Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsgroup Servers

Newsgroup Servers

Sherry

Thought at one time there was a usenet group for discussion on
servers, can't seem to find it any more. Anyone?

Been using newshosting for over 2 years but they seem to be going down
hill past couple of months. Comments/Recommendations?

Mike Easter

Sherry wrote:
> Thought at one time there was a usenet group for discussion on
> servers, can't seem to find it any more. Anyone?
>
> Been using newshosting for over 2 years but they seem to be going down
> hill past couple of months. Comments/Recommendations?

Pay ng is alt.usenet.news-server.comparison

Free ng is alt.free.newsservers

Which commercial NSP you choose depends on various factors about what
your needs are. Or, you can do a lot with free newsservers. If you are
into binaries you have to consider retention and completeness from
redundancy. If you are into text, you might also want to consider
retention if you don't want to try to google something google doesn't
have.

--
Mike Easter

Plato

Sherry wrote:

> Thought at one time there was a usenet group for discussion on
> servers, can't seem to find it any more. Anyone?
>
> Been using newshosting for over 2 years but they seem to be going down
> hill past couple of months. Comments/Recommendations?

http://www.newscene.com/
Never had a problem with the above service.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Sherry

Thanks Plato, I used them before I went to newshosting.com. Newscene
was ok, but they were not responsive to adding new groups, so I
switched to Newshoting, wich was very good for a while, but I
understand someone bought them out and since then things have gotten
progressivly worse as far as fixing problems. My last request on
problems had to do with both speed on article download and inability
to get new headers in certain groups. Had the same problem a month ago
and they fixed it, now they are telling me to try a different
newsreader.........I have been using agent since long before using
them, so time to find someone else, looks like giganews may be my best
bet, but pricey.

On 12 May 2007 15:40:13 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

>Sherry wrote:
>>
>> Thought at one time there was a usenet group for discussion on
>> servers, can't seem to find it any more. Anyone?
>>
>> Been using newshosting for over 2 years but they seem to be going down
>> hill past couple of months. Comments/Recommendations?

>http://www.newscene.com/
>Never had a problem with the above service.

Sherry

On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:04:36 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Sherry wrote:
>> Thought at one time there was a usenet group for discussion on
>> servers, can't seem to find it any more. Anyone?
>>
>> Been using newshosting for over 2 years but they seem to be going down
>> hill past couple of months. Comments/Recommendations?

>Pay ng is alt.usenet.news-server.comparison
>
>Free ng is alt.free.newsservers
>
>Which commercial NSP you choose depends on various factors about what
>your needs are. Or, you can do a lot with free newsservers. If you are
>into binaries you have to consider retention and completeness from
>redundancy. If you are into text, you might also want to consider
>retention if you don't want to try to google something google doesn't
>have.

Thanks Mike, found it. I don't mind paying as long as I get what I pay
for. Free and ISP servers just don't cut it.

Blinky the Shark

http://news.individual.net

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Plato

Sherry wrote:

> Thanks Plato, I used them before I went to newshosting.com. Newscene
> was ok, but they were not responsive to adding new groups, so I

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like good newshosters are fading fast.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/