Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG vs. Avast

AVG vs. Avast

Muse Groops

I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).

Thanks

Mike Easter

Muse Groops wrote:
> I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
> both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
> days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
> the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).

Here's a website which does a lot of comparison. AVG and Avast were
both/each judged in the 2nd of 4 different classes. The site did an
'On-demand comparative' 2007 Feb and its results are here
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2007_02.php

The front door is here, so it is good to read about what they do and how
they do it http://www.av-comparatives.org/

The comparisons involved

Avast! Professional Edition 4.7
AVG Anti-Malware 7.5
AVIRA AntiVir Pers Ed Prem 7.03
BitDefender Professional Plus 10
Dr.Web for Windows 95-XP 4.33.2
eScan Anti-Virus 8.0
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 2.70.23
Fortinet FortiClient 3.0
F-Prot for Windows 6.0.5.1
F-Secure Anti-Virus 7.01
G DATA AntiVirusKit (AVK) 17.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2
McAfee VirusScan 11.1
Microsoft OneCare 1.5
Norman Virus Control 5.82
Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 14.0
TrustPort Antivirus Workstation 2.5

and in 2007 Feb there were 6 agents in the top group, 8 in the 2nd group
including Avast & AVG, 2 in the 3rd group and 1 at the bottom.

In 2006 Nov, they did a 'Retrospective/ProActive Test' in which AVG pro
was the only one at the bottom and Avast was one of 8 in the 3rd group.
On that test there were 5 in the top group and one in the second.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...se_2006_11.php

--
Mike Easter

Old Gringo

On Or About Wed, 09 May 2007 07:28:06 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, Muse Groops Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And
wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

> I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
> both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
> days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
> the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).
>
> Thanks

I believe it will be a personal preference. I ran each one of them
for about 6 mo. each and settled for Avast. Have had no problems for
over 2 1/2 years now. Happy camper with Avast Home addition.
Good Luck.
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Greg

Neither. Get Nod32.

"Muse Groops" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4641b046$0$15125$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast both
>have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these days, but
>anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between the two and
>why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).
>
> Thanks

Plato

Muse Groops wrote:

> I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast
> both have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these
> days, but anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between
> the two and why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).

Kaspersky seems pretty light on resources:
http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/004.htm#1

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Muse Groops

Greg wrote:
> Neither. Get Nod32.

Why?

> "Muse Groops" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4641b046$0$15125$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I was meandering on cnet/download.com and I noticed that AVG and Avast both
>> have a 5 star rating (like that necessarily means anything these days, but
>> anyway...) So I was wondering which you would choose between the two and
>> why (for instance, which is lighter on resources).
>>
>> Thanks

chuckieŽ

My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
vigilant...just my two cents...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Muse Groops <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Neither. Get Nod32.

>Why?

IMON, download something from this site (under collection)
http://vx.netlux.org/ NOD32 will stop the download.

Your AV will download it, and you have to scan the file or run it to
be warned.
--
WOW is a feeling
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MlrvqF8rWM

williammaw@aol.com

On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
> with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
> with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
> automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
> vigilant...just my two cents...

I use Avast and all of that seems to be true, although I wonder if the
security updates from Microsoft alone gives adequate protection.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>On May 9, 7:49 pm, "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My preference is for Avast. I have tried Norton (forgive me, but it came
>> with a Gateway), McAfee (forgive me, it came with an HP), EZTrust AV (free
>> with my ISP) and now Avast. Very easy to set up, gets 'upgrades'
>> automatically, but tells me when it does so, and seems to be very
>> vigilant...just my two cents...

>I use Avast and all of that seems to be true, although I wonder if the
>security updates from Microsoft alone gives adequate protection.

I really haven't downloaded any updates, I have it turned off in fact.
The only one I remember was for the WFM exploit; Oh ya and the one to
fix DST (notice a lot of posters time is off in this group)

Right or wrong, it's how I manage my machine, if it's not broke don't
let MS screw with it - I don't have WGA installed

I of course have SP2 installed, and will pry install SP3 when it comes
along.

--
WOW is a feeling
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MlrvqF8rWM

Dumping Avast and Installing AVG Solved Clock Losing Time Gregg Computer Support 0 07-02-2005 06:14 PM
Avast free or AVG free! Nowhere Computer Support 17 04-10-2005 02:32 AM
Clamwin V AVG/Avast/AntiVir etc Sue Doo Nym Computer Security 8 01-17-2005 06:54 PM
avast or avg Bigfred Computer Support 6 07-10-2004 11:06 PM
Avast AV vs AVG (Free Editions) NoneOfBusiness Computer Security 8 01-25-2004 01:31 AM

Advertisments