Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Create Shortcut for Docs & Spreadsheets On Desktop?

Create Shortcut for Docs & Spreadsheets On Desktop?

undefined.rswanson@gmail.com

I am a new user for "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have no formal technical
training on how to use a computer. I am a senior citizen who has used
a computer for 14 years as a business tool. I am just starting to
learn how to use Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have been using
Microsoft Works Suite Word. My computer crashed and had to purchase a
new HP Pavilion that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition and
Internet Explorer 7 which worked with Vista but not Windows XP Home.
Also, a 60-day free trial was included with my new HP. The 60 days has
expired and now I find out that the new Windows Word Suite erased my
previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95. I live on Social Security
and cannot afford to pay for any new software. Thus, I am trying
Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". Can someone please tell me how to
create a shortcut on the desktop. Thanks!

meerkat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am a new user for "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have no formal technical
> training on how to use a computer. I am a senior citizen who has used
> a computer for 14 years as a business tool. I am just starting to
> learn how to use Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have been using
> Microsoft Works Suite Word. My computer crashed and had to purchase a
> new HP Pavilion that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition and
> Internet Explorer 7 which worked with Vista but not Windows XP Home.
> Also, a 60-day free trial was included with my new HP. The 60 days has
> expired and now I find out that the new Windows Word Suite erased my
> previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
> Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95. I live on Social Security
> and cannot afford to pay for any new software. Thus, I am trying
> Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". Can someone please tell me how to
> create a shortcut on the desktop. Thanks!

Perhaps better to ask your question here...
http://groups.google.com/group/GoogleDocsSpreadsheets/

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am a new user for "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have no formal technical
> training on how to use a computer. I am a senior citizen who has used
> a computer for 14 years as a business tool. I am just starting to
> learn how to use Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have been using
> Microsoft Works Suite Word. My computer crashed and had to purchase a
> new HP Pavilion that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition and
> Internet Explorer 7 which worked with Vista but not Windows XP Home.
> Also, a 60-day free trial was included with my new HP. The 60 days has
> expired and now I find out that the new Windows Word Suite erased my
> previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
> Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95. I live on Social Security
> and cannot afford to pay for any new software. Thus, I am trying
> Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". Can someone please tell me how to
> create a shortcut on the desktop. Thanks!

I have a much better solution for you. Download and install the FREE
software called Open Office. It has a file format that is nearly identical
to the Microsoft Office products. This way, your documents and spreadsheets
are LOCAL and not stored on someone else's computer.

What it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

Where to get it:
www.openoffice.org
http://www.download.com/OpenOffice/3...ml?tag=lst-0-8

(I posted the second link because I'm not getting a connection to the first
one right now.)

Mike Easter

> I am a new user for "Docs & Spreadsheets".

I haven't used that, I'm just clarifying some other issues, not the
shortcut business.

> I have been using
> Microsoft Works Suite Word.

The Works Suite includes Works which has numerous parts including a
Works word processor, Word which includes a more powerful word processor
plus some parts specific to Word not Works. Typically a 'free sample'
of some kind of office product like Word and its parts which is only
temporary doesn't apply to the Works part, which Works part you get to
keep and continue to use.

> My computer crashed and had to purchase a
> new HP Pavilion that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition and
> Internet Explorer 7 which worked with Vista but not Windows XP Home.

That part/sentence doesn't make sense. Win XP will run IE7. Vista
comes with IE7 as a 'feature'. The most common operating system
included with a new computer purchase today is Vista, but it is still
possible to buy a computer with XP instead of Vista.

> Also, a 60-day free trial was included with my new HP. The 60 days has
> expired and now I find out that the new Windows Word Suite erased my
> previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
> Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95.

It is very common for Office related products such as Word to 'take
over' -- then if they 'die' because they are a temporary or conditional
application, they don't leave cleanly. The $130 for Word with Works
isn't actually a bad deal, considering that retail for one of the Office
suites with Word costs a lot more than that -- not that I'm recommending
you pay for it, just that MS Office suites which include Word are
expensive.

There are freestanding Office applications which have most of the
features of the MS Office suite and which are free, such as Open Office.
You may find that you like that better than the google deal - I've used
Open Office, but I haven't used google's apps.

--
Mike Easter

WhzzKdd

news:4648b3b4$0$97256$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I am a new user for "Docs & Spreadsheets".

> I haven't used that, I'm just clarifying some other issues, not the
> shortcut business.
>
>> I have been using
>> Microsoft Works Suite Word.

