Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to change Background Color (for printing)

how to change Background Color (for printing)

temujin

Dear Group,

When I change the background colour in a table like this:

<TR> <TH COLSPAN=6 BGCOLOR="#99CCFF"><H4>Motherboard</H4></TH> </TR>

the colour is only visible on the html page. When I print it out (or
print it to pdf) itīs still in Black&White.

Can anyone tell me how to change this?

best regards
temu

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed temujin <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Dear Group,
>
> When I change the background colour in a table like this:
>
><TR> <TH COLSPAN=6 BGCOLOR="#99CCFF"><H4>Motherboard</H4></TH> </TR>
>
> the colour is only visible on the html page. When I print it out (or
> print it to pdf) itīs still in Black&White.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to change this?
>
> best regards
> temu

You should be able to tell the browser at print time that you want to
print background colors.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Bergamot

temujin wrote:

> When I change the background colour in a table
> the colour is only visible on the html page. When I print it out (or
> print it to pdf) itīs still in Black&White.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to change this?

You can only change it for yourself, through your browser settings. You
cannot "force" other people to print your background colors or graphics.

--
Berg

Travis Newbury

On May 10, 9:32 am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You can only change it for yourself, through your browser settings. You
> cannot "force" other people to print your background colors or graphics.

Sure you can. I can force anyone to do anything I want. If I came to
your house and held your family/dog/lover/etc hostage and in the
ransom note I told you I wanted you to print a web page and you had
better print the background color or image or I would cut off your
wife's/dog's/kid's/mom's/etc's genitals. I am thinking you would do
exactly what I told you to do.

Ok, this is probably not practical, but it would work on any website,
so, in the pure sense, I CAN force you to do anything I want you to
do.

Bergamot

Travis Newbury wrote:

> I can force anyone to do anything I want. If I came to
> your house and held your family/dog/lover/etc hostage
>
> Ok, this is probably not practical

Probably not.

--
Berg

Jonathan N. Little

Travis Newbury wrote:
> On May 10, 9:32 am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You can only change it for yourself, through your browser settings. You
>> cannot "force" other people to print your background colors or graphics.

> Sure you can. I can force anyone to do anything I want. If I came to
> your house and held your family/dog/lover/etc hostage and in the
> ransom note I told you I wanted you to print a web page and you had
> better print the background color or image or I would cut off your
> wife's/dog's/kid's/mom's/etc's genitals.

Wow, must be some *JScript* script required to do that!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:00:15 GMT Travis Newbury scribed:

> On May 10, 9:32 am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You can only change it for yourself, through your browser settings. You
>> cannot "force" other people to print your background colors or graphics.

> Sure you can. I can force anyone to do anything I want. If I came to
> your house and held your family/dog/lover/etc hostage and in the
> ransom note I told you I wanted you to print a web page and you had
> better print the background color or image or I would cut off your
> wife's/dog's/kid's/mom's/etc's genitals. I am thinking you would do
> exactly what I told you to do.
>
> Ok, this is probably not practical, but it would work on any website,
> so, in the pure sense, I CAN force you to do anything I want you to
> do.

Bah. You underestimate the nature of the human spirit. Besides, what if
the guy doesn't like his wife and kids?

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

In article <e81d3$46433d4c$40cba7b2$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Travis Newbury wrote:
> > On May 10, 9:32 am, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> You can only change it for yourself, through your browser settings. You
> >> cannot "force" other people to print your background colors or graphics.

> > Sure you can. I can force anyone to do anything I want. If I came to
> > your house and held your family/dog/lover/etc hostage and in the
> > ransom note I told you I wanted you to print a web page and you had
> > better print the background color or image or I would cut off your
> > wife's/dog's/kid's/mom's/etc's genitals.

> Wow, must be some *JScript* script required to do that!

nah... Travis would send a very graphic flash movie of what would
happen to his victim's family and believe me, he would get the
victim to print any background stipulated.

--
dorayme

planb@newsreaders.com

On May 10, 12:10 am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> temujin <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
>
> > Dear Group,

> > When I change thebackgroundcolour in a table like this:
> >
> ><TR> <TH COLSPAN=6 BGCOLOR="#99CCFF"><H4>
> >Motherboard</H4></TH> </TR>
> >
> > the colour is only visible on the html page. When I print it out (or
> > print it to pdf) itīs still in Black&White.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to change this?

-snip-
> You should be able to tell the browser at print time that you want to
> print background colors.

You can do it without turning on the option to print background colors
using CSS. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way of doing
exactly that....

Here's a sample that works, doesn't require any images and is only
slightly ugly....

margin:10px;float:left;border-width:50px;
border-style:solid;width:0px;height:0px;
line-height:0px;">
left: .9em;">
This will have a colored <br />
background when printing

No colored background when printing...

--
JBM

Jonathan N. Little

> On May 10, 12:10 am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> temujin <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
>>
>>> Dear Group,
>>> When I change thebackgroundcolour in a table like this:
>>>
>>> <TR> <TH COLSPAN=6 BGCOLOR="#99CCFF"><H4>
>>> Motherboard</H4></TH> </TR>
>>>
>>> the colour is only visible on the html page. When I print it out (or
>>> print it to pdf) itīs still in Black&White.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to change this?

> -snip-
>> You should be able to tell the browser at print time that you want to
>> print background colors.

> You can do it without turning on the option to print background colors
> using CSS. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way of doing
> exactly that....
>
> Here's a sample that works, doesn't require any images and is only
> slightly ugly....

> margin:10px;float:left;border-width:50px;
> border-style:solid;width:0px;height:0px;
> line-height:0px;">
> left: .9em;">
> This will have a colored <br />
> background when printing

> No colored background when printing...

Note sure what that will accomplish, but one thing I am sure of it is
not valid CSS.

HINT borders are added *outside* of a block, what you have here would be
a 100px square block with a 50px wide border! Also color values in hex
must be designated with a '#"

--
Take care,

Jonathan