Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Why is overloading operator. (member operator) forbidden?

Why is overloading operator. (member operator) forbidden?

Andrew Koenig

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> I was wondering, why is overloading operator. (period) forbidden?

Because no one ever brought a coherent, workable proposal to the standards
committee for how the feature should be defined. There was one person--I
forget his name--who made such a proposal on Usenet, but whenever anyone
tried to ask questions about potential problems with his proposal, he became
angry. This anger discouraged others from pursuing the issue.

James Kanze

On May 16, 3:59 pm, "Andrew Koenig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> > I was wondering, why is overloading operator. (period) forbidden?

> Because no one ever brought a coherent, workable proposal to
> the standards committee for how the feature should be defined.
> There was one person--I forget his name--who made such a
> proposal on Usenet, but whenever anyone tried to ask questions
> about potential problems with his proposal, he became angry.
> This anger discouraged others from pursuing the issue.

IIRC, he did make a formal proposal. As you said, however,
there was a personality clash, with the result that the
discussion generated more heat than light, and the concrete
issues didn't get addressed.

--
James Kanze (Gabi Software) email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)