Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Realtek AC97 Audio Codecs for XP x64

Realtek AC97 Audio Codecs for XP x64

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Realtek has just released v4.00 of its audio codecs for Windows XP x64.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
Realtek audio chipsets are embedded in many popular motherboards and
notebooks.
Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?RXNraW1vc291bmQ=?=

Thankyou Carlos, for some reason Windows Update cant find this driver and
installs the wrong one!

"Carlos" wrote:

> Realtek has just released v4.00 of its audio codecs for Windows XP x64.
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
> Realtek audio chipsets are embedded in many popular motherboards and
> notebooks.
> Carlos

Theo

Windows update will not present this because Microsoft has
not put it on their site as a Microsoft certified update.
You have to manually download the file and then manually
install the driver. You should check to see if there is a
recommendation to uninstall the current driver, if you have
previously installed one from Realtek, and then install the
new one.

Eskimosound wrote:
> Thankyou Carlos, for some reason Windows Update cant find this driver and
> installs the wrong one!
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> Realtek has just released v4.00 of its audio codecs for Windows XP x64.
>> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
>> Realtek audio chipsets are embedded in many popular motherboards and
>> notebooks.
>> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?RXNraW1vc291bmQ=?=

Thanks Theo, I can unistall the old one using the Unistall Programs thingy.
I have also installed the HD package is that correct?
(Still downloading the Vista Driver)

"Theo" wrote:

> Windows update will not present this because Microsoft has
> not put it on their site as a Microsoft certified update.
> You have to manually download the file and then manually
> install the driver. You should check to see if there is a
> recommendation to uninstall the current driver, if you have
> previously installed one from Realtek, and then install the
> new one.
>

> Eskimosound wrote:
> > Thankyou Carlos, for some reason Windows Update cant find this driver and
> > installs the wrong one!
> >
> > "Carlos" wrote:
> >
> >> Realtek has just released v4.00 of its audio codecs for Windows XP x64.
> >> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
> >> Realtek audio chipsets are embedded in many popular motherboards and
> >> notebooks.
> >> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?RXNraW1vc291bmQ=?=

Well I have just ried to install the driver 6231 and its not having any of
it. I already have Vista_r166 installed do you think thats it?
I kept getting asked to install the driver and warned that it was not
digitally signed (no problem there are loads of anomalies like that still for
XP) after the 4th such warning and no advance on the installation bar I
cancelled.
Could some one please confirm that the driver doesnt work or if I have to
let it install more than 4 times!

"Eskimosound" wrote:

> Thanks Theo, I can unistall the old one using the Unistall Programs thingy.
> I have also installed the HD package is that correct?
> (Still downloading the Vista Driver)
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
> > Windows update will not present this because Microsoft has
> > not put it on their site as a Microsoft certified update.
> > You have to manually download the file and then manually
> > install the driver. You should check to see if there is a
> > recommendation to uninstall the current driver, if you have
> > previously installed one from Realtek, and then install the
> > new one.
> >

> > Eskimosound wrote:
> > > Thankyou Carlos, for some reason Windows Update cant find this driver and
> > > installs the wrong one!

John Barnes

There are two separate and distinct Realtek products. AC97 is a little
older. HD is on the newest boards. You have to find out the product on
your MOBO and install the correct driver for it.

"Eskimosound" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I have just ried to install the driver 6231 and its not having any of
> it. I already have Vista_r166 installed do you think thats it?
> I kept getting asked to install the driver and warned that it was not
> digitally signed (no problem there are loads of anomalies like that still
> for
> XP) after the 4th such warning and no advance on the installation bar I
> cancelled.
> Could some one please confirm that the driver doesnt work or if I have to
> let it install more than 4 times!
>
> "Eskimosound" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Theo, I can unistall the old one using the Unistall Programs
>> thingy.
>> I have also installed the HD package is that correct?
>> (Still downloading the Vista Driver)
>>
>> "Theo" wrote:
>>
>> > Windows update will not present this because Microsoft has
>> > not put it on their site as a Microsoft certified update.
>> > You have to manually download the file and then manually
>> > install the driver. You should check to see if there is a
>> > recommendation to uninstall the current driver, if you have
>> > previously installed one from Realtek, and then install the
>> > new one.

=?Utf-8?B?RXNraW1vc291bmQ=?=

Hi John (Your not the Footballer are you!?)
I know it will be the older one. I am using an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe mobo and
I used to use nVidia audio drivers I dislike the Realtek ones enormously.
So it will be the AC97. I did install the HD one but Windows Update went off
on its own and downloaded the old Realtek driver and then told me It was the
wrong one for Vista!
But I still couldnt get the newer Realtek Vista one to install.
I will wait until Windows Update does it for me methinks.
Has anyone else had the problem?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> There are two separate and distinct Realtek products. AC97 is a little
> older. HD is on the newest boards. You have to find out the product on
> your MOBO and install the correct driver for it.
>
> "Eskimosound" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well I have just ried to install the driver 6231 and its not having any of
> > it. I already have Vista_r166 installed do you think thats it?
> > I kept getting asked to install the driver and warned that it was not
> > digitally signed (no problem there are loads of anomalies like that still
> > for
> > XP) after the 4th such warning and no advance on the installation bar I
> > cancelled.
> > Could some one please confirm that the driver doesnt work or if I have to
> > let it install more than 4 times!
> >
> > "Eskimosound" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Theo, I can unistall the old one using the Unistall Programs
> >> thingy.
> >> I have also installed the HD package is that correct?
> >> (Still downloading the Vista Driver)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Eskimosound:
My post refers to a new set of Windows XP x64 drivers.
I did not mean Vista x64.
Your motherboard uses the Realtek ALC850 (AC97) chipset for which you do not
need HD drivers.
So, the v4.00 drivers I mention are not for Vista but for all Windows except
Vista.

The 6321's that you found in that page are for Vista and they work.
Those are the ones you should install in Vista x64.
Best of luck.
Carlos

"Eskimosound" wrote:

> Hi John (Your not the Footballer are you!?)
> I know it will be the older one. I am using an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe mobo and
> I used to use nVidia audio drivers I dislike the Realtek ones enormously.
> So it will be the AC97. I did install the HD one but Windows Update went off
> on its own and downloaded the old Realtek driver and then told me It was the
> wrong one for Vista!
> But I still couldnt get the newer Realtek Vista one to install.
> I will wait until Windows Update does it for me methinks.
> Has anyone else had the problem?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
> > There are two separate and distinct Realtek products. AC97 is a little
> > older. HD is on the newest boards. You have to find out the product on
> > your MOBO and install the correct driver for it.
> >
> > "Eskimosound" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Well I have just ried to install the driver 6231 and its not having any of
> > > it. I already have Vista_r166 installed do you think thats it?
> > > I kept getting asked to install the driver and warned that it was not
> > > digitally signed (no problem there are loads of anomalies like that still
> > > for
> > > XP) after the 4th such warning and no advance on the installation bar I
> > > cancelled.
> > > Could some one please confirm that the driver doesnt work or if I have to
> > > let it install more than 4 times!

=?Utf-8?B?RXNraW1vc291bmQ=?=

Thanks Carlos, the Vista ones dont work! But dont worry the old ones do.
I will wait for Microsoft to check, approve and stick them on the Windows
Update list (If thats what hey do!)
Thanks.