Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Where it all started

Where it all started

JaR

This was node one.

http://www.lk.cs.ucla.edu/LK/Inet/birth.html

IMP #2 went into Englebart at SRI; IMP #3 to UC-Santa Barbara;
IMP #4 to University of Utah. That was it in 1969: a four-note
ARPAnet.

JaR
Historic Thug

=meanoldman=

I heard about that on NPR this morning. Today is the 35th anniversary of
the internet. Well sort of. Today is the anniversary of the installation
of first computer with wan capabilities but it didn't have a second one to
communicate with until months later.

news:Xns95585CA21A5EEplentespamsuxsofthom@207.46.2 48.16...
> This was node one.
>
> http://www.lk.cs.ucla.edu/LK/Inet/birth.html
>
> IMP #2 went into Englebart at SRI; IMP #3 to UC-Santa Barbara;
> IMP #4 to University of Utah. That was it in 1969: a four-note
> ARPAnet.
>
> JaR
> Historic Thug

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

=meanoldman= wrote:
> I heard about that on NPR this morning. Today is the 35th
> anniversary of the internet. Well sort of. Today is the anniversary
> of the installation of first computer with wan capabilities but it
> didn't have a second one to communicate with until months later.

Isn't that sort of like inventing ONE telephone? Then waiting a few months
to make another?

--
Fris "Our current hold time is... three months" bee®, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.com

Certaholics

Jerz

Hmmm.... shouldn't Al Gore be in that picture?

news:Xns95585CA21A5EEplentespamsuxsofthom@207.46.2 48.16...
> This was node one.
>
> http://www.lk.cs.ucla.edu/LK/Inet/birth.html
>
> IMP #2 went into Englebart at SRI; IMP #3 to UC-Santa Barbara;
> IMP #4 to University of Utah. That was it in 1969: a four-note
> ARPAnet.
>
> JaR
> Historic Thug

Laura A. Robinson

circa Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:42:01 -0400, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
((E-Mail Removed)) said,
> =meanoldman= wrote:
> > I heard about that on NPR this morning. Today is the 35th
> > anniversary of the internet. Well sort of. Today is the anniversary
> > of the installation of first computer with wan capabilities but it
> > didn't have a second one to communicate with until months later.

> Isn't that sort of like inventing ONE telephone? Then waiting a few months
> to make another?

Well, modems were *really* slow back then, so there wasn't a rush or
anything...
-Oscar Wilde

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

Laura A. Robinson wrote:
> circa Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:42:01 -0400, in
> microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
> ((E-Mail Removed)) said,
>> =meanoldman= wrote:
>>> I heard about that on NPR this morning. Today is the 35th
>>> anniversary of the internet. Well sort of. Today is the
>>> anniversary of the installation of first computer with wan
>>> capabilities but it didn't have a second one to communicate with
>>> until months later.

>> Isn't that sort of like inventing ONE telephone? Then waiting a few
>> months to make another?
>>

> Well, modems were *really* slow back then, so there wasn't a rush or
> anything...

PotD