Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > vista

vista

Capt T

i have a pent 2 with win 98 which i use excel for a/cs etc , Nero for cd
writing, Camedia for photos etc and office 2000.

I am about to order a dell package which comes with vista with no option for
xp.

I am told that Vista is not user friendly, not easy to use and that many win
98 software wont work and that I would be better off with XP.

Should i go for another manufacturer that still does XP..should I be
concerned?

Thanks for any opinions.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 8 May 2007 20:38:20 +0100, "Capt T" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>i have a pent 2 with win 98 which i use excel for a/cs etc , Nero for cd
>writing, Camedia for photos etc and office 2000.
>
>I am about to order a dell package which comes with vista with no option for
>xp.
>
>I am told that Vista is not user friendly, not easy to use and that many win
>98 software wont work and that I would be better off with XP.
>
>Should i go for another manufacturer that still does XP..should I be
>concerned?
>
>Thanks for any opinions.

There's a lot of 98 software that won't work with XP either. Get with
the 21st century.

Go with the computer you like. You can always buy XP and install it
yourself.

Gordon

"Capt T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4640d317$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have a pent 2 with win 98 which i use excel for a/cs etc , Nero for cd
> writing, Camedia for photos etc and office 2000.
>
> I am about to order a dell package which comes with vista with no option
> for
> xp.
>
> I am told that Vista is not user friendly, not easy to use and that many
> win
> 98 software wont work and that I would be better off with XP.
>
> Should i go for another manufacturer that still does XP..should I be
> concerned?
>
> Thanks for any opinions.

My wife and I bought a Dell laptop with Vista and to be honest we heard all
the same rubbish as you did, we were over the moon to find that Vista works
fine, its easy to use, its not slow at all, its friendly too, I find it very
easy to use, ok a few different things in the menus but nothing you couldn't
get used to after a mess around clicking on icons etc., just like we all did
with XP (its almost the same as XP just more grand.)....
I used to hear the same stuff when people moved from 98 to XP, infact from
windows 3.1 to windows 95 was a big to do about nothing.

Go for it and find out for yourself, it works great, if you do have old
programs that won't install just right click on the install icon and tell it
to run as XP mode and it will load up fine, well all of mine did.

you will find others disagree with me, but its your choice.... Or!! you
could buy a laptop and stick Linux on it which is stable, nice to look at
and lots of add-on stuff, but then that's all you can do, nothing else worth
a light can load on to it

that's my advice and I am more than sure I am going to get lots of Microsoft
haters telling you different.

take care, good luck

Gordon

Another

> My wife and I bought a Dell laptop with Vista and to be honest we heard all
> the same rubbish as you did, we were over the moon to find that Vista works
> fine, its easy to use, its not slow at all, its friendly too, I find it very
> easy to use, ok a few different things in the menus but nothing you couldn't

Here is the real problem with Vista.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Gordon

"Another" <.> wrote in message
news:77746$4640d7ea$1860e511$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> My wife and I bought a Dell laptop with Vista and to be honest we heard
>> all the same rubbish as you did, we were over the moon to find that Vista
>> works fine, its easy to use, its not slow at all, its friendly too, I
>> find it very easy to use, ok a few different things in the menus but
>> nothing you couldn't

> Here is the real problem with Vista.
>
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

when I started writing this review almost two months ago, I plotted out the
how the review would be structured, in eight parts, and then immediately set
out to write this final part first. I often write lengthy reviews out of
order, which can get me in trouble if I get bogged down in the middle
sections, but I knew I'd eventually finish this one up. After all, I didn't
just spend the past five years of my life covering WindowsVista only to give
up on the final review.

Anyway, the point behind writing the conclusion first was that Microsoft
had, at the time, just completed development of Windows Vista, and I had a
bunch of thoughts about this product I wanted to unload. But you won't find
the words I wrote in that original conclusion here. The reason? At the time,
I was too focused on the negative aspects of the product's numerous delays,
what I took to be Microsoft's inept handling of the development of Vista,
and features the company had promised that weren't in the final version.

Here's the thing. Over the course of actually reviewing Windows Vista, I've
had to come face-to-face with features I'm quite familiar with, thanks to
years of testing. But I wanted to approach this from a fresh perspective,
and as I categorically moved through each of the numerous features in Vista,
something occurred to me: None of my original complaints matter. Within
several months, hundreds of millions of people around the globe will be
using this operating system, and none of them--literally none--will care
that it was delayed a few months at one time. They won't care that the
original Sidebar and WinFS were stripped from the product in order to
prevent further delays. And they certainly won't care that Microsoft
reorganized its Windows division around a new team that will guide future
product versions.

No, what these people will care about is how this new Windows versions works
compared to its predecessors. And it's funny, as I worked my way slowly
through the enormous number of features in Windows Vista, I could see with
new eyes that there's a lot there. No, there's no one major new
gotta-have-it feature, though Vista's pervasive and amazing new security
features come close. Vista is hard, maybe impossible to summarize on a
three-bullet-point PowerPoint slide. There's just so much there.

