Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reboot while copying large files between hard drives

Reboot while copying large files between hard drives

pegasus1919

My system:

Power supply: 300w MaxPower
Motherboard: P5L-MX (BIOS 0601 - most upto date)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (Tested with CPU Stability test 6.0 for 12
hours no restarts)
RAM: 1GB (Tested with Memtest86 for about 6 hours - no problems)
HDD: 2 x 250GB Maxtor STM3250820AS SATAII @ 3.0GB/s
1 x 80GB Maxtor 6L080L0 IDE
All hard drives previously in another machine until recently
with no problems.
Windows XP installed on one of the Maxtor STM3250820AS partitioned as
60GB C drive, 180GB NTFS partition for file storage.
Other drives are purely file storage for music and recorded TV from my
two Hauppauge TV cards.

Drivers and windows XP update to most recent versions and patches.

Using on board graphics, sound, and LAN.

My Problem:

Running windows tasks such as surfing the net and office type tasks
etc - fine, maybe the occasional reboot.

Try copying large files between two of the drives, causes consistent
reboots after only a couple of minutes copying.

The only thing i can find to cause this problem is ASUS PC Probe which
states the motherboard temperature is reaching 45+ degrees celsius. I
have seen forums with people reporting temps much higher than this
with no stability problems.

Has any one seen this problem before and found the answer?

Any opinions or advice would be appreciatedas i've tested everything i
can think of - probably going to send it back to the supplier for
testing.

D.Duck

"pegasus1919" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My system:
>
> Power supply: 300w MaxPower
> Motherboard: P5L-MX (BIOS 0601 - most upto date)
> CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (Tested with CPU Stability test 6.0 for 12
> hours no restarts)
> RAM: 1GB (Tested with Memtest86 for about 6 hours - no problems)
> HDD: 2 x 250GB Maxtor STM3250820AS SATAII @ 3.0GB/s
> 1 x 80GB Maxtor 6L080L0 IDE
> All hard drives previously in another machine until recently
> with no problems.
> Windows XP installed on one of the Maxtor STM3250820AS partitioned as
> 60GB C drive, 180GB NTFS partition for file storage.
> Other drives are purely file storage for music and recorded TV from my
> two Hauppauge TV cards.
>
> Drivers and windows XP update to most recent versions and patches.
>
> Using on board graphics, sound, and LAN.
>
> My Problem:
>
> Running windows tasks such as surfing the net and office type tasks
> etc - fine, maybe the occasional reboot.
>
> Try copying large files between two of the drives, causes consistent
> reboots after only a couple of minutes copying.
>
> The only thing i can find to cause this problem is ASUS PC Probe which
> states the motherboard temperature is reaching 45+ degrees celsius. I
> have seen forums with people reporting temps much higher than this
> with no stability problems.
>
> Has any one seen this problem before and found the answer?
>
> Any opinions or advice would be appreciatedas i've tested everything i
> can think of - probably going to send it back to the supplier for
> testing.

300 watt power supply is a good candidate for upgrading.

PeeCee

"pegasus1919" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My system:
>
> Power supply: 300w MaxPower
> Motherboard: P5L-MX (BIOS 0601 - most upto date)
> CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (Tested with CPU Stability test 6.0 for 12
> hours no restarts)
> RAM: 1GB (Tested with Memtest86 for about 6 hours - no problems)
> HDD: 2 x 250GB Maxtor STM3250820AS SATAII @ 3.0GB/s
> 1 x 80GB Maxtor 6L080L0 IDE
> All hard drives previously in another machine until recently
> with no problems.
> Windows XP installed on one of the Maxtor STM3250820AS partitioned as
> 60GB C drive, 180GB NTFS partition for file storage.
> Other drives are purely file storage for music and recorded TV from my
> two Hauppauge TV cards.
>
> Drivers and windows XP update to most recent versions and patches.
>
> Using on board graphics, sound, and LAN.
>
> My Problem:
>
> Running windows tasks such as surfing the net and office type tasks
> etc - fine, maybe the occasional reboot.
>
> Try copying large files between two of the drives, causes consistent
> reboots after only a couple of minutes copying.
>
> The only thing i can find to cause this problem is ASUS PC Probe which
> states the motherboard temperature is reaching 45+ degrees celsius. I
> have seen forums with people reporting temps much higher than this
> with no stability problems.
>
> Has any one seen this problem before and found the answer?
>
> Any opinions or advice would be appreciatedas i've tested everything i
> can think of - probably going to send it back to the supplier for
> testing.

