Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > looking for NIC software that can be run as a Service, and does not need adminstrative rights

looking for NIC software that can be run as a Service, and does not need adminstrative rights

Roy Avery

The machine is Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

I need a PCI wireless NIC with software that can be run as a Service. I
want the network to be connected BEFORE the user even logs in. I also need
the NIC software to be able to be used by users who are members of only the
standard Users group.

I tried a Linksys WMP54G, but the Linksys WLAN Monitor software CAN NOT be
run as a Service, and requires the user to a member of the Administrators.
The network will not go live until after the user logs in. Linksys'
software engineering team really took the easy way out (read LAZY) on that
one. Nice.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Roy

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If the network is functional before Log On then what is the point of Log On.
Windows 2000 is not as flexible as Windows XP.
You have to use the original manufacturer utility as is or write you own.
I think that Boingo has free utility that works with Win2000 too.
http://www.boingo.com/download.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Roy Avery" <roymtbkr@nospam_rocketmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The machine is Windows 2000 Pro SP4.
>
> I need a PCI wireless NIC with software that can be run as a Service. I
> want the network to be connected BEFORE the user even logs in. I also
> need
> the NIC software to be able to be used by users who are members of only
> the
> standard Users group.
>
> I tried a Linksys WMP54G, but the Linksys WLAN Monitor software CAN NOT be
> run as a Service, and requires the user to a member of the Administrators.
> The network will not go live until after the user logs in. Linksys'
> software engineering team really took the easy way out (read LAZY) on that
> one. Nice.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
>
> Roy

Roy Avery

> If the network is functional before Log On then what is the point of Log
On.
> Windows 2000 is not as flexible as Windows XP.

Jack, I'm sure you already know the answer to this, so I'm wondering why you
even asked in the first place? Logging on and a having a functional network
are not the same. Logging on authenticates the user, depending on network
design, to either the local machine or to the domain, or even to both. A
functional network just allows the machine to talk to the network. What you
do with the machine that is connected to the network is up to the "net
admin". Whether it be to push updates from a server, or to back up files
using xcopy or a fancy program, you shouldn't have to have a user logged
onto the machine in order for these procedures to take place. It would be
rather difficult to pcAnywhere to a machine connected to a network
wirelessly, if the machine did not have a user logged on at the time,
wouldn't it?

The NIC software engineers are taking the lazy way out by not building that
functionality into the software. What are we, a bunch of 80 year olds who
just bought our computer from Circuit City yesterday? That's how I felt
about the Linksys software, and I am hoping that D-Link or Netgear or even
Belkin has something that will work the way I want. Does anybody know if
they do?

Roy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...