Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32bit upgrade to 64bit

32bit upgrade to 64bit

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgRA==?=

I have a Dell PE1850 that is running Windows 2003 Server (32bit). This server
is a Virtual Server hosting several Microsoft VM's. I discovered that I can
not create a 64bit VM because the host OS is 32bit. My question is this: Can
you upgrade a 32bit server to 64bit?

TIA Larry

Jane C

No. You would have to perform a clean install as there is no direct upgrade
path from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS.

Do bear in mind that both Microsoft products, Virtual Server and Virtual PC,
have no support for any 64 bit guests.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Larry D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell PE1850 that is running Windows 2003 Server (32bit). This
>server
> is a Virtual Server hosting several Microsoft VM's. I discovered that I
> can
> not create a 64bit VM because the host OS is 32bit. My question is this:
> Can
> you upgrade a 32bit server to 64bit?
>
> TIA Larry

Colin Barnhorst

You cannot create 64bit guests no matter the host OS with Virtual Server, as
Jane C says. If you need 64bit guests try VMWare Workstation 6 (final just
released). I believe that the host OS can be either 32bit or 64bit.

"Larry D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell PE1850 that is running Windows 2003 Server (32bit). This
>server
> is a Virtual Server hosting several Microsoft VM's. I discovered that I
> can
> not create a 64bit VM because the host OS is 32bit. My question is this:
> Can
> you upgrade a 32bit server to 64bit?
>
> TIA Larry

Charlie Russel - MVP

No 64-bit VMs in any Microsoft virtualization product at this time,
regardless of your host OS. You can use VMWare, however, to do what you want
and you don't need to install 64-bit Windows.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64