Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Where do I go from here?

Where do I go from here?

=?Utf-8?B?QnJldHRC?=

I completed the following 5 Windows 2000 exams several years ago(2001) and
then got out of the certification frame of mind. Now I'm interested in
completing my MCSE, but I'm not sure what my options are. I've looked at
their curriculam planner, but honestly, it dosent make much sense. I'd like
to ultimately have my Windows 2003 MCSE.

The courses I completed were:
216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network
Infrastructure
219 Designing a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory
Services Infrastructure
215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
Server
210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
Professional

Where should I go from here?

Thanks

Montreal MCT

Hi Brett,

The first thing I would do is get your workstation exam out of the way -
Either 70-210 or 70-270. Once you have done that I would consider 70-218
which will give you your MCSA on Windows 2000.

From there I would take 70-292, the upgrade exam to MCSA on Windows Server
2003. After that we'll talk again, but those three will get you on the
right track.

Good luck!

"BrettB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I completed the following 5 Windows 2000 exams several years ago(2001) and
> then got out of the certification frame of mind. Now I'm interested in
> completing my MCSE, but I'm not sure what my options are. I've looked at
> their curriculam planner, but honestly, it dosent make much sense. I'd
> like
> to ultimately have my Windows 2003 MCSE.
>
> The courses I completed were:
> 216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network
> Infrastructure
> 219 Designing a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
> 217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory
> Services Infrastructure
> 215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
> Server
> 210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
> Professional
>
> Where should I go from here?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QnJldHRC?=

Thanks for the response...I've already taken the 70-210 exam, so It looks
like the next step is the 70-218.

So after completing that, and completing the upgrade, I'd be a MCSA in 2003.
From there is it possible to take 1-2 current exams to have a 2003 MCSE, or
do i have to upgrade all of my old exams?

"Montreal MCT" wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> The first thing I would do is get your workstation exam out of the way -
> Either 70-210 or 70-270. Once you have done that I would consider 70-218
> which will give you your MCSA on Windows 2000.
>
> From there I would take 70-292, the upgrade exam to MCSA on Windows Server
> 2003. After that we'll talk again, but those three will get you on the
> right track.
>
> Good luck!

> "BrettB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I completed the following 5 Windows 2000 exams several years ago(2001) and
> > then got out of the certification frame of mind. Now I'm interested in
> > completing my MCSE, but I'm not sure what my options are. I've looked at
> > their curriculam planner, but honestly, it dosent make much sense. I'd
> > like
> > to ultimately have my Windows 2003 MCSE.
> >
> > The courses I completed were:
> > 216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network
> > Infrastructure
> > 219 Designing a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
> > 217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory
> > Services Infrastructure
> > 215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
> > Server
> > 210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
> > Professional
> >
> > Where should I go from here?
> >
> > Thanks

catwalker63

Montreal MCT piffled away vaguely:

> "BrettB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I'd like to ultimately have my Windows 2003 MCSE.
>>
>> The courses I completed were:
>> 216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network
>> Infrastructure
>> 219 Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
>> 217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory
>> Services Infrastructure
>> 215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000
>> Server
>> 210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000
>> Professional

> The first thing I would do is get your workstation exam out of the way -
> Either 70-210 or 70-270. Once you have done that I would consider 70-218
> which will give you your MCSA on Windows 2000.
>
> From there I would take 70-292, the upgrade exam to MCSA on Windows Server
> 2003. After that we'll talk again, but those three will get you on the
> right track.

I'm going to disagree. Finish your W2K MCSA/MCSE with 70-218 and one
more elective -- go to the MCSE 2000 description to find a list of
elective exams:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...uirements.mspx

Then upgrade to MCSA/MCSE 2003 with 70-292 and 70-296.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?=

Hey Brett, Catwalker has a great point here. You obviously have experience
on the 2000 platform and are very close to your credentials there.

Complete the track while it is still availible THEN use that to gain a 2
exam upgrade path to the 2003 platform.

