Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > WebServices and .NET

WebServices and .NET

Lord0

Hi there,

Im currently exposing functionality of an existing application as a
Web Service - Im using Axis 1.x for this. I have read that the only
style of Web Service supported by .NET is "wrapped" as opposed to,
say, "document".

Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

Cheers

Lord0

Lew

Lord0 wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Im currently exposing functionality of an existing application as a
> Web Service - Im using Axis 1.x for this. I have read that the only
> style of Web Service supported by .NET is "wrapped" as opposed to,
> say, "document".
>
> Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

It's the other way around. .Net prefers "document literal" and has specific
conventions on how you name the WSDL elements.

--
Lew

Lord0

> It's the other way around. .Net prefers "document literal" and has specific
> conventions on how you name the WSDL elements.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any links/docs with more info on
this?

Cheers

Lord0

Mike Schilling

"Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lord0 wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Im currently exposing functionality of an existing application as a
>> Web Service - Im using Axis 1.x for this. I have read that the only
>> style of Web Service supported by .NET is "wrapped" as opposed to,
>> say, "document".
>>
>> Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

> It's the other way around. .Net prefers "document literal" and has
> specific conventions on how you name the WSDL elements.

This is all good stuff to know, but not terribly important. The WSDL
produced by a .NET service is standard, and any web service toolkit
(including Axis) should be able to build a client for it. Conversely, the
..NET tool that builds clients should be able to use Axis-produced WSD,
whether the Axis service follows .NET conventions or not..

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Lord0 wrote:
> Im currently exposing functionality of an existing application as a
> Web Service - Im using Axis 1.x for this. I have read that the only
> style of Web Service supported by .NET is "wrapped" as opposed to,
> say, "document".
>
> Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

Create your web services with Axis.

Let the .NET coders generate stub code based on the URL of
the WSDL.

Then everything will work fine.

No problems.

Maybe one problem.

For some servlet containers you will need to tell the .NET
developers to put:

ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = false;

in their program to avoid confusing the servlet container.

Arne

Mike Schilling

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4643ce38$0$90267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lord0 wrote:
>> Im currently exposing functionality of an existing application as a
>> Web Service - Im using Axis 1.x for this. I have read that the only
>> style of Web Service supported by .NET is "wrapped" as opposed to,
>> say, "document".
>>
>> Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

> Create your web services with Axis.
>
> Let the .NET coders generate stub code based on the URL of
> the WSDL.
>
> Then everything will work fine.
>
> No problems.
>
> Maybe one problem.
>
> For some servlet containers you will need to tell the .NET
> developers to put:
>
> ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = false;
>
> in their program to avoid confusing the servlet container.

Which containers have you found this to be necessary for?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mike Schilling wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4643ce38$0$90267$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lord0 wrote:
>>> Im currently exposing functionality of an existing application as a
>>> Web Service - Im using Axis 1.x for this. I have read that the only
>>> style of Web Service supported by .NET is "wrapped" as opposed to,
>>> say, "document".
>>>
>>> Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

>> Create your web services with Axis.
>>
>> Let the .NET coders generate stub code based on the URL of
>> the WSDL.
>>
>> Then everything will work fine.
>>
>> No problems.
>>
>> Maybe one problem.
>>
>> For some servlet containers you will need to tell the .NET
>> developers to put:
>>
>> ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = false;
>>
>> in their program to avoid confusing the servlet container.

> Which containers have you found this to be necessary for?

Tomcat.

Arne

Mike Schilling

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:464515d0$0$90265$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Schilling wrote:
>> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4643ce38$0$90267$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Create your web services with Axis.
>>>
>>> Let the .NET coders generate stub code based on the URL of
>>> the WSDL.
>>>
>>> Then everything will work fine.
>>>
>>> No problems.
>>>
>>> Maybe one problem.
>>>
>>> For some servlet containers you will need to tell the .NET
>>> developers to put:
>>>
>>> ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = false;
>>>
>>> in their program to avoid confusing the servlet container.

>> Which containers have you found this to be necessary for?

> Tomcat.

Odd. At my workplace, we combine .NET clients and services deployed in
Tomcat (4.0 and 5.5) with some frequency (e.g. in the nightly unit tests),
don't set that flag, and haven't seen any problems.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mike Schilling wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:464515d0$0$90265$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mike Schilling wrote:

>>> Which containers have you found this to be necessary for?

>> Tomcat.

> Odd. At my workplace, we combine .NET clients and services deployed in
> Tomcat (4.0 and 5.5) with some frequency (e.g. in the nightly unit tests),
> don't set that flag, and haven't seen any problems.

It may very likely only be certain combinations of versions.

If you google for it, then you find several stories where it
was necessary to make it work.

Obviously those without the problem never posted so.

Arne

DTLLLUmpireSchedules@gmail.com

On May 12, 3:56 pm, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> MikeSchillingwrote:
> > "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:464515d0$0$90265$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >>Tomcat.

> > Odd. At my workplace, we combine .NET clients and services deployed in
> >Tomcat(4.0 and 5.5) with some frequency (e.g. in the nightly unit tests),
> > don't set that flag, and haven't seen any problems.

> It may very likely only be certain combinations of versions.
>
> If you google for it, then you find several stories where it
> was necessary to make it work.
>
> Obviously those without the problem never posted so.

And now we've run into it, and this information is invaluable. score
one for Usenet, and thanks, Arne.