Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Tampered with create Network - Now Wireless signal on but no Inter

Tampered with create Network - Now Wireless signal on but no Inter

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBTdW5zaGluZSBDb2FzdA==?=

I'm obviously not meant to be a computer programmer.

I have a wireless broadband router for the home for my PC.

My friend had her PC here, and I thought I'd link up our two PCs by the
"create wireless home network" function - just so I could transfer to her a
bunch of music.

After messing about for ages, I wasn't able to do it successfully (so
complicated a process just to get two Computers to network!! or at least, I
think it is, because I've never been able to do it... you might wonder, why
do I keep trying?). So I gave up after two hours!!

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: after mucking around for ages, it turns out that I
somehow managed to disable both our computers from being able to access the
internet by wireless!!

NOTE: linking by the ethernet cable straight into the router, access to the
internet is perfect (just when I take out the cable and rely on the wireless
system, it no longer works, whereas before it did work)

The Wireless Network Connection icon shows that we are still connected to
the wireless router. However, I'm guessing there is a disconnect in the PC
configuration now that links the browsers to the wireless.

I have run a Networking Diagnostic Test which shows two FAILs:

(1) Network Adapters / 00000011] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
Connection -
IPAddress = 192.168.0.102 (FAILED)
Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss) FAILED

(2)
IP Address FAILED
[00000003] Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet (FAILED)
IPAddress = 10.0.0.2 (FAILED)
Pinging 10.0.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
[00000011] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (FAILED)
IPAddress = 192.168.0.102 (FAILED)
Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I'm not sure what all this means, but they both seem to have to do with a
single setting which I don't know how to correct.

Am I on the right track?

In any case, any helpful advice that could fix this would be wildly
appreciated.

Regards
Sean

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If the wire part connect to the Internet and the Wireless Not. It means that
you do not have a real connection between the Wireless computer and the
Wireless Router. The IPs that you mentioned indicate a problem, an IP of
10.0.0.x can not work together with IP 192.168.0.x
May be this can Help.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sean from the Sunshine Coast"
<(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
> [00000011] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (FAILED)
> IPAddress = 192.168.0.102 (FAILED)
> Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
>
> I'm not sure what all this means, but they both seem to have to do with a
> single setting which I don't know how to correct.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>
> In any case, any helpful advice that could fix this would be wildly

Jim

> [...]
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
> [00000011] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (FAILED)
> IPAddress = 192.168.0.102 (FAILED)
> Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
>
> I'm not sure what all this means, but they both seem to have to do with a
> single setting which I don't know how to correct.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>
> In any case, any helpful advice that could fix this would be wildly

For starters, ip addresse in the range of 10.x.x.x are not routable. Also,
ip addresses in the range of 192.168.x.x are also not routable. Hence the
two computers cannot connect. The ping tests show that they cannot connect.

I suppose the question is: How did you enable these two addresses? They
certainly don't come out of clear blue sky.

Jim

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBTdW5zaGluZSBDb2FzdA==?=

Hi Jim,

Thank you for advising me that these two addresses are not routable and that
therefore the computers can't connect.

Now I've confessed I got lost following the Microsoft Wizards in creating
this problem.

So the question is... how do I fix it?

You are quite correct, they didn't come out of clear blue sky... I was
trying to follow the Microsoft Wizards to create a Network Connection between
two home computers and I got lost somewhere or did something that must have
established these settings.

The question is that... given I have no idea how I got there... do you or
anyone else know how can I fix it?

"Jim" wrote:

> [...]
> > Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
> > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
> >
> > I'm not sure what all this means, but they both seem to have to do with a
> > single setting which I don't know how to correct.
> >
> > Am I on the right track?
> >
> > In any case, any helpful advice that could fix this would be wildly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> > Sean
> >

> For starters, ip addresse in the range of 10.x.x.x are not routable. Also,
> ip addresses in the range of 192.168.x.x are also not routable. Hence the
> two computers cannot connect. The ping tests show that they cannot connect.
>
> I suppose the question is: How did you enable these two addresses? They
> certainly don't come out of clear blue sky.
>
> Jim

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBTdW5zaGluZSBDb2FzdA==?=

Thanks Jack,

I've tried following these links and one of the webpages illustrating an
Example of what I should see on my Network Connection Settings:

http://www.ezlan.net/example/tcp-ip.jpg
It shows that if I select Properties, another window titled "Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties should appear.