With 3-4 exams, you then set yourself up with multiple credentials. Which
is going to look like the more experienced candidate? The guy with 6 years
and an MCSE 2003 or the guy with 6 years of experience and both the MCSE 2000
and the MCSE 2003?

It sounds like this would probably be your most effective investment in your
career.
--
Wayne Anderson

"catwalker63" wrote:

> Montreal MCT piffled away vaguely:
>

> > "BrettB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I'd like to ultimately have my Windows 2003 MCSE.
> >>
> >> The courses I completed were:
> >> 216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network
> >> Infrastructure
> >> 219 Designing a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
> >> 217 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Directory
> >> Services Infrastructure
> >> 215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
> >> Server
> >> 210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000
> >> Professional

> > The first thing I would do is get your workstation exam out of the way -
> > Either 70-210 or 70-270. Once you have done that I would consider 70-218
> > which will give you your MCSA on Windows 2000.
> >
> > From there I would take 70-292, the upgrade exam to MCSA on Windows Server
> > 2003. After that we'll talk again, but those three will get you on the
> > right track.

> I'm going to disagree. Finish your W2K MCSA/MCSE with 70-218 and one
> more elective -- go to the MCSE 2000 description to find a list of
> elective exams:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...uirements.mspx
>
> Then upgrade to MCSA/MCSE 2003 with 70-292 and 70-296.
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

=?Utf-8?B?QnJldHRC?=

Thanks again for everyones replies...

I like the idea of completing my 2000 MCSA/MCSE by taking 70-218 and most
likely 70-284 (Exchange 2003).

With the 2000 -> 2003 upgrade exams expiring 3/31/08, what are the options
going to be for my 2003 MCSA/MCSE if i can't complete 4 exams in the next 10
months. From what i can tell by reading the 2003 requirements, some of my
2000 exams/certifications may still count toward the 2003 requirements.

"Wayne Anderson" wrote:

> Hey Brett, Catwalker has a great point here. You obviously have experience
> on the 2000 platform and are very close to your credentials there.
>
> Complete the track while it is still availible THEN use that to gain a 2
> exam upgrade path to the 2003 platform.
>
> With 3-4 exams, you then set yourself up with multiple credentials. Which
> is going to look like the more experienced candidate? The guy with 6 years
> and an MCSE 2003 or the guy with 6 years of experience and both the MCSE 2000
> and the MCSE 2003?
>
> It sounds like this would probably be your most effective investment in your
> career.
> --
> Wayne Anderson
> http://blog.avanadeadvisor.com/blogs/waynea/
>

> "catwalker63" wrote:
>
> > Montreal MCT piffled away vaguely:
> >

> > > "BrettB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > The first thing I would do is get your workstation exam out of the way -
> > > Either 70-210 or 70-270. Once you have done that I would consider 70-218
> > > which will give you your MCSA on Windows 2000.
> > >
> > > From there I would take 70-292, the upgrade exam to MCSA on Windows Server
> > > 2003. After that we'll talk again, but those three will get you on the
> > > right track.

> > I'm going to disagree. Finish your W2K MCSA/MCSE with 70-218 and one
> > more elective -- go to the MCSE 2000 description to find a list of
> > elective exams:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...uirements.mspx
> >
> > Then upgrade to MCSA/MCSE 2003 with 70-292 and 70-296.
> > --
> >
> > Catwalker
> > MCNGP #43
> > www.mcngp.com
> > "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

Montreal MCT

Hi Brett,

Though I know that a lot of the next-gen exams apply to the previous-gen
certs (Windows 2003 exams apply for Windows 2000 certs) I am pretty sure it
does not work the other way around. If you miss the boat on the upgrade
exams I do believe that you will have to retake all of the exams. The only
exception to that is the workstation exam, with 70-210 qualifying as the
workstation exam for MCSA 2003 (so does 70-620, Configuring Windows Vista).

Good luck to you!