Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Maximum JVM heap size greater than 1.8GB will prevent ColdFusion M

Maximum JVM heap size greater than 1.8GB will prevent ColdFusion M

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQgQ3VtbWlucw==?=

Good day Gentlemen (and ladies)

I havs some developers here who are working on a new product and they have
run into a road block, I have posted the error and the JAVA fix below

Issue
If a maximum heap size of 1.8GB or greater is entered in the Macromedia
ColdFusion MX Administrator's Java/JVM Settings page and the change is
submitted, you will receive a message stating the server must be restarted in
order for the change to take effect. The attempt to restart the server will
fail and the following message will be displayed:

Windows:
Windows could not start the ColdFusion MX Application Server on Local
Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this
is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
service-specific error code 2.

On 32-bit processor machines, the largest contiguous memory address space
the operating system can allocate to a process is 1.8GB. Because of this, the
maximum heap size can only be set up to 1.8GB. On 64-bit processor machines,
the 1.8 GB limit does not apply, as 64-bit processor machines have a larger
memory address space.

Solution
To correct this issue, the jvm.config file must be modified:

Open the cf_root/runtime/bin/jvm.config file in a text editor.
Locate the section labeled "# Arguments to VM".
Modify the -Xmx variable to set a maximum heap size less than 1.8GB.

For example: -Xmx1024m
Save the file.
Restart ColdFusion.

Now, My Question is : Can I load a 32 bit machine with the 64 bit O/S and
remedy this situation or is this possible the fact that it is using 64 bit
word or will the O/S allow the Maximum heap size to be larger despite the
fact that it is a 32 bit processor

--
Scott A Cummins
Sr. Systems Engineer

Jane C

See inline:

"Scott Cummins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On 32-bit processor machines, the largest contiguous memory address space
> the operating system can allocate to a process is 1.8GB. Because of this,
> the
> maximum heap size can only be set up to 1.8GB. On 64-bit processor
> machines,
> the 1.8 GB limit does not apply, as 64-bit processor machines have a
> larger
> memory address space.

> Now, My Question is : Can I load a 32 bit machine with the 64 bit O/S and
> remedy this situation or is this possible the fact that it is using 64 bit
> word or will the O/S allow the Maximum heap size to be larger despite the
> fact that it is a 32 bit processor

If you have a 32 bit processor running a 32 bit operating system, then you
are stuck with that 1.8GB limit. If you have a 64 bit processor running a
64 bit operating system, then the 1.8GB limit does not apply.

You cannot install a 64 bit operating system on a 32 bit processor.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Shell/User