the opportunity
> > to scream at somebody than actually getting the problem fixed.

> > So go right ahead, I'm sure your screaming will get them to escalate the
> > problem immediately to someone who can actually do something about it.

> I seriously doubt anyone will do anything about it. It is probably an
> infrequent occurance and may not be reproduceable.
>
> The most likely scenario is that if Vista insists on being activated, I
> will do it online and go on, but with a much lower level of confidence
> in it.
>
> If it doesn't, I may not actually scream at someone. I have found that
> speaking softly, forces people to actually listen. But, I can guarantee
> that the person I speak with will not find it a pleasant experience.
>
> In this politically correct world, that may be frowned upon, but if I am
> going to be inconvenienced, I will share the pain.

> Iron Feliks

Hi,

I just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I, too, enjoy screaming at
Microsoft. And, those people supposed to be "helping" are actually
*agents* of the people *causing* the harm. I am tired of having to
keep reactivating the *same* operating system on the *same* system.
In fact, I keep the (800) activation number in a file so I have it
ready to call. Sometimes it can take as long as one-half hour to get
the new activation code, *and* you have to talk to *several* levels of
Microsoft "employees." (Representatives all over the world.) I
usually try to start with a supervisor if I can, but sometimes the
person who answers the call will actually solve the problem.)
Upgrading BIOSes, changing drivers, and flashing firmware, all seems
to speed up the reactivation process. I've always wondered whether
anyone at Microsoft actually *uses* the products they sell. I have
better things to do with my time than to call Microsoft every few
months and yell at somebody. I'd rather be yelling at my wife or my
dog. <g>

Jim

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Tony:
120 days trick, no registry tampering.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-for-120-days/

1 year trick (legal, with registry modification) and indefinite time trick
(illegal, by stopping countdown timers)
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...ation-forever/

Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> What you've seen, Feliks, is proof of Einstein's insightful remark that "the
> difference between Genius and Idiocy, is that Genius is limited"!
>
> This is further emphasized, by a Registry Hack, employed by MS, and
> therefore apparently legal, to expand the Activation Free period to years -
> perhaps even infinitely. I cannot remember where I saw this, but you might
> in your anger be able to smoke it out on your own?
>
> It may, on reflection, not remain a good idea over time, but may come to
> good use during your cooling-down period(s).
>

> (It's things like this, that has had me running at least one Linux machine
> for many years now. Not that it negates [E's] remark in any way, but there's
> a healthy difference in the difference.)
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Good work, Carlos!

It's far too often that I stumble onto this kind of stuff and forgetting to
save it as a favorite, perhaps I should come up with a IE plug-in that
automagically orders the links history into cross-referencable tables - ah,
but you probably already have a link to something like that?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony:
> 120 days trick, no registry tampering.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-for-120-days/

> 1 year trick (legal, with registry modification) and indefinite time trick
> (illegal, by stopping countdown timers)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...ation-forever/

> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > What you've seen, Feliks, is proof of Einstein's insightful remark that

"the
> > difference between Genius and Idiocy, is that Genius is limited"!
> >
> > This is further emphasized, by a Registry Hack, employed by MS, and
> > therefore apparently legal, to expand the Activation Free period to

years -
> > perhaps even infinitely. I cannot remember where I saw this, but you

might
> > in your anger be able to smoke it out on your own?
> >
> > It may, on reflection, not remain a good idea over time, but may come to
> > good use during your cooling-down period(s).
> >

> > (It's things like this, that has had me running at least one Linux

machine
> > for many years now. Not that it negates [E's] remark in any way, but

there's
> > a healthy difference in the difference.)
> >

> > Tony. . .

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Tony:
I just keep my favorites neatly organized in folders.
Carlos