Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Why do I always have to repair my network connection after rebooti

Why do I always have to repair my network connection after rebooti

=?Utf-8?B?Q29uZnVzZWRfQ29uc3VtZXI=?=

I am running a wireless network using a Belkin HSM router. I have two
desktop computers each with Win XP PRO and a Link Station by Buffalo. The
Link Station is hard wired to my router via ethernet. One of the PCs is hard
wired to the router via ethernet. The other PC uses a wireless card. The
"wireless" PC uses the Belkin Wireless Configuration Utility to automatically
establish a network connection at system startup.

The "wireless" PC connects to the network at startup with a "very good"
signal strength; however, I have found that I always have to "repair" the
connection every time I start this PC before I can access the internet or the
network. When I say that I have to "repair" the connection, I mean that I
right click on the "computer icon" in the taskbar and select repair.

Does anyone know how I can remedy this problem? I do not experience this
problem with the PC connected to the router via an ethernet connection.

If it helps, the router is setup as DHCP.

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!

Malke

Confused_Consumer wrote:

> I am running a wireless network using a Belkin HSM router. I have two
> desktop computers each with Win XP PRO and a Link Station by Buffalo.
> The
> Link Station is hard wired to my router via ethernet. One of the PCs
> is hard
> wired to the router via ethernet. The other PC uses a wireless card.
> The "wireless" PC uses the Belkin Wireless Configuration Utility to
> automatically establish a network connection at system startup.
>
> The "wireless" PC connects to the network at startup with a "very
> good" signal strength; however, I have found that I always have to
> "repair" the connection every time I start this PC before I can access
> the internet or the
> network. When I say that I have to "repair" the connection, I mean
> that I right click on the "computer icon" in the taskbar and select
> repair.
>
> Does anyone know how I can remedy this problem? I do not experience
> this problem with the PC connected to the router via an ethernet
> connection.
>
> If it helps, the router is setup as DHCP.
>
> Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!

What operating system is the "wireless" PC running? If it is XP, try
letting Windows handle the wireless connection (instead of using the
Belkin software) instead and see what happens. Or check on Belkin's
site and see if there are any updates to their software.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke

Confused_Consumer wrote:

> I am running a wireless network using a Belkin HSM router. I have two
> desktop computers each with Win XP PRO and a Link Station by Buffalo.
> The
> Link Station is hard wired to my router via ethernet. One of the PCs
> is hard
> wired to the router via ethernet. The other PC uses a wireless card.
> The "wireless" PC uses the Belkin Wireless Configuration Utility to
> automatically establish a network connection at system startup.
>
> The "wireless" PC connects to the network at startup with a "very
> good" signal strength; however, I have found that I always have to
> "repair" the connection every time I start this PC before I can access
> the internet or the
> network. When I say that I have to "repair" the connection, I mean
> that I right click on the "computer icon" in the taskbar and select
> repair.
>
> Does anyone know how I can remedy this problem? I do not experience
> this problem with the PC connected to the router via an ethernet
> connection.
>
> If it helps, the router is setup as DHCP.
>
> Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!

Sorry for the double post - I just took another sip of coffee and it
cleared my mind . I see you said both computers are running XP. It
doesn't change my previous advice, though.

Malke