Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IP address question

IP address question

Daave

Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
the following cryptic statement:

"Hi, mito, just for fun!"

A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
for hexrpg.com?!

Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
(67 errors):

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline

Any explanations?

For those who want to join the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...64f87818dbb32c

Old Gringo

On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
>
> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
> the following cryptic statement:
>
> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
>
> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
> for hexrpg.com?!
>
> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
> (67 errors):
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline
>
> Any explanations?
>
> For those who want to join the thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...64f87818dbb32c

Site opened fine here:
Welcome to Hogwarts Extreme, the longest-lasting, most fun, most
realistic Harry Potter Role-Playing website on the internet. Are you
a member of our website yet? If not, enroll today here! Have fun with
the activities, classes, dorms, clubs, houses, dueling, shopping,
owlpost, community, and much more!
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Who is: http://tinyurl.com/24cvgr
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
5/10/2007 11:12:10 PM CST

Old Gringo

On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
>
> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
> the following cryptic statement:
>
> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
>
> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
> for hexrpg.com?!
>
> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
> (67 errors):
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline
>
> Any explanations?
>
> For those who want to join the thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...64f87818dbb32c

About Us will give you a wealth of information:

Hogwarts Extreme - About Us

All HEX staff keep HEX up and running. To do this, ideas are put to
action, scripts are updated, and the users are managed to make HEX a
great place. Hogwarts Extreme was created on August 23, 2001. The
people that run HEX consist of the Head Staff (administrators), Staff
Members, and the Global Moderators.

Head Staff (Administrators)

>>> John

Joined Staff: January 20, 2002
Duties: Head, Programmer, Site security
Location: Oklahoma, USA

What is your real first name? John
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
5/10/2007 11:28:53 PM CST

Old Gringo

On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
>
> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained only
> the following cryptic statement:
>
> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
>
> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the registrant is
> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
> for hexrpg.com?!
>
> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
> (67 errors):
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline
>
> Any explanations?
>
> For those who want to join the thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...64f87818dbb32c

www.hexrpg.com
Location of the Host IP address
67.15.230.41:
Houston in United States.
Click here for big Host satellite map.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
5/10/2007 11:43:31 PM CST

Daave

Old Gringo wrote:
> On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
> Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
>> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
>> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is
>> (supposed
>> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
>> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>> <HTML><HEAD>
>> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
>> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
>> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
>>
>> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained
>> only
>> the following cryptic statement:
>>
>> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
>>
>> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the
>> registrant is
>> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
>> for hexrpg.com?!
>>
>> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
>> (67 errors):

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline

>> Any explanations?
>>
>> For those who want to join the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...64f87818dbb32c

> www.hexrpg.com
> Location of the Host IP address
> 67.15.230.41:
> Houston in United States.
> Click here for big Host satellite map.

Lots of responses, but none answer my question!

Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?

I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
>
>Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
>doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
>
>I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

Ping -a -r 9 <both ways> gives the same results
ev1s-67-15-230-41.ev1servers.net:http

One oddity, using TCPview
67.15.230.41 always gets just one connection
hexrpg.com gets three or more connections

--
Woman drives into a puddle
http://poetry.rotten.com/suzuki/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Daave wrote:

>>> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
>>> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is
>>> (supposed to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address
>>> yields a different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code
>>> is merely:

> Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
>
> Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
> doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
>
> I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

I thought we had this settled. hexrpg.com is on a shared web host
server, possibly with a thousand other web sites. They all have the same
IP address. You need to enter the actual domain name to get to the
"Hogwarts Extreme" site.

If your browser does not take you to the site, you may need to flush
your DNS.

http://www.tech-faq.com/flush-dns.shtml

--
-bts

Tester

On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, "Daave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
>www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is (supposed
>to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
>different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:

There can be more than one website at a given IP.

The website http://www.hexrpg.com is equivaleng to

telnet 67.15.230.41 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
HOST: www.hexrpg.com

The website http://67.15.230.41 is equivalent to

telnet 67.15.230.41 80
GET / HTTP/1.0

or equivalently

GET / HTTP/1.1
HOST: 67.15.230.41

If you want to browse a website named www.whatthefck.ca and either
you can't resolve the address but you know what it should be or the IP
has changed but you want to see the old website which hasn't been
taken down you put a line in your hosts file like

255.254.253.252 www.whatthefck.ca

Your hosts file is in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in
XP/Vista
It is in C:\windows\hosts in 98/ME
It is in /etc/hosts in Linux

DNS looks at your hosts file before it goes to your ISP's DNS server.

Old Gringo

On Or About Sat, 12 May 2007 01:55:44 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

> Old Gringo wrote:
>> On Or About Thu, 10 May 2007 22:48:00 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
>> Or Thinking Twice, Daave Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
>> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>>
>>> Someone in another newsgroup is having difficulty accessing
>>> www.hexrpg.com. I determined that the IP address for this is
>>> (supposed
>>> to be) 67.15.230.41. However, entering that IP address yields a
>>> different page. Actually it's a blank page, and the code is merely:
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>>> <HTML><HEAD>
>>> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
>>> charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
>>> <BODY></BODY></HTML>
>>>
>>> And a few days ago, this IP address yielded a page that contained
>>> only
>>> the following cryptic statement:
>>>
>>> "Hi, mito, just for fun!"
>>>
>>> A WHOIS search result on Network Solutions showed that the
>>> registrant is
>>> Domains By Proxy. Is there any way to determine the *real* IP address
>>> for hexrpg.com?!
>>>
>>> Also, (for what it's worth) I noticed that the site failed validation
>>> (67 errors):
>>>

> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...doctype=Inline
>>>
>>> Any explanations?
>>>
>>> For those who want to join the thread:
>>>

> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...64f87818dbb32c
>>
>> www.hexrpg.com
>> Location of the Host IP address
>> 67.15.230.41:
>> Houston in United States.
>> Click here for big Host satellite map.

> Lots of responses, but none answer my question!
>
> Briefly, if the IP address of this site is 67.15.230.41, then why
> doesn't entering http://67.15.230.41/ yield the same result?
>
> I'm guessing this is a DNS issue, but I'm not really sure.

All of the sites at 67.15.230.41 are listed under bout us on the home
page @ www.hexrpg.com and there are a bunch of them.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest