Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Deleting program from Start up

Deleting program from Start up

jimfisher32@hotmail.com

I used msconfig to attempt to delete a couple of programs from Start
list.
I got an error message saying I would have to log in using an
Administrator Account.
What do I change to accomplish that ??
Thanks

Aardvark

On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:58:29 +0000, jimfisher32 wrote:

> I used msconfig to attempt to delete a couple of programs from Start
> list.
> I got an error message saying I would have to log in using an
> Administrator Account.
> What do I change to accomplish that ?? Thanks

What OS?

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

jimfisher32@hotmail.com

I'm sorry - XP PRO

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:05:47 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:58:29 +0000, jimfisher32 wrote:
>
>> I used msconfig to attempt to delete a couple of programs from Start
>> list.
>> I got an error message saying I would have to log in using an
>> Administrator Account.
>> What do I change to accomplish that ?? Thanks

>What OS?

Aardvark

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:59:53 +0000, jimfisher32 wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:05:47 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:58:29 +0000, jimfisher32 wrote:
>>
>>> I used msconfig to attempt to delete a couple of programs from Start
>>> list.
>>> I got an error message saying I would have to log in using an
>>> Administrator Account.
>>> What do I change to accomplish that ?? Thanks

>>What OS?

> I'm sorry - XP PRO

Reboot into safe mode (or safe mode with networking). You do this by
pressing F8 while booting up. Start hitting the F8 key when the POST
screen shows and you'll get the boot menu. Use the arrow keys to make
your choice then hit enter.

The Administrator password by default in XP is blank, so unless you
changed it for something else just click on the 'Administrator' icon then
'Enter'. Now you're signed in as adfmin you can do what you want to do.

HTH

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

Vanguard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I used msconfig to attempt to delete a couple of programs from Start
> list.
> I got an error message saying I would have to log in using an
> Administrator Account.
> What do I change to accomplish that ??
> Thanks

If already logged in under an admin-level account, just ignore it.
Click the OK or whatever button to close that popup, reboot, and you'll
notice the items no longer load. Remember to select the checkbox when
you login after the reboot to quit redisplaying the dialog telling you
about your prior change using msconfig; otherwise, you'll see it on
every startup of Windows.

By the way, deselecting them in msconfig is not the same as deleting
them. Not exactly. msconfig moves the entry from the Run registry key
into a placeholder registry key. That is why you can reselect the item
which has msconfig move it from the placeholder registry key back to the
Run registry key. Other utilities, like SysInternals' AutoRuns, will
actually delete the Run registry key.

Before putzing around with msconfig or other similar startup managers,
have you yet looked into the configuration or options for the program(s)
to see if there already exists a means of not loading the program(s) on
startup?

olfart

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:93G1i.24761$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:59:53 +0000, jimfisher32 wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:05:47 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>What OS?

>> I'm sorry - XP PRO
>>

> Reboot into safe mode (or safe mode with networking). You do this by
> pressing F8 while booting up. Start hitting the F8 key when the POST
> screen shows and you'll get the boot menu. Use the arrow keys to make
> your choice then hit enter.
>
> The Administrator password by default in XP is blank, so unless you
> changed it for something else just click on the 'Administrator' icon then
> 'Enter'. Now you're signed in as adfmin you can do what you want to do.
>
> HTH

Go to www.mlin.net and download Startup Control Panel

Blinky the Shark

olfart wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:93G1i.24761$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:59:53 +0000, jimfisher32 wrote:

>>> I'm sorry - XP PRO
>>>

>> Reboot into safe mode (or safe mode with networking). You do this by
>> pressing F8 while booting up. Start hitting the F8 key when the POST
>> screen shows and you'll get the boot menu. Use the arrow keys to make
>> your choice then hit enter.
>>
>> The Administrator password by default in XP is blank, so unless you
>> changed it for something else just click on the 'Administrator' icon then
>> 'Enter'. Now you're signed in as adfmin you can do what you want to do.
>>
>> HTH
>>

> Go to www.mlin.net and download Startup Control Panel

Now there's an enduring little utility. I think Mike was something like
14 when he coded that.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

jimfisher32@hotmail.com

Thanks evryone for the help. I got the Start up Panel program and it
did the trick. Thanks abain for the help