Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox and lowes.com

Firefox and lowes.com

History Fan

Does anyone here ever get script error messages when viewing lowes.com
with Firefox? This happens to me all the time. The page will freeze up for
several seconds, then a small window pops up telling me a script is having
problems with this page. Do I want to continue running this script.
Doesn't matter which choice I select, because the browser is frozen solid.
My PC is running XP Home SP2, DSL connection, Firefox 2.0.0.3.

I have since configured IE Tab to use the Internet Explorer engine
when visiting lowes.com.

Leonidas Jones

History Fan wrote:
> Does anyone here ever get script error messages when viewing lowes.com
> with Firefox? This happens to me all the time. The page will freeze up for
> several seconds, then a small window pops up telling me a script is having
> problems with this page. Do I want to continue running this script.
> Doesn't matter which choice I select, because the browser is frozen solid.
> My PC is running XP Home SP2, DSL connection, Firefox 2.0.0.3.
>
> I have since configured IE Tab to use the Internet Explorer engine
> when visiting lowes.com.

No problem here, on either OS X or XP. Is there something in particular
that you do at this site that seems to cause the problem? I just went
in, clicked a bunch of links and buttons, and everything seemed to work
fine.

Lee

Karl S

On Sat, 12 May 2007 09:29:14 -0400, History Fan wrote:

> Does anyone here ever get script error messages when viewing lowes.com
> with Firefox? This happens to me all the time. The page will freeze up for
> several seconds, then a small window pops up telling me a script is having
> problems with this page.

I am doing some remodeling and have used lowes.com a lot lately to gather
information and have had no problems. Try visiting the site with Firefox in
safe mode to see if an extension is causing your problem.

On May 12, 6:29 am, "History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Does anyone here ever get script error messages when viewing lowes.com
> with Firefox? This happens to me all the time. The page will freeze up for
> several seconds, then a small window pops up telling me a script is having
> problems with this page. Do I want to continue running this script.
> Doesn't matter which choice I select, because the browser is frozen solid.
> My PC is running XP Home SP2, DSL connection, Firefox 2.0.0.3.
>
> I have since configured IE Tab to use the Internet Explorer engine
> when visiting lowes.com.

do you have noscripts, or adblock, or flash block installed? Mabye one
of these is blocking, otherwise, the site works just fine.

Are you have the problem on ALL pages or just some. If some, then
post a direct link.

History Fan

> do you have noscripts, or adblock, or flash block installed? Mabye one
> of these is blocking, otherwise, the site works just fine.

I have AdBlockPlus installed, and at first I thought that was the
culprit. I deactivated it for lowes.com and everything seemed to be fine.
I clicked on link after link with no problem. This morning, I visited
lowes.com again, typed in a keyword, and by the 2nd or 3rd link, my browser
froze up again, and I saw the script error window.

Andy Luddy

History Fan wrote:
>> do you have noscripts, or adblock, or flash block installed? Mabye one
>> of these is blocking, otherwise, the site works just fine.
>>

> I have AdBlockPlus installed, and at first I thought that was the
> culprit. I deactivated it for lowes.com and everything seemed to be fine.
> I clicked on link after link with no problem. This morning, I visited
> lowes.com again, typed in a keyword, and by the 2nd or 3rd link, my browser
> froze up again, and I saw the script error window.

It is possible that the script in question is coming from a different
address than lowes.com, so perhaps enabling lowes.com in AdBlockPlus
worked as a general fix, but when a script came from a different IP
address, it was blocked again.

If the error is repeatable, perhaps trying it in safe mode will be
informative.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jason_L_=A9?=

History Fan wrote:
>> do you have noscripts, or adblock, or flash block installed? Mabye one
>> of these is blocking, otherwise, the site works just fine.
>>

> I have AdBlockPlus installed, and at first I thought that was the
> culprit. I deactivated it for lowes.com and everything seemed to be fine.
> I clicked on link after link with no problem. This morning, I visited
> lowes.com again, typed in a keyword, and by the 2nd or 3rd link, my browser
> froze up again, and I saw the script error window.

Just for the record...I have been having the same problem at Lowes.com
Compare to my extensions, themes, & plugins.....something has to be
causing the problem.

Extensions (enabled: 42, disabled: 3):

* Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.5
* Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
* Add Bookmark Here 0.5.5
* All-in-One Gestures 0.18.0
* Auto Copy 0.6.4
* Classic Menus for Winstripe 2.5
* Clipmarks 2.0.4
* ColorfulTabs 2.0.2
* ColorZilla 1.0
* Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE) 4.0.5
* FireFTP 0.96.4
* FoxNotes 2.6.5
* Google Notebook 1.0.0.16
* Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.0.20070420W
* gTranslate 0.3.1
* IE Tab 1.3.2.20070404
* IE View 1.3.3
* Image Toolbar 0.6.4
* ImageBot 3.4.5
* InfoLister 0.9f
* Java Console 6.0.01 [disabled]
* Kodak EasyShare Gallery Companion 1.0.9.2
* McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.3 [disabled]
* MeasureIt 0.3.6
* Menu Editor 1.2.3.3
* MySpace PFF Addon 0.3
* No Go Buttons 0.1.1
* Notefish 1.0.1.11
* OpenDownload 1.0.0
* Restart Firefox 0.3
* Rewind/Fastforward Buttons 1.4.2006100801
* Sage 1.3.10
* Save As Image 1.044
* ScribeFire 1.4.0.1
* Searchbar Autosizer 1.3.7
* Speed Dial 0.2.1
* StumbleUpon 3.05
* Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2
* Unofficial Myspace Toolbar 1.4.9
* URL Link 2.01.0
* ViewSourceWith 0.0.9
* WellRounded 0.43 [disabled]
* Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool 2006.10.5
* Yahoo! Toolbar 1.4.0.20070112
* yourminis.com HUD 1.0.1.2

