Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Why can't I install Epson printer driver?

Why can't I install Epson printer driver?

Henk van Winkoop

Hello,

my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
printer.
Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
driver is allready installed!
Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
manager.
Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.

Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the USB-port
related driver.

Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to starting
the installation software as is adviced.

How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?

regards,

Henk

Pen

Henk van Winkoop wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
> device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
> printer.
> Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
> driver is allready installed!
> Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
> manager.
> Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.
>
> Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
> Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the USB-port
> related driver.
>
> Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
> not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to starting
> the installation software as is adviced.
>
> How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?
>
> regards,
>
> Henk

Go here and download and read the setup guide.
You have to install the drivers from the CD ROM.
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pro...A1829024CA72DB

Mr. Arnold

"Henk van Winkoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46407cf5$0$16946$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello,
>
> my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
> device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
> printer.
> Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
> driver is allready installed!
> Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
> manager.
> Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.
>
> Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
> Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the
> USB-port related driver.
>
> Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
> not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to
> starting the installation software as is adviced.
>
> How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?

You know you can go to Device Manager, select the device, right-click/select
Properties and go to the Driver tab and uninstall and reinstall the driver
there.

Henk van Winkoop

Thanks, I allready tries this before but my problem is not found there.

"Pen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Henk van Winkoop wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
>> device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
>> printer.
>> Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
>> driver is allready installed!
>> Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
>> manager.
>> Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.
>>
>> Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
>> Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the
>> USB-port related driver.
>>
>> Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
>> not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to
>> starting the installation software as is adviced.
>>
>> How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Henk
>>

> Go here and download and read the setup guide.
> You have to install the drivers from the CD ROM.
> http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pro...A1829024CA72DB

Henk van Winkoop

> You know you can go to Device Manager, select the device,
> right-click/select Properties and go to the Driver tab and uninstall and
> reinstall the driver there.

I allready tried this before, when searching for new hardware it
automatically will reinstalls the allready previous installed 'wrong'
driver.

But I will try a restore point, probably that helps...

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:Hv60i.4835$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> "Henk van Winkoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46407cf5$0$16946$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hello,
>>
>> my (Windows XP Home) computer keeps saying something like 'unknown USB
>> device' in hardware manager when plugging in my new Epson Stylus DX6050
>> printer.
>> Trying to (re-)install the correct driver keeps saying that the correct
>> driver is allready installed!
>> Unplugging the printer removes the 'unknown USB device' from the hardware
>> manager.
>> Re-plugging makes the 'unknown USB device' message re-appear.
>>
>> Trying another brandnew same-type printer shows the same error behaviour.
>> Uninstalling the software does not help. It does not uninstall the
>> USB-port related driver.
>>
>> Somhow I think some wrong universal XP driver is installed and let itself
>> not de-install probably due to plugging in the USB printer prior to
>> starting the installation software as is adviced.
>>
>> How can I remove the deeply burried XP-USB printer driver?
>>

> You know you can go to Device Manager, select the device,
> right-click/select Properties and go to the Driver tab and uninstall and
> reinstall the driver there.

Pen

Henk van Winkoop wrote:
> Thanks, I allready tries this before but my problem is not found there.

Yes it is. Your problem is that the driver MUST be installed BEFORE you
hook up the printer. Follow the instructions exactly. This is a very
common issue with certain printers/all in ones.

Go here and download and read the setup guide.
You have to install the drivers from the CD ROM.
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Pro...A1829024CA72DB

Henk van Winkoop

Hello,

To answer myself,

the problem was in the USB cable!!!

the failing cable did detect that some equipment was atached to the computer
but somehow it did not recognize the apparatus. After using a new USB-cable
all problems were gone!

thanks for listening anyway..

regards,

Henk

"Henk van Winkoop" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht