Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > somewhat different kind of network question

somewhat different kind of network question

John

Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?

I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
router?

On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
speed connections.

Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
using wireless NICs?

Thanks.

John

Lem

John wrote:
> Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?
>
> I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
> wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
> router?
>
> On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
> broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
> and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
> machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
> would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
> speed connections.
>
> Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
> using wireless NICs?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

You can connect two Windows boxes together using wireless NICs without a
router. This is called an ad hoc connection. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

Assuming that your Win2k box has two network connections, one to your
broadband service and the other (wireless) to your kid's XP box, you can
share your broadband using Windows Internet Connection Service (ICS).
That is also covered in Barb Bowman's column (linked above).

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

John

On May 7, 9:39 pm, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?

> > I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
> > wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
> > router?

> > On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
> > broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
> > and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
> > machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
> > would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
> > speed connections.

> > Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
> > using wireless NICs?

> > Thanks.

> > John

> You can connect two Windows boxes together using wireless NICs without a
> router. This is called an ad hoc connection. Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02a...
>
> Assuming that your Win2k box has two network connections, one to your
> broadband service and the other (wireless) to your kid's XP box, you can
> share your broadband using Windows Internet Connection Service (ICS).
> That is also covered in Barb Bowman's column (linked above).

Thanks Lem, that is just what I was looking for.

Much obliged for your time,

John

Lem

John wrote:
> On May 7