Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > W3c styles

W3c styles

Desmond

Can anyone help on this last remaining problem? I have tried to make
my site w3c compliant. And it works and has passed the tests. However
it just doesn't look right in Firefox 1.5.0.11. But is ok in IE7.
since moving everything into <div>s the image border around the menu
has a border. Has to be something simple. Any quick solution to this
please. Everything else about the site is OK.

http://www.des-otoole.co.uk/

Desmond.

Jonathan N. Little

Desmond wrote:
> Can anyone help on this last remaining problem? I have tried to make
> my site w3c compliant. And it works and has passed the tests. However
> it just doesn't look right in Firefox 1.5.0.11. But is ok in IE7.
> since moving everything into <div>s the image border around the menu
> has a border. Has to be something simple. Any quick solution to this
> please. Everything else about the site is OK.

#side-menu a img

{

// border: 0;

}

Remove the // in stylesheet and BTW // is not valid way of commenting in
CSS, /* ... */ the old C style comment is used in CSS

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#comments

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Ben C

On 2007-05-08, Desmond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone help on this last remaining problem? I have tried to make
> my site w3c compliant. And it works and has passed the tests. However
> it just doesn't look right in Firefox 1.5.0.11. But is ok in IE7.
> since moving everything into <div>s the image border around the menu
> has a border. Has to be something simple. Any quick solution to this
> please. Everything else about the site is OK.
>
> http://www.des-otoole.co.uk/

You're almost there.

You have a selector

#side-menu a img
{
// border: 0;
}

That C++ style comment is a syntax error, so the whole selector gets
ignored. But Firefox wants to put a blue border around an img in an a
(presumably that's in its default stylesheet), so change it to

#side-menu a img
{
border: 0;
}

Desmond

On 8 May, 21:29, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2007-05-08, Desmond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help on this last remaining problem? I have tried to make
> > my site w3c compliant. And it works and has passed the tests. However
> > it just doesn't look right in Firefox 1.5.0.11. But is ok in IE7.
> > since moving everything into <div>s the image border around the menu
> > has a border. Has to be something simple. Any quick solution to this
> > please. Everything else about the site is OK.

> >http://www.des-otoole.co.uk/

> You're almost there.
>
> You have a selector
>
> #side-menu a img
> {
> // border: 0;
>
> }
>
> That C++ style comment is a syntax error, so the whole selector gets
> ignored. But Firefox wants to put a blue border around an img in an a
> (presumably that's in its default stylesheet), so change it to
>
> #side-menu a img
> {
> border: 0;

Thanks for that. Still trying to get to grips with <divs> and CSS. any
good book. I mean a technical reff style
please.

Desmond.

Ben C

On 2007-05-08, Desmond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8 May, 21:29, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
> Thanks for that. Still trying to get to grips with <divs> and CSS. any
> good book. I mean a technical reff style
> please.

This is the one:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/

Supported quite well by Firefox, Konqueror (Safari), and Opera. IE7
better than IE6.