Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Vivitar X60 anyone?

Vivitar X60 anyone?

Robert Sneddon

I'm starting to narrow my choices for a pocketable P&S to take on a
long trip later this summer. I want everything for as little cash as
possible, of course... The new Vivitar X60 seems to have a good spec for
a pocketable -- 10Mp, 6x zoom, image stabilisation, a large display, CCD
sensor etc. but I can't find any real reviews of it on the Web, just
reprints of the manufacturer's blurb. Is there a candid review of this
camera anywhere out there? Anyone reading this group have an X60 and an
opinion on what it's like?
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

cgiorgio

Vivitar is just one of many importers / dealers selling this OEM camera, it
is available under perhaps a dozen or more different names worldwide. For
example you can get it under the name Avant S10x6 in Skandinavia . There is
no optical image stabilisation, just firmware raising the ISO sensitivity
under low light. They are built by one of the largest digital camera OEM
manufacturers in China (Foxconn, formerly Premier Image). In fully automatic
you can expect fairly average point and shoot results, build quality is not
bad. Do not expect any outstanding features or performance however. There
have been compromises taken to achieve a low end user price.

"Robert Sneddon" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm starting to narrow my choices for a pocketable P&S to take on a
> long trip later this summer. I want everything for as little cash as
> possible, of course... The new Vivitar X60 seems to have a good spec for
> a pocketable -- 10Mp, 6x zoom, image stabilisation, a large display, CCD
> sensor etc. but I can't find any real reviews of it on the Web, just
> reprints of the manufacturer's blurb. Is there a candid review of this
> camera anywhere out there? Anyone reading this group have an X60 and an
> opinion on what it's like?
> --
> To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

PhotoFanatic

Vivitar is just a badge, these cameras are made in many thousands and sold
under many different names including Practica and Halina. You are likely to
be buying a relatively poor camera. I had two Vivitar point and shoots. They
literally fell to pieces with only light use. Also their sensors were never
as described, both of mine interpolated the image size up to 3Mp and 5Mp
respectively, when in reality they were equipped with sub 2Mp sensors. Lens
quality was terrible, and images produced were even poor at snapshot sizes.

Spend just a little more, maybe take a look at Fuji or Olympus, you wont
regret it.

If you are in the UK, take a look at Morgan computers, they have branches
around the country and a web site at
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/?adnetwork=af
,there you can get refurbished or brand new digital cameras that have simply
been superceded by latest models, but full featured and very very cheap -
they currently have a range of Olympus, Fuji, Nikon and Minolta digital
point and shoot cameras - well worth a look.

I dont work for Morgan by the way, but I am a frequent customer for their
computers, and I notice they carry a very full range of good cameras at very
good prices.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...