To arrive at a final score for Windows Vista, I thought about grading each
and every feature and then averaging the total. I thought about developing a
system that measured the worth of features to different customer groups and
supplying different grades for different types of users. Heck, I had all
kinds of ideas. But in the end, that's all pretty pointless. You're going to
be using Windows Vista. It's just a question of time. And what I can tell
you now, as 2006 dwindles away and the first year of Vista's wide scale
availability begins, is that you're going to like Windows Vista. You're
going to like it a lot.

Vista is both broad and deep, with major new features and functionality.
Architecturally, it's based on the NT platform that has provided the
underpinnings of all mainstream Windows versions for more than a half
decade. That suggests that Windows Vista is only an evolutionary upgrade
over Windows XP. But don't be deceived: In Vista, Windows has been
completely deconstructed and rebuilt as a more elegant componentized system
that can be secured and deployed far more easily. The ramifications of this
work will reach far into the future, but what all this means to me is that
Windows Vista is a major Windows update that deserves your attention. It is,
at turns, both revolutionary and evolutionary.

Windows Vista: The good and bad
Bad: Windows Vista ships in far too many product editions, requiring users
to make hard decisions about which to get and, ultimately (pardon the pun)
spend too much money to get all the features they want. For consumers, there
are really only two choices: Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. Both are
expensive, but both are also feature-rich. To choose, simply look at the
Ultimate features that aren't available in Home Premium and decide whether
you can live without them.

Good: On the other hand, Microsoft is now making previously niche features
like Tablet PC support and Media Center available to a much bigger audience
than ever before. More to the point, these features are now available in
retail versions of Windows for the first time. I cannot imagine why they
waited this long.

Good: Windows Vista is easier and faster to install than ever before, and
that's true if you're an individual user or a corporate admin seeking to
deploy the system automatically across numerous desktops. Vista's
componentized design makes this possible.

Good: Vista is beautiful, and all that FUD you read about needing new
hardware to run the Aero user interface is false. If you have a reasonably
new PC (i.e. one that is less than two years old), Vista should run just
fine, and it will look wonderful doing so.

Bad: Like all Windows versions, Windows Vista is a memory hog, and you
should take Microsoft's minimum RAM recommendations as the comedy they are.
You will want at least 1 GB of RAM to run Windows Vista, and 2 GB is the
sweet spot if you're a heavy multitasker like me, a gamer, or a frequent
user of creativity applications. That said, RAM is cheap, so this isn't the
huge problem some will make it out to be. But it is an inconvenience.

Good: The Windows Vista user interface is a big improvement over that of XP,
with integrated search features that really work. It's also instantly
familiar, because it uses the same Start Menu/taskbar scheme you learned
years ago. It's also a bit inconsistent at times. Microsoft needs help with
fit and finish as always, though Vista is more solid in this regard than
previous versions.

Good: Windows Vista's security features are top-notch. It remains to be seen
how this will play out in the real world, but my guess is we'll see a lot of
security activity in the first quarter of 2007 and then things will settle
right down. Microsoft did it right this time.

Good: Windows Vista performs as well or better than Windows XP on identical,
modern hardware. No, your Celeron M system isn't going to be a screamer. But
let's be honest here. It never was.

Good: Windows Vista is far more reliable than Windows XP, and its new
instrumentation capabilities will help find and repair any problems that do
arise more quickly.

Good: Windows Vista provides exactly the Internet capabilities that users
expect, with a dramatically improved version of Internet Explorer that is no
embarrassment (like previous versions were).

Bad: Friends don't let friends use Outlook Express, and despite the new
name, Windows Mail is just Outlook Express.

Good: Windows Calendar, Windows Sidebar, and the new Games Explorer (and
games capabilities in general) are surprisingly solid additions to Windows
and applications that you will definitely want to check out.

Good: Windows Vista's digital media applications are generally excellent,
especially the new Windows Photo Gallery and Windows Media Center.

Bad: Microsoft is sending mixed messages by releasing a separate media
player application called Zune. Also, the company should have learned from
Windows Me that bare bones media applications like DVD Maker are a mistake
that reflect poorly on Windows.

Good: As you would expect, Windows Vista's networking capabilities are best
of breed, thanks to a rewritten network stack and some well-considered UI
work. Nice job there.

Good: Windows Vista is a first-class mobility solution with amazing Tablet
PC features, a new Mobility Center, touch screen support, and more.

Bad: Windows Ultimate Extras should be made available to other Windows Vista
users, at a price. Restricting these often-fluffy add-ons to only the most
expensive Vista version is a slap in the face to users who can't afford
Vista Ultimate.

Good: Windows Speech Recognition. Seriously, check it out.

