Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Dialog Box

Dialog Box

Freddy

Hi,

Can you create dialog boxes (like a GUI) using the C language...and if
so is it a complicated task?

Cheers,
Freddy

Richard Heathfield

Freddy said:

> Hi,
>
> Can you create dialog boxes (like a GUI) using the C language...

Yes. Any possible computation can be computed in C. This includes the
creation of dialog boxes. Nevertheless, the standard C language offers
no direct support for them, so you will probably want to use a
third-party library to help you out here. Alas, such libraries are not
topical in comp.lang.c, but you will be able to find out what you need
to know in a newsgroup such as, say, comp.unix.programmer or
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, or indeed whatever group is
applicable for your particular platform.

> and if so is it a complicated task?

It depends.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

aleksa

> Can you create dialog boxes (like a GUI) using the C language...
> and if so is it a complicated task?

Try the link below, it will help you to use dialogs, and much, much
more.
Not complicated at all.

--
Generic Window Handler - easy dialogs & MDI - no MFC
www.beotel.net/~gwh

jacob.navia

Freddy a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Can you create dialog boxes (like a GUI) using the C language...and if
> so is it a complicated task?
>
> Cheers,
> Freddy

No, it is quite easy, once you know how to do it.

This is done by the GUI that you are using. For instance using microsoft
windows you will have one method, using linux GTK you will have another,
and using the MacIntosh you will have yet another way of doing dialog
boxes.

There are some multi-platform libraries that allow you to specify your
dialog in some language and then they will make it run in different
platforms.

Freddy

Thank you all for the replies...

I feel already comfortable that it could be done and it shouldn't be
too complicated...however is there a freeware library for that?

Clever Monkey

Freddy wrote:
> Thank you all for the replies...
>
> I feel already comfortable that it could be done and it shouldn't be
> too complicated...however is there a freeware library for that?

[You probably want to quote context when replying, as many threaded
readers will lose the original posting.]

Yes, many. Depends on your platform and the resources it makes
available, and your requirements. Google comes back with a lot of hits
for "free GUI library" which you could tweak with more specific criteria.
--
clvrmnky

Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
contact me directly.

CBFalconer

Freddy wrote:

> I feel already comfortable that it could be done and it shouldn't
> be too complicated...however is there a freeware library for that?

That what could be done? Etc. See below.

--
If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure
you quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only