> The Works Suite includes Works which has numerous parts including a
> Works word processor, Word which includes a more powerful word processor
> plus some parts specific to Word not Works. Typically a 'free sample'
> of some kind of office product like Word and its parts which is only
> temporary doesn't apply to the Works part, which Works part you get to
> keep and continue to use.

Not all versions of Works included Word as the word processor. And
currently, there are two versions of Works 8.5 - one without Word, and one
with it, which is what I would guess the OP was talking about below.

>> Also, a 60-day free trial was included with my new HP. The 60 days has
>> expired and now I find out that the new Windows Word Suite erased my
>> previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
>> Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95.

> There are freestanding Office applications which have most of the
> features of the MS Office suite and which are free, such as Open Office.
> You may find that you like that better than the google deal - I've used
> Open Office, but I haven't used google's apps.

Like I want my data in the hands of Google. NOT!

Mike Easter

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> The Works Suite includes Works which has numerous parts including a
>> Works word processor, Word which includes a more powerful word
>> processor plus some parts specific to Word not Works. Typically a
>> 'free sample' of some kind of office product like Word and its parts
>> which is only temporary doesn't apply to the Works part, which Works
>> part you get to keep and continue to use.
>>

> Not all versions of Works included Word as the word processor.

Correct. 'Regular' Works is a little 'suite' of Works related apps.
But I think [all I've ever seen] what MS calls 'Works Suite' is the
Works little 'suite-let' + Word + some other minor parts of MS Office -
but not the major Office apps except for Word.

I recently got a good deal at Fry's on a Compaq which came with WinXP +
Works + 'Try MS Office for 60 days' + a bunch of other MS addons.

> And
> currently, there are two versions of Works 8.5 - one without Word,
> and one with it, which is what I would guess the OP was talking about
> below.

Here's what I'm familiar with at MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/order.aspx Compare products,
features and prices. -- Which Works Product is right for you? --
Microsoft Works 8 - Microsoft Works Suite 2006

... which Works comes with all the little Works gizmos and which Suite
comes with that stuff + Word 2002, Digital Image, Money, Encarta,
Streets & Trips.

That Works suite is not too bad a deal, especially if you can avoid
paying full retail for it. As many things as I don't like about MS, the
reason that Word is so popular with people who have access to it is that
it is a good word processor. And some people love Streets & Trips, and
Encarta is not bad to have around.

--
Mike Easter

dfrog

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am a new user for "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have no formal technical
> training on how to use a computer. I am a senior citizen who has used
> a computer for 14 years as a business tool. I am just starting to
> learn how to use Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". I have been using
> Microsoft Works Suite Word. My computer crashed and had to purchase a
> new HP Pavilion that was pre-loaded with Windows XP Home Edition and
> Internet Explorer 7 which worked with Vista but not Windows XP Home.
> Also, a 60-day free trial was included with my new HP. The 60 days has
> expired and now I find out that the new Windows Word Suite erased my
> previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
> Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95. I live on Social Security
> and cannot afford to pay for any new software. Thus, I am trying
> Google's "Docs & Spreadsheets". Can someone please tell me how to
> create a shortcut on the desktop. Thanks!

R,

Some good advice from the others, but from Meerkat's lead you would find
this answer>>

"If you are using MS-Internet Explorer this is very easy.
At the left of the http -address http://docs.google.com you will find a
little icon. Drag this to your desktop."

hope this helps

dfrog

WhzzKdd

news:4648e108$0$97265$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"

> ...Works comes with all the little Works gizmos and which Suite
> comes with that stuff + Word 2002, Digital Image, Money, Encarta,
> Streets & Trips.
>
> That Works suite is not too bad a deal, especially if you can avoid
> paying full retail for it. As many things as I don't like about MS, the
> reason that Word is so popular with people who have access to it is that
> it is a good word processor. And some people love Streets & Trips, and
> Encarta is not bad to have around.

I don't care much for Word, since I started with Wordstar, then Word
Perfect, and then Ami Pro (Lotus - now Word Pro). Word is on my PC only for
compatibility with other people at work <g>

That Streets and Trips thing was great - I used it a lot myself. I also have
a similar program from Rand McNally (which is no longer available). But the
rest of the Works package never gets installed anymore.

If I /were/ shopping for Works Suite, I'd be on eBay. I've seen it really
cheap there. Maybe the OP can check that out as well as Open Office.

Gordon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> previous software that worked fine, but to get the new Word Works
> Suite, I have to purchase it for $129.95. I live on Social Security
> and cannot afford to pay for any new software.

Then try Open Office - it's free and is easily the equivalent of Office
2002.
get it here:
www.openoffice.org