Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Broken pipe

Broken pipe

Tim Slattery

My webapp is generating "Broken Pipe" errors
(java.net.SocketException). I can't figure out what "broken pipe"
means. I've tried Google. Can somebody translate this for me?

FWIW: the exception occurs while evaluating a Struts <logic:iterate>
group in a JSP page.

--
Tim Slattery
http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

Gordon Beaton

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:11:25 -0400, Tim Slattery wrote:
> My webapp is generating "Broken Pipe" errors
> (java.net.SocketException). I can't figure out what "broken pipe"
> means. I've tried Google. Can somebody translate this for me?
>
> FWIW: the exception occurs while evaluating a Struts <logic:iterate>
> group in a JSP page.

It means that you've attempted to write to a file descriptor (probably
through an OutputStream or similar ), but the reader at the remote end
of the connection (pipe or socket, etc) has closed his corresponding
descriptor.

/gordon

Philipp Taprogge

Hi!

Thus spake Gordon Beaton on 05/11/2007 09:02 AM:
> It means that you've attempted to write to a file descriptor (probably
> through an OutputStream or similar ), but the reader at the remote end
> of the connection (pipe or socket, etc) has closed his corresponding
> descriptor.

In this special case, it could mean that the underlaying socket was
closed by the client prematurely. IIRC, these errors often occur,
when a servlet sends a wrong (i.e. too small) content-length header,
causing the client to stop reading after it receives the initial n
bytes of data.

Regards,

Phil