However, this does not appear on my PC. Instead when I select Properties, a
window titled "Client for Microsoft Networks Properties" appears. It contains
one single tab titled "RPC Service".
Then below a statement "The name service provider and network address can be
changed for the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.
Then below two boxes.
The first: titled "Name service provider" with a drop down option of either
Windows Locator; or
DCE Cell Directory Service

If I select "DCE Cell Directory Service" then the second box below entitled
"Network Address" previously unshaded becomes available to enter figures and
now requires a figure to be entered.

Is this an important anomaly that in solving will solve the whole problem?
What do I do next?

Cheers
Sean

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> [...]
> > Request timed out.
> > Request timed out.
> > Request timed out.
> > Request timed out.
> > Ping statistics for 10.0.0.2:
> > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
> > [00000011] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (FAILED)
> > IPAddress = 192.168.0.102 (FAILED)
> > Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:
> > Request timed out.
> > Request timed out.
> > Request timed out.
> > Request timed out.
> > Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
> > Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
> >
> > I'm not sure what all this means, but they both seem to have to do with a
> > single setting which I don't know how to correct.
> >
> > Am I on the right track?
> >
> > In any case, any helpful advice that could fix this would be wildly

Jim

"Sean from the Sunshine Coast"
<(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thank you for advising me that these two addresses are not routable and
> that
> therefore the computers can't connect.
>
> Now I've confessed I got lost following the Microsoft Wizards in creating
> this problem.
>
> So the question is... how do I fix it?
>

> You are quite correct, they didn't come out of clear blue sky... I was
> trying to follow the Microsoft Wizards to create a Network Connection
> between
> two home computers and I got lost somewhere or did something that must
> have
> established these settings.
>
> The question is that... given I have no idea how I got there... do you or
> anyone else know how can I fix it?

This depends on where each computer is getting its ip address from.
If you entered the ip address in the HOSTS file, then you can correct this
part of your problem by changing the entries.
Frankly what I would do is start all over once again.
First you execute the Network Setup Wizard on one of the computers.
This wizard sets up an ethernet network.
During the execution of the wizard, it prompts you to allow creation of a
setup disk. You do this.
After finishing with the wizard, take the disk over to the other computer,
and run the setup program.
When you have done this, the network settings will be consistent.

Now, you setup your router following the instructions in the fine manual.
Make certain that you enable DHCP on the router.
Enable the strongest wireless encryption in the router.

Now, execute the Wireless Network Setup Wizard on each computer which will
connect to the router wirelessly.
The tough part here is making certain that the wireless key on the computer
matches the one on the router. The computer
will not connect to the router if this key is wrong.

And, finally, make certain that you have only one firewall executing on each
computer and that this firewall is configured to all
printer and file sharing. In particular, the router must pass ICMP packets.
If it doesn't, you won't be able to do much. A sure
indication of this problem is not being able to ping another computer
because ping packets are a type of ICMP packets.

Jim

> [...]
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what all this means, but they both seem to have to do with
>> > single setting which I don't know how to correct.
>> >
>> > Am I on the right track?
>> >
>> > In any case, any helpful advice that could fix this would be wildly
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Sean
>> >

>> For starters, ip addresse in the range of 10.x.x.x are not routable.
>> Also,
>> ip addresses in the range of 192.168.x.x are also not routable. Hence
>> the
>> two computers cannot connect. The ping tests show that they cannot
>> connect.
>>
>> I suppose the question is: How did you enable these two addresses? They
>> certainly don't come out of clear blue sky.
>>
>> Jim

=?Utf-8?B?U2VhbiBmcm9tIHRoZSBTdW5zaGluZSBDb2FzdA==?=

Thanks very much for that Jim,
I'll give that a try as soon as I'm back home.
Cheers
Sean