Themes (3):

* Firefox (default) 2.0
* Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 3.371
* Phoenity Modern 0.6.07.04.02 [selected]

Plugins (17):

* Adobe Acrobat
* AOL Media Playback Plugin
* IE Tab Plug-in
* Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U1
* McAfee Clinic
* MetaStream 3 Plugin
* Microsoft® DRM
* MoveNetworks Quantum Media Player
* Mozilla Default Plug-in
* QuickTime Plug-in 7.1.6
* RealJukebox NS Plugin
* RealPlayer Version Plugin
* RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
* Shockwave Flash
* Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
* Yahoo Application State Plugin
* Yahoo! activeX Plug-in Bridge

Moz Champion (Dan)

Jason L © wrote:
> History Fan wrote:
>>> do you have noscripts, or adblock, or flash block installed? Mabye one
>>> of these is blocking, otherwise, the site works just fine.
>>>

>> I have AdBlockPlus installed, and at first I thought that was the
>> culprit. I deactivated it for lowes.com and everything seemed to be
>> fine. I clicked on link after link with no problem. This morning, I
>> visited lowes.com again, typed in a keyword, and by the 2nd or 3rd
>> link, my browser froze up again, and I saw the script error window.
>>

> Just for the record...I have been having the same problem at Lowes.com
> Compare to my extensions, themes, & plugins.....something has to be
> causing the problem.

Have you tried the site in safe mode?

Doing so temporarily disables extensions and themes to see if they are
impacting on the problem.

On May 18, 6:00 am, Jason L © <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Extensions (enabled: 42, disabled: 3):
>
> * Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.0.5
> * Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
> * Add Bookmark Here 0.5.5
> * All-in-One Gestures 0.18.0
> * Auto Copy 0.6.4
> * Classic Menus for Winstripe 2.5
> * Clipmarks 2.0.4
> * ColorfulTabs 2.0.2
> * ColorZilla 1.0
> * Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE) 4.0.5
> * FireFTP 0.96.4
> * FoxNotes 2.6.5
> * Google Notebook 1.0.0.16
> * Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.0.20070420W
> * gTranslate 0.3.1
> * IE Tab 1.3.2.20070404
> * IE View 1.3.3
> * Image Toolbar 0.6.4
> * ImageBot 3.4.5
> * InfoLister 0.9f
> * Java Console 6.0.01 [disabled]
> * Kodak EasyShare Gallery Companion 1.0.9.2
> * McAfee SiteAdvisor 26.3 [disabled]
> * MeasureIt 0.3.6
> * Menu Editor 1.2.3.3
> * MySpace PFF Addon 0.3
> * No Go Buttons 0.1.1
> * Notefish 1.0.1.11
> * OpenDownload 1.0.0
> * Restart Firefox 0.3
> * Rewind/Fastforward Buttons 1.4.2006100801
> * Sage 1.3.10
> * Save As Image 1.044
> * ScribeFire 1.4.0.1
> * Searchbar Autosizer 1.3.7
> * Speed Dial 0.2.1
> * StumbleUpon 3.05
> * Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2
> * Unofficial Myspace Toolbar 1.4.9
> * URL Link 2.01.0
> * ViewSourceWith 0.0.9
> * WellRounded 0.43 [disabled]
> * Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool 2006.10.5
> * Yahoo! Toolbar 1.4.0.20070112
> * yourminis.com HUD 1.0.1.2

oh good golly miss molly! Do you really need all those extensions?
The more you have, the more problems you could experience.

Ed Mullen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 18, 6:00 am, Jason L © <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Extensions (enabled: 42, disabled: 3):

> oh good golly miss molly! Do you really need all those extensions?
> The more you have, the more problems you could experience.

Not "could" experience but "WILL" experience. Geez. forty-eleven
extensions installed and he's still asking: "How could this not work?"

I would rather ask: "How /could/ this possibly be expected to work?"

Assume a unique developer for each extension. And the core product is
open source and is developed by an (almost) infinite number of
programmers. And you expect this to work? Good luck.

It's the dancing bear syndrome: It's not how well the bear dances, it's
that he dances at all that is amazing.

To the OP: minimize your chances for failure/problems: get rid of
every extension that you don't really need. Mozilla does not manage nor
endorse extensions; they are created by other people, not managed, not
certified, not validated, by anyone. Extensions are a total crap shoot:
That is, a complete gamble. Installing any extension is "at your own
risk."

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net