Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > initializing bitset with variable number of bits

initializing bitset with variable number of bits

zacariaz@gmail.com

The subject isnt very clear, but ill do my best to explain.

In a class in need a bitset which size is defined by the constructor,
e.g. something like this:

class Example {
std::bitset<?>Bs;
public:
Example(int input) {
? = input;
}
};

Now, my knowledge in c++ is simply to limited to work around this. I
know that in order to use a variable to initialize a bitset, it has to
be constant, but allso the constant variable has to be initialized
imidiadly, and ofcourse it all has to be done in the right order,
otherwise nothing will make sence or work for that matter. Im confused
and i hope you canhelp.

Regards

Victor Bazarov

> The subject isnt very clear, but ill do my best to explain.
>
> In a class in need a bitset which size is defined by the constructor,
> e.g. something like this:
>
> class Example {
> std::bitset<?>Bs;

Since the size of the bitset is part of its _type_ definition, bitsets
with different sizes would mean that your 'Example' would have members
of different types. That means those are different 'Example' _types_.
You can only achieve that by making 'Example' a template.

> public:
> Example(int input) {
> ? = input;
> }
> };
>
> Now, my knowledge in c++ is simply to limited to work around this.

Actually, C++ is simply limited, not your knowledge. C++ does not
allow to have the same _class_ to contain different types of members
depending on some run-time condition.

> know that in order to use a variable to initialize a bitset, it has to
> be constant, but allso the constant variable has to be initialized
> imidiadly, and ofcourse it all has to be done in the right order,
> otherwise nothing will make sence or work for that matter. Im confused
> and i hope you canhelp.

template<size_t n>
class Example {
std::bitset<n> Bs;
public:
};

Example<12> e12;

Now, _types_ have to be fixed at the compile time. You cannot create
types during run-time. That's the main limitation.

Perhaps you can roll your own "bitset", instead of using the standard
template... Think 'std::vector<bool>', which has dynamic _size_.

zacariaz@gmail.com

On 12 Maj, 00:23, "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > The subject isnt very clear, but ill do my best to explain.

> > In a class in need a bitset which size is defined by the constructor,
> > e.g. something like this:

> > class Example {
> > std::bitset<?>Bs;

> Since the size of the bitset is part of its _type_ definition, bitsets
> with different sizes would mean that your 'Example' would have members
> of different types. That means those are different 'Example' _types_.
> You can only achieve that by making 'Example' a template.
>
> > public:
> > Example(int input) {
> > ? = input;
> > }
> > };

> > Now, my knowledge in c++ is simply to limited to work around this.

> Actually, C++ is simply limited, not your knowledge. C++ does not
> allow to have the same _class_ to contain different types of members
> depending on some run-time condition.

> > know that in order to use a variable to initialize a bitset, it has to
> > be constant, but allso the constant variable has to be initialized
> > imidiadly, and ofcourse it all has to be done in the right order,
> > otherwise nothing will make sence or work for that matter. Im confused
> > and i hope you canhelp.

> template<size_t n>
> class Example {
> std::bitset<n> Bs;
> public:
>
> };

> Example<12> e12;
>
> Now, _types_ have to be fixed at the compile time. You cannot create
> types during run-time. That's the main limitation.
>
> Perhaps you can roll your own "bitset", instead of using the standard
> template... Think 'std::vector<bool>', which has dynamic _size_.

I thought vector<bool> was obsolete, but it might the solution,
however it is my experience, and i might be wrong, that vector<bool>
uses one byte of memory per bool, and if that the case it is
definently not the solution.

Anyhow, thanks for now.

zacariaz@gmail.com

> I thought vector<bool> was obsolete...

I was of course thinking of the bitvector ot bit_vector? cant
remember, anyway i still seem to remember that vector<bool> takes up
one byte of memory per bit, which, as i wrote before, is a problem.

Bo Persson

::: (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
:::: The subject isnt very clear, but ill do my best to explain.
:::
:::: In a class in need a bitset which size is defined by the
:::: constructor, e.g. something like this:
:::
:::: class Example {
:::: std::bitset<?>Bs;
:::
::: Since the size of the bitset is part of its _type_ definition,
::: bitsets with different sizes would mean that your 'Example' would
::: have members of different types. That means those are different
::: 'Example' _types_. You can only achieve that by making 'Example' a
::: template.
:::
:::: public:
:::: Example(int input) {
:::: ? = input;
:::: }
:::: };
:::
:::: Now, my knowledge in c++ is simply to limited to work around this.
:::
::: Actually, C++ is simply limited, not your knowledge. C++ does not
::: allow to have the same _class_ to contain different types of members
::: depending on some run-time condition.
:::
:::: I
:::: know that in order to use a variable to initialize a bitset, it
:::: has to be constant, but allso the constant variable has to be
:::: initialized imidiadly, and ofcourse it all has to be done in the
:::: right order, otherwise nothing will make sence or work for that
:::: matter. Im confused and i hope you canhelp.
:::
::: template<size_t n>
::: class Example {
::: std::bitset<n> Bs;
::: public:
::: ...
:::
::: };
:::
::: ...
::: Example<12> e12;
::: ...
:::
::: Now, _types_ have to be fixed at the compile time. You cannot
::: create types during run-time. That's the main limitation.
:::
::: Perhaps you can roll your own "bitset", instead of using the
::: standard template... Think 'std::vector<bool>', which has dynamic
::: _size_.
:::
:: I thought vector<bool> was obsolete, but it might the solution,
:: however it is my experience, and i might be wrong, that vector<bool>
:: uses one byte of memory per bool, and if that the case it is
:: definently not the solution.
::
:: Anyhow, thanks for now.

No, vector<bool> uses one bit per element, which IS its problem. This might
be good for you, but in general we would expect a vector<bool> to store
bools.

Bo Persson

xman

> In a class in need a bitset which size is defined by the constructor,
> e.g. something like this:
>
> class Example {
> std::bitset<?>Bs;
> public:
> Example(int input) {
> ? = input;
> }
>
> };

Perhaps you can try dynamic_bitset in boost library.
http://www.boost.org/libs/dynamic_bi...ic_bitset.html

BobR

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > I thought vector<bool> was obsolete...

> I was of course thinking of the bitvector ot bit_vector? cant
> remember, anyway i still seem to remember that vector<bool> takes up
> one byte of memory per bit, which, as i wrote before, is a problem.

Here is a little snippet I was playing with. Maybe it will give you an idea.
(You seem 'hep' enough to figure out the #includes. <G>)

{ // main or func
using std::cout; // for NG posts
bool bl(true);
std::vector<std::bitset<1> > VecBit( 7, 1 );
// note 'bitset' does not have the '.at()' member.
if( bl == VecBit.at(0)[0] ){
cout<<"VecBit.at(0)="<<VecBit.at(0)<<std::endl;
cout<<" ="<<std::boolalpha<<VecBit.at(0)[0]
<<std::endl;
}
// out: VecBit.at(0)=1
// out: =true

// Example (stl docs)
std::bit_vector V(5);
V[0] = true;
V[1] = false;
V[2] = false;
V[3] = true;
V[4] = false;
for(std::bit_vector::iterator i( V.begin() ); i < V.end(); ++i){
cout<<" "<<std::boolalpha<<(*i)<<std::endl;
}
cout <<std::endl;
}

Of course, 'vector<bitset<> >' is WAY more inefficient than 'vector<bool>',
but I left it in there just to show it could be done. <G>
'std::bit_vector' sounds like what you want.

--
Bob R
POVrookie