Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Settings for networking in Vista

Settings for networking in Vista

Dave

I have a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I have changed the
laptop's workgroup name to same as other two PCs in the house
(MSHOME). Laptop connects to Internet just fine through wireless
access point. However, laptop cannot see other two computers when
looking at listing in network/MSHOME in Network. What settings remain
to be checked and changed?

Dave

On May 7, 5:50 pm, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I have changed the
> laptop's workgroup name to same as other two PCs in the house
> (MSHOME). Laptop connects to Internet just fine through wireless
> access point. However, laptop cannot see other two computers when
> looking at listing in network/MSHOME in Network. What settings remain
> to be checked and changed?

I have solved the problem. Had to set network to "private" on the
Vista machine. Obscure Microsoft....

why?

On 7 May 2007 17:39:49 -0700, Dave wrote:

>On May 7, 5:50 pm, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I have changed the
>> laptop's workgroup name to same as other two PCs in the house
>> (MSHOME). Laptop connects to Internet just fine through wireless
>> access point. However, laptop cannot see other two computers when
>> looking at listing in network/MSHOME in Network. What settings remain
>> to be checked and changed?

>I have solved the problem. Had to set network to "private" on the
>Vista machine. Obscure Microsoft....

Not really, it was mentioned yesterday / day before in another post in
24HSHD and a few times before that.
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

thread - How to set up a home network with a Desktop XP System & A
Laptop Vista???

Me