Good: Windows Vista's hardware and software compatibility is excellent, and
a major achievement.

Bad: Wait a year on x64 unless you really know what you're doing. Niggling
software compatibility issues will dog most users until developers get up to
speed with x64-specific issues.

Grading Windows Vista
Looking at the list above, you might notice that the goods outweigh the
"bads" by a considerable margin. You should also note that none of the items
I've listed as "bad" are particularly horrible. This supports my notion that
Windows Vista, taken as a whole, will be an overwhelmingly positive
experience for most users.

Should you upgrade? Yes, you should. I still prefer clean installs over
upgrades, though Microsoft has made progress with refining the upgrade
process, and of course you're going to get the absolute best experience
buying a new PC with Vista preinstalled. If your computer is more than two
years old, you should upgrade to a Vista PC as soon as possible. If you
purchased an XP-based PC in 2006, try to get another year out of it. I can
think of virtually no Microsoft customers that shouldn't consider Vista per
se, though the cost of upgrading can certainly outweigh any potential
benefits of doing so.

Some have questioned the demand for Windows Vista. Though it's been five
years in the making, I have a hard time imagining users queuing up at
CompUSA at midnight on January 29 so they can be among the first to own the
new system, as they did over a decade ago for Windows 95. Looking back, you
should remember that Windows 95 was a sea change in that the world was
moving to 32-bit computing. Even if Windows Vista were to offer a similar
shift to 64-bit computing (and, arguably, it eventually will), that shift
isn't as dramatic, since the mainstream 64-bit environment, x64, is an
extension to the 32-bit technologies we've been using. So we're not going to
see that level of upgrading across the board with Windows Vista. The world
is just different now. That said, users should move to Vista more quickly
than they did to XP.

In conclusion, Windows Vista is both evolutionary and revolutionary, and I
know it's great because every time I have to use Windows XP, I feel
constrained and miss those Vista features I'm just now starting to take for
granted. It's not perfect--what software is?--but it's a compelling and
fascinating product that will delight you over time as you stumble onto new
features. It's this "spontaneous smile" effect that I like so much about
Windows Vista, and it stands in sharp contrast to the refined but stark and
unfriendly world of Mac OS X and the raw, me-too copying of Linux. Windows
Vista is a better operating system than the competition, for reasons that
are both technical and practical. But for the hundreds of millions of people
who will move to Vista in the coming years, all that will really matter is
that it's a major improvement over Windows XP. And it most certainly is that
as well.

Highly recommended.

Capt T

Thanks for all that Gordon think I will go ahead and take to Vista ..

++++++++++++++++++++

news:q150i.3466$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> constrained and miss those Vista features I'm just now starting to take

for
> granted. It's not perfect--what software is?--but it's a compelling and
> fascinating product that will delight you over time as you stumble onto

new
> features. It's this "spontaneous smile" effect that I like so much about
> Windows Vista, and it stands in sharp contrast to the refined but stark

and
> unfriendly world of Mac OS X and the raw, me-too copying of Linux. Windows
> Vista is a better operating system than the competition, for reasons that
> are both technical and practical. But for the hundreds of millions of

people
> who will move to Vista in the coming years, all that will really matter is
> that it's a major improvement over Windows XP. And it most certainly is

Mr. Arnold

"Capt T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4640d317$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i have a pent 2 with win 98 which i use excel for a/cs etc , Nero for cd
> writing, Camedia for photos etc and office 2000.
>
> I am about to order a dell package which comes with vista with no option
> for
> xp.
>
> I am told that Vista is not user friendly, not easy to use and that many
> win
> 98 software wont work and that I would be better off with XP.
>
> Should i go for another manufacturer that still does XP..should I be
> concerned?

You'll find serveral Vista NG(s) and XP too, maybe even Win 9'x.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Capt T wrote:

> Thanks for all that Gordon think I will go ahead and take to Vista ..

Just don't complain when you can't play your favorite DVD and CD.

--
-bts

GreenieLeBrun

"Capt T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for all that Gordon think I will go ahead and take to Vista ..
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:q150i.3466$(E-Mail Removed)...

SNIP-----SNIP-------SNIP

If you do find that there is some software that you need to run but that
will not run under Vista you can always down load Virtual PC and install the
required operating system in that.

Microsoft Virtual PC
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

WhzzKdd

"GreenieLeBrun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f1r2jb$sc8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Capt T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for all that Gordon think I will go ahead and take to Vista ..
>>
>> ++++++++++++++++++++
>>

>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:q150i.3466$(E-Mail Removed)...

> SNIP-----SNIP-------SNIP
>>>

> If you do find that there is some software that you need to run but that
> will not run under Vista you can always down load Virtual PC and install
> the required operating system in that.
>
> Microsoft Virtual PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

Dude! You made MY day! I can use that to VPN in to my office's Novell
Netware network now on my new Vista laptop!