Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > HELP: Paging File. TIA.

HELP: Paging File. TIA.

That

I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

Brian M.

"That" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JlrWc.241$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
> However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
> paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

I'm getting the same problem on my test computer too. Happens when I try to
install xp or server 2003 on it. KERNEL_PAGEFILE_ERROR BSOD error code has a
bunch of zeros and a 7 in it. I did a google search and didn't have any
luck, everything says to make sure you have the latest drivers. Not much
help during install. I suspect it's my video card (geforce fx 5200) since I
always get a message that it was unable to install video before I get the
BSOD. Other sources say it could be a mobo problem, apparently xp install
can give that message if there is a scratch in the pcb, I guess win2k and
previous os's aren't as inquisitive about your hardware setup on install. I
haven't had time to switch the cards out yet but I could also use some help
on this one.

relic

That wrote:
> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D
> Drive. However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling
> me it has no paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

*IF* you have an Intel 8xx Chipset, install Intel's Application Accelerator.
http://support.intel.com/support/chi.../CS-009305.htm

--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

That

I tried that before posting. It just says "hardware not found" so I guess
none of the relevant intel stuff is in there. Any other ideas? TIA.

news:g%vWc.11381$(E-Mail Removed)...

That wrote:
> "relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g%vWc.11381$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That wrote:
>>> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D
>>> Drive. However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling
>>> me it has no paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

>> *IF* you have an Intel 8xx Chipset, install Intel's Application
>> Accelerator.
>> http://support.intel.com/support/chi.../CS-009305.htm
>>

> I tried that before posting. It just says "hardware not found" so I
> guess none of the relevant intel stuff is in there. Any other ideas?
> TIA.

What is your motherboard?

--
- relic -
Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

JaR

In alt.certification.mcse, Brian M. climbed on a soapbox & opined:

> "That" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JlrWc.241$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D
>> Drive. However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling
>> me it has no paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.
>>

> I'm getting the same problem on my test computer too. Happens when I
> try to install xp or server 2003 on it. KERNEL_PAGEFILE_ERROR BSOD
> error code has a bunch of zeros and a 7 in it. I did a google search
> and didn't have any luck, everything says to make sure you have the
> latest drivers. Not much help during install. I suspect it's my video
> card (geforce fx 5200) since I always get a message that it was unable
> to install video before I get the BSOD. Other sources say it could be
> a mobo problem, apparently xp install can give that message if there
> is a scratch in the pcb, I guess win2k and previous os's aren't as
> inquisitive about your hardware setup on install. I haven't had time
> to switch the cards out yet but I could also use some help on this
> one.

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with Server
2003. Turns out I had bad RAM. It worked just fine with 2k, and I
installed the RAM in another box running 98 it worked fine. But when I
slapped a couple of new sticks in the box I was trying to install 2003
on, the problem went away and it installed. If you have some spare sticks
lying around, try swapping them out.

JaR
MCNGP #22

Rex Tincher

On 24 Aug 2004 16:49:14 GMT, JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
>Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar problem with Server
>2003. Turns out I had bad RAM. It worked just fine with 2k, and I
>installed the RAM in another box running 98 it worked fine. But when I
>slapped a couple of new sticks in the box I was trying to install 2003
>on, the problem went away and it installed. If you have some spare sticks
>lying around, try swapping them out.

If that doesn't work, try new hard drive cable and new hard drive.

--
"She had the 9mm and a .38 revolver. That surprised me,
considering she said she was going to be in the Million Mom March

Rex Tincher

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:13:45 GMT, "That" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
>However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
>paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

Have you tried putting the page files on different partitions? (May
need to turn off error logging first in the Startup/Shutdown options.)

I don't know if that will fix it. I've never seen your problem
before. But it is worth a try.

--
"She had the 9mm and a .38 revolver. That surprised me,
considering she said she was going to be in the Million Mom March
against gun violence and all that." - Police Sergeant C. V. Morris.
More details at: http://www.tincher.to/mmm.htm

Nettransplant

Where is your paging file set to? If you set it to D: drive it may work
better.

"That" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JlrWc.241$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have set up a dual boot system with Win 2k on C drive and Xp on D Drive.
> However, no matter how many times I set on up XP keep telling me it has no
> paging file. 2k works fine. Any ideas? TIA.

That

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried putting the paging file on C,
D, E and even all 3 simultaneously and it still said there wasn't one.
However, I have now solved the problem. While doing some totally unrelated
stuff, I discovered I had no floppy drive. This was due to an IRQ conflict.
I removed the conflicting item and... viola. Floppy drive returns. And I had
rebooted at least twice before I realised I hadn't seen that error message
re the paging file. I rebooted again to convince myself I hadn't imagined
it... and sure enough it wasn't there and I haven't had the problem since.
So anyone having paging file problems like that discussed MIGHT just want to
check for similar IRQ conflicts. Thanks again guys.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...