A quick calculation at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine shows
your hardware using 273 Watts at 85% CPU loading. (you didn't mention but I
'guessed' an ATI 9600 video card)

At that sort of loading the prime suspect is the power supply simply not
being up to the job.
A more usual supply would have a rating of 400-450 Watts for a machine of
that type.

The motherboard temperature may be a symptom rather than a cause, though
adding an internal fan to cool the chipset down may improve things.

I have had a machine with similar symptoms that did work better with
additional fan cooling, but at the end of the day the 'cause' was a dodgy
power supply. (Chinese capacitor disease)

Your best course of action is to work out a routine that demonstrates the
fault consistently along with a log of when the machine reboots
spontaneously and what you were doing at the time and present this to the
retailer when you take it back.

Best
Paul.

thanatoid

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:f1tjum$vem$(E-Mail Removed):

> "pegasus1919" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com..
> .
>> My system:
>>
>> Power supply: 300w MaxPower
>> Motherboard: P5L-MX (BIOS 0601 - most upto date)
>> CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (Tested with CPU Stability test
>> 6.0 for 12 hours no restarts)
>> RAM: 1GB (Tested with Memtest86 for about 6 hours - no
>> problems) HDD: 2 x 250GB Maxtor STM3250820AS SATAII @
>> 3.0GB/s
>> 1 x 80GB Maxtor 6L080L0 IDE
>> All hard drives previously in another machine
>> until recently
>> with no problems.
>> Windows XP installed on one of the Maxtor STM3250820AS
>> partitioned as 60GB C drive, 180GB NTFS partition for file
>> storage. Other drives are purely file storage for music
>> and recorded TV from my two Hauppauge TV cards.
>>
>> Drivers and windows XP update to most recent versions and
>> patches.
>>
>> Using on board graphics, sound, and LAN.
>>
>> My Problem:
>>
>> Running windows tasks such as surfing the net and office
>> type tasks etc - fine, maybe the occasional reboot.
>>
>> Try copying large files between two of the drives, causes
>> consistent reboots after only a couple of minutes copying.
>>
>> The only thing i can find to cause this problem is ASUS PC
>> Probe which states the motherboard temperature is reaching
>> 45+ degrees celsius. I have seen forums with people
>> reporting temps much higher than this with no stability
>> problems.
>>
>> Has any one seen this problem before and found the answer?
>>
>> Any opinions or advice would be appreciatedas i've tested
>> everything i can think of - probably going to send it back
>> to the supplier for testing.
>>

> A quick calculation at
> http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine shows your
> hardware using 273 Watts at 85% CPU loading. (you didn't
> mention but I 'guessed' an ATI 9600 video card)
>
> At that sort of loading the prime suspect is the power
> supply simply not being up to the job.
> A more usual supply would have a rating of 400-450 Watts
> for a machine of that type.
>
> The motherboard temperature may be a symptom rather than a
> cause, though adding an internal fan to cool the chipset
> down may improve things.
>
> I have had a machine with similar symptoms that did work
> better with additional fan cooling, but at the end of the
> day the 'cause' was a dodgy power supply. (Chinese
> capacitor disease)
>
> Your best course of action is to work out a routine that
> demonstrates the fault consistently along with a log of
> when the machine reboots spontaneously and what you were
> doing at the time and present this to the retailer when you
> take it back.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Although getting a fancy "cool" (ie quiet) and swanky power
supply might be the best thing to do first. Your power supply is
underpowered no matter what the rest of the system may or may
not have wrong with it. And it doesn't really sound like there's
anything wrong with it.

Google for "computer power supply" and see what nice quiet
supplies are out there. Needless to say, you won't find them in
98% of store bought brand name machines.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Run HDD Health on the dirves http://www.panterasoft.com/ it's free.

--
WOW is a feeling