Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > frameset problem in ie6

frameset problem in ie6

betty.noir@gmail.com

Hi; I'm working on a frameset site for a class final project and I've
got two fairly big problems: the first is that there does not seem to
be any ww3-valid way to make the ugly gray frame-lines vanish.

The bigger deal is that one of my frames is sort of intermittently
unreactive only in ie6. The design is such that I have a nav frame and
a content frame on a site displaying art pieces as images. When I
navigate to text-only pagges, they display with no problem in my
"main" content slot. However, NONE of the image pages will appear in
that slot. Even when I view the source of that frame only, the code is
all still there and all correct, and the background styles itself
according to my css rules, but neither the text or images of the image
html docs will appear only in IE6, only in that frame. yikes! Has
anyone run into anything similar? A co-worker strongly recommended I
come to you.

Thanks!
christine

Neredbojias

On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:43:11 GMT scribed:

> Hi; I'm working on a frameset site for a class final project and I've
> got two fairly big problems: the first is that there does not seem to
> be any ww3-valid way to make the ugly gray frame-lines vanish.
>
> The bigger deal is that one of my frames is sort of intermittently
> unreactive only in ie6. The design is such that I have a nav frame and
> a content frame on a site displaying art pieces as images. When I
> navigate to text-only pagges, they display with no problem in my
> "main" content slot. However, NONE of the image pages will appear in
> that slot. Even when I view the source of that frame only, the code is
> all still there and all correct, and the background styles itself
> according to my css rules, but neither the text or images of the image
> html docs will appear only in IE6, only in that frame. yikes! Has
> anyone run into anything similar? A co-worker strongly recommended I
> come to you.

The answer is, of course, that you probably made a mistake. However,
without a url to look at, helping you would probably be a pointless and
frustrating endeavor.

--
Neredbojias

betty.noir@gmail.com

of course. It's buried deep in a school server, so I made this:
www.chrisbean.notlong.com

It's really silly, I should have done fake frameset look with css, but
it's due tomorrow, so no time to rearchitect the entire thing. Any
help is adored.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> www.chrisbean.notlong.com

Browsers are all over the place with frames and their borders. It
is a black art. Your instructions in the frameset are deprecated
or not allowed for the doctype used. Some browsers show the
borders and some don't.

In some browsers I would say that something like this will get
you no borders:

frameset, frame {border: 4px solid red;}

Put this in the head.

And, btw, why not also add:

img {border: 0;}

in the above style to be rid of ugly borders that go around some
of your left navigation links in some browsers (Firefox eg)

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> of course. It's buried deep in a school server, so I made this:
> www.chrisbean.notlong.com
>
> It's really silly, I should have done fake frameset look with css, but
> it's due tomorrow, so no time to rearchitect the entire thing. Any
> help is adored.

If you have to do it for an assignment, go ahead, but then forget all
about framed sites the next day.

--
-bts

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > www.chrisbean.notlong.com

> Browsers are all over the place with frames and their borders. It
> is a black art. Your instructions in the frameset are deprecated
> or not allowed for the doctype used. Some browsers show the
> borders and some don't.
>
> In some browsers I would say that something like this will get
> you no borders:

> frameset, frame {border: 4px solid red;}

Oops, I was testing, sorry, and forgot to change my text back to,
of course, {border: 0}

--
dorayme

John Hosking

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi; I'm working on a frameset site for a class final project and I've
> got two fairly big problems

You mean besides the one you already mentioned

> : the first is that there does not seem to
> be any ww3-valid way to make the ugly gray frame-lines vanish.

Have you tried with the frameborder="0" moved to the <frame> element
where it belongs?

Also, the framespacing attribute is deprecated for XHTML 1.0, so if you
want one, you'll have to drop the other (or stop worrying about
conformance). I don't know what your course requirements are, but maybe
(unlikely though it is) IE is messed up from invalid coding. "Border"
doesn't seem to be valid for frames either, but don't quote me on that
one; I just haven't found it in my hurried dash through the W3C specs.
Caveat: I last touched frames in the previous millenium, and didn't
exactly enjoy them much back then, either.

> The bigger deal is that one of my frames is sort of intermittently
> unreactive only in ie6. The design is such that I have a nav frame and
> a content frame on a site displaying art pieces as images. When I
> navigate to text-only pagges, they display with no problem in my
> "main" content slot. However, NONE of the image pages will appear in
> that slot. Even when I view the source of that frame only, the code is
> all still there and all correct, and the background styles itself
> according to my css rules, but neither the text or images of the image
> html docs will appear only in IE6, only in that frame.

I understand & see this problem in my IE6 (after a couple of attempts
and re-reading your description twice), but can't explain it or help
you. Sorry.

> A co-worker strongly recommended I come to you.

Suggest to your boss that that co-worker be fired.

HTH, somehow. GL!
--
John

Neredbojias

On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:05:35 GMT scribed:

> of course. It's buried deep in a school server, so I made this:
> www.chrisbean.notlong.com
>
> It's really silly, I should have done fake frameset look with css, but
> it's due tomorrow, so no time to rearchitect the entire thing. Any
> help is adored.

I think the problem ultimately is that you are using pngs, which sometimes
display improperly in ie6. Using invisible-background gifs will allow the
page background to show through clearly.

--
Neredbojias