Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Intermittent Faults - Preferred Lay Remedies

Intermittent Faults - Preferred Lay Remedies

News Reader

Hi,

Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal remedies to
intermittent faults.

My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g. a bed.
"Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface. Plug in and
try again".

Thanks.

Best wishes,

News Reader

cybuerke

News Reader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal
> remedies to intermittent faults.
>
> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g.
> a bed. "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface.
> Plug in and try again".

How very refined.... Much less drastic than the common person's "Give it a
bloody good kicking."

If urgency isn't an issue, I've found that that repeated nagging with escalating
threats sometimes serves.

YMMV

Keith Willcocks

"cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f1p361$sic$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> News Reader wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal
>> remedies to intermittent faults.
>>
>> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g.
>> a bed. "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface.
>> Plug in and try again".

> How very refined.... Much less drastic than the common person's "Give it
> a bloody good kicking."
>
> If urgency isn't an issue, I've found that that repeated nagging with
> escalating threats sometimes serves.

The problem lies in the frustration circuit which is present in all
electronic equipment. It reduces performance in direct proportion to the
perceived frustration of the user. You should try sitting back with a cup
of tea and pretending that you don't really want to go on line anyway.
;o)
--
Keith Willcocks

PeterC

On Tue, 8 May 2007 08:45:40 +0100, Keith Willcocks wrote:

> "cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f1p361$sic$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>> News Reader wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal
>>> remedies to intermittent faults.
>>>
>>> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g.
>>> a bed. "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface.
>>> Plug in and try again".

>> How very refined.... Much less drastic than the common person's "Give it
>> a bloody good kicking."
>>
>> If urgency isn't an issue, I've found that that repeated nagging with
>> escalating threats sometimes serves.
>>

> The problem lies in the frustration circuit which is present in all
> electronic equipment. It reduces performance in direct proportion to the
> perceived frustration of the user. You should try sitting back with a cup
> of tea and pretending that you don't really want to go on line anyway.
> ;o)

This circuit also senses the proximity of any qualified person and
immediately suspends the fault until the threat of repair has passed.
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.

DH

News Reader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal remedies to
> intermittent faults.
>
> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g. a bed.
> "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface. Plug in and
> try again".
>
> Thanks.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> News Reader

Hit it with a "virtual" stick, much better than threast.

DH

Brian A

On Tue, 08 May 2007 08:35:28 GMT, DH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>News Reader wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal remedies to
>> intermittent faults.
>>
>> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g. a bed.
>> "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface. Plug in and
>> try again".
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Best wishes,
>>

>> News Reader
>>

>Hit it with a "virtual" stick, much better than threast.
>
>DH

Intermiitent faults can often be due to soldered joint or component
problems.
These often depend on temperature. The particular method(s) I have
used have depended on the fault type, these are:-
1. Tap printed circuit boards, in various places, with the non-metalic
part of a screwdriver. This method can be used, gently, on thermionic
devices, such as on the neck of a CRT, if that is suspected.
2. If intermittent noise, try squirting 'freezer' aerosol on
individual components, that you have homed in on, by studying the
circuit/making measurements - i.e. standard fault finding techniques.
3. Use a hairdryer on suspect areas, to raise the temperature, if you
suspect a temperature driven fault.
4.Put it on 'soak' - i.e. give it time, get on with something else but
kep an eye on the performance of the device under test.

If the fault fails to materialise then, at least, clean up the
circuit boards and make sure any switches etc.are cleaned, where
appropriate. Hope this helps!

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

M. J. Powell

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Keith Willcocks
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>"cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:f1p361$sic$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>> News Reader wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal
>>> remedies to intermittent faults.
>>>
>>> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g.
>>> a bed. "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface.
>>> Plug in and try again".

>> How very refined.... Much less drastic than the common person's "Give it
>> a bloody good kicking."
>>
>> If urgency isn't an issue, I've found that that repeated nagging with
>> escalating threats sometimes serves.
>>

>The problem lies in the frustration circuit which is present in all
>electronic equipment. It reduces performance in direct proportion to the
>perceived frustration of the user. You should try sitting back with a cup
>of tea and pretending that you don't really want to go on line anyway.

As a former maintenance engineer I was completely convinced that a fault
occupied a point in space. If you replaced faulty equipment then the new
equipment showed the same fault and the old gear was perfectly
serviceable.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Adam Piggott

Graham

"News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f1onnt$q80$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal remedies
> to intermittent faults.
>
> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g. a
> bed. "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface. Plug in
> and try again".

In the early '90s we were supplying BBC model B's to Pharmacies.
The PSU suffered from dry-joints and the official trouble-shooting
guide said something like this.

"If the computer fails to start up, lift up the entire machine to a height
of four inches above the bench, and let go"

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:56:51 +0100, "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|!
|!"News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|!news:f1onnt$q80$(E-Mail Removed)...
|!>
|!> Hi,
|!>
|!> Can I get peoples opinions on and suggestions of lay / informal remedies
|!> to intermittent faults.
|!>
|!> My /one suggestion is "bouncing", such as with a soft surface - e.g. a
|!> bed. "Grasp device at one end, 'bounce' onto and off soft surface. Plug in
|!> and try again".
|!>
|!
|!In the early '90s we were supplying BBC model B's to Pharmacies.
|!The PSU suffered from dry-joints and the official trouble-shooting
|!guide said something like this.
|!
|!"If the computer fails to start up, lift up the entire machine to a height
|!of four inches above the bench, and let go"

I saw this when I was in the RAF. There was a very *large* Senior Tech
Electrical who was a whizz on the Comet aircraft. When he had a snag he
told his little SAC to go and jump by the ??th window on the right/left as
the case may be. The SAC did that and came back. If the snag was still
there the above was repeated. If the snag was still there he heaved
himself out of the Engineers chair trundled down the Comet and jumped by
the ??window on the left/right. The Comet shuddered. The snag
disappeared. It was a sticking relay. He knew where every relay was and
cleared them as above.
--
Dave Fawthrop <sf hyphenologist.co.uk> 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg