Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Getting Discouraged -- Insights Please

Getting Discouraged -- Insights Please

Noble

I have several hundred dollars in Java books and not to mention
several hours of time invested in learning the language.

I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.

All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
applications. Am I wasting my time here?

Thanks in advance,
Noble

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Noble wrote:
> I have several hundred dollars in Java books and not to mention
> several hours of time invested in learning the language.
>
> I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
> wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.
>
> All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
> applications. Am I wasting my time here?

If you look at any job site, then you will see that Java
knowledge is highly in demand, so Java skills are not
wasted.

Whether your shareware desktop app will be a success or
not I do not know. I don't think shareware is popular these
days, but if the app is worth the money, then people will
buy it.

Arne

Luc The Perverse

"Noble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have several hundred dollars in Java books and not to mention
> several hours of time invested in learning the language.
>
> I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
> wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.
>
> All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
> applications. Am I wasting my time here?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Noble

The vast majority of people who download software that they search for on
the internet don't know and don't care what language it is written in. On
the flip side, the majority of the same crowd are windows users

There is a group of anti Java zealots passing on and complaing about
antiquated information. It is their right to carry on whatever warped
beliefs that they want. The truth is, that Java performance is good enough
for most any kind of application you could want. The overhead of
downloading the JVM is comparable to a .NET platform.

If you want to search for anti-microsoft, anti-mac, anti-java etc.
propeganda you will find a lot of it. Popular platforms are going to be
targetted the most. So many people use Java to program it is amazing!

Good luck getting through the next "several hours" of study without getting
discouraged further!

--
LTP

Mike Schilling

"Noble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have several hundred dollars in Java books and not to mention
> several hours of time invested in learning the language.
>
> I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
> wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.

That's mostly politics. Lots of developers use Java successfully.

> All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
> applications. Am I wasting my time here?

It depends on what your applications are for. Java is good at many things,
but it can't do everything. If other people are using Java to build similar
apps, you should be fine. On the other hand, if you're trying to build
(say) an application like "top" on Unix or the Task Manager on Windows,
you'll have a difficult time in Java, because it's not good at making the
sort of OS-specific calls needed to get the displayed information.

In general, anyone who says either that Java sucks or that there's no reason
to use any other language can be safely ignored.

Eric Smith

Noble <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
> wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.

You can find people that gripe about anything.

> All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
> applications. Am I wasting my time here?

No. Unless you have unusual requirements it's fine for that.

Jordi

Hi Noble,

Don't hesitate and use Java, as it comes by default on most OS.
I am developing my solution in Java.
All that criticism about Java is from the past, when people feared
security holes.

Now Java is really safe and most people use it.

You will always find technoidiots elsewhere.

Jordi

On 13 mayo, 05:32, Noble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have several hundred dollars in Java books and not to mention
> several hours of time invested in learning the language.
>
> I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
> wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.
>
> All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
> applications. Am I wasting my time here?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Noble

Noble

Thanks everyone for your candid responses. I will continue to study
and see where that ends me up.

Thanks again,
nb

Leonard Milcin Jr.

Noble wrote:
> I have several hundred dollars in Java books and not to mention
> several hours of time invested in learning the language.

Believe me, you'll have to spend much, much more time to learn Java to
be able to use it professionally. But for now you don't have to spend a
lot of money on it. Books are fine, but you'll find that most of the
knowledge needed for a beginner is already available on the Internet.
There are tutorials and documentation on Sun's homepage. There is a good
book for newbies written by Bruce Eckel (Thinking In Java) that is
available for free.

> I see allot of messages and text on the Internet about people not
> wanting to use Java to write programs and that they do not like Java.

And a lot hating Muslims or Christians or Windows or Linux users. Like
with everything you'll find people that love Java and people that hate it.

> All I want to do is use Java to create crossplatform shareware desktop
> applications. Am I wasting my time here?

No, you're not wasting time. Java is one of ways to create crossplatform
desktop application.

Regards,
Leonard Milcin

Noble

Thanks for the insight. I have heard about Bruce's work. But I have
also heard that he is now mud because of his work with the new Adobe
Flex stuff. I know you can't believe everything that you hear though.

I was thinking about reading the "Head First Java" book. I have
completed a book from John Smiley called "Learn to Program Java".

Where can I find that free book from Bruce?

nb

Andrew Thompson

Noble wrote:
>Where can I find that free book from Bruce?

It is generally made available as a PDF.
<http://www.google.com/search?as_epq=thinking+in+java&as_filetype=pdf>

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

MCSD Insights or What I learned on the way to MCSD.NET Cert land.... charlie MCSD 9 02-26-2004 09:17 PM
[newbie] Discouraged after reading MS Press "Programming ASP.NET" - Esposito JayWay ASP .Net 3 01-12-2004 07:28 PM
292 insights lastcall MCSA 5 11-25-2003 01:43 PM
speed issue on sluggish CF card - any insights please? Rendered Digital Photography 8 11-16-2003 09:07 PM
Some SCO insights - from a kiwi! Howard NZ Computing 3 11-11-2003 11:23 AM

Advertisments