Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JavaFX , what its mean ???

JavaFX , what its mean ???

Eisa Ayed

JavaFX what its really mean ?? , sun announce it at JavaOne ,

its scripting language , what Sun want to say , go out for AJAX or
replace our old Applets with fantastic Script language, or replace
Micromedia Flash ?

and how the user will replace it , if its want JVM (about 15MB) and
Flash Plugin (2MB)

, iam really confused , what Sun want from this technology ?

even if its focus in Mobile trend , its too late , also for RIA its
too late after GWT & YUI

Andrew Thompson

Eisa Ayed wrote:
>JavaFX ..

Huh?

>..what its really mean ??

I'd never heard of it till just now.
(Note also that one question mark is enough.)

>.., sun announce it at JavaOne ,

Google leads me here,..
<http://www.sun.com/software/javafx/index.jsp>
..which is not very clear to me, but suggests a
replacement for JMF - for handling audio and
video content? However that page also links to..

>its scripting language , what Sun want to say , go out for AJAX or
>replace our old Applets with fantastic Script language, or replace
>Micromedia Flash ?

..here.
<http://www.sun.com/software/javafx/script/index.jsp>

Which suggests it is a quicker way to write Swing
GUI's and doing data binding (something sorely
lacking in the J2SE).

Typical of Sun to spout such drivel on the first page I
found, that their new GUI scripting library could be
mistaken for a media presentation plug-in.

>..even if its focus in Mobile trend , ..

Rich client (Swing and similar) GUI's transportable
between phones, and other devices, up to desktop
clients.

>..its too late ,

I'd have to agree.

Given 90%+ of Java development is server side, with
either thin client (Servlet/JSP/HTML) GUI's or the same,
jazzed up with the RIA mentioned below - AJAX and such,
I would say that *nothing* Sun does in rich client API's will
raise a lot of interest in the developer community - even if
it gives all it promises (and I am still not sure what that is -
the proof would be in the use).

>..also for RIA ...

Huhh? Oh..
"Rich Internet applications (RIA) are Web applications
that have the features and functionality of traditional
desktop applications. RIAs .." (Wikipedia)

No, I dont think it is aimed at the HTML bound
interface, even those improved with AJAX, but
could be used in an applet (with rich client -
Swing GUI).

>...its too late after GWT & YUI ..

Same there - both JS/HTML based (& the second
of which I had to look up as 'Yahoo! UI Library (YUI)').

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Eisa Ayed

Thanks thompson for your opinion ,

tahir akhtar

On May 10, 11:44 pm, Eisa Ayed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks thompson for your opinion ,

I think the hype surround the JavaFX is misdirected. It is indeed a
promising technology but not the way some people think. One thing is
for sure that it is not going to be a wholesale replacement of AJAX.

I have written a blog entry in reply to the suggestion that JavaFX
means AJAX is dead

http://tahirakhtar.name/index.php/20...avafx-vs-ajax/