Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > This is impressive

This is impressive

Aardvark

Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.

BTW I have no connection

http://www.landmineclearance.com/

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Kraftee

Aardvark wrote:
> Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now.
> There was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
>
> BTW I have no connection
>
> http://www.landmineclearance.com/

Old idea in a new format, nice to see the circular theory of
developement in operation

Blinky the Shark

Aardvark wrote:
> Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
> was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
>
> BTW I have no connection
>
> http://www.landmineclearance.com/

<yawn>

The tank-mounted mine flail was first used over 60 years ago,
in World War II.

First image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_flail

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Aardvark

On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:59:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> The tank-mounted mine flail was first used over 60 years ago, in World
> War II.

I know that. Here in the UK they were called (somewhat strangely) Frail
tanks (or flail tanks). What struck me about the Aardvark was the fact
that it's operated by one man protected by 2 inches of armour and 2 inch
armoured glass, as well as the scoop at the front right behind the chain
flails.

In the programme, the camera was inside the with the operator when an
anti-tank mine was detonated. The cab shook slightly and a muffled thump
was heard. That's what I found impressive. I've seen and heard a number
of explosive devices detonating in the past and the minimal effect on the
occupants of the machine was pretty cool.

--

Aardvark wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:59:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> The tank-mounted mine flail was first used over 60 years ago, in World
>> War II.

> I know that. Here in the UK they were called (somewhat strangely) Frail
> tanks (or flail tanks). What struck me about the Aardvark was the fact

Yeah, "frail tanks" is kinda odd.

> that it's operated by one man protected by 2 inches of armour and 2 inch
> armoured glass, as well as the scoop at the front right behind the chain
> flails.

Ah. I thought it was just the concept of the...frail <g> that struck
you.

> In the programme, the camera was inside the with the operator when an
> anti-tank mine was detonated. The cab shook slightly and a muffled thump
> was heard. That's what I found impressive. I've seen and heard a number
> of explosive devices detonating in the past and the minimal effect on the
> occupants of the machine was pretty cool.

Gotcha.

That's not a Future Weapons I've seen. I don't have cable, but my buddy
records those and we watch them together. Might not have that one,
since you just saw it and his DVR just broke and I think he only got the
replacement from his satellite provider today. (He's the only reason I
get to see "Dogfight", too, which is a tres bitchin' show.)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Alfred

On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:59:33 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
>was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
>
>BTW I have no connection
>
>http://www.landmineclearance.com/

An update on WW2 flail tanks used for mine clearing

example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg

Or
http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshist...tankmuseum.jpg

Aardvark

On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:19:54 +0100, Alfred wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:59:33 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
>>was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
>>
>>BTW I have no connection
>>
>>http://www.landmineclearance.com/

> An update on WW2 flail tanks used for mine clearing
>
> example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg
>
> Or
> http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshist...tankmuseum.jpg

Yep. The original flail tanks. One on a Sherman and the other on an
indeterminate WW2 British tank.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

Alfred

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:44:58 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:19:54 +0100, Alfred wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:59:33 GMT, Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
>>>was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
>>>
>>>BTW I have no connection
>>>
>>>http://www.landmineclearance.com/

>> An update on WW2 flail tanks used for mine clearing
>>
>> example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg
>>
>> Or
>> http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshist...tankmuseum.jpg

>Yep. The original flail tanks. One on a Sherman and the other on an
>indeterminate WW2 British tank.

The British one is a Scorpion light tank from the 1970s. I actually
thought they were still in use but a check on the net shows they were
taken out of service in the early 90s.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg

Lucky guy who gets to sit up front.

--
MicroSoft sued for not using DRM :}
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/05/11/1248219.shtml

Aardvark

On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:58:27 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

> Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg

> Lucky guy who gets to sit up front.

His ears would be ringing after a day's work

A modern anti-tank mine containing 10kg of modern high explosive would
blow the whole front end off the original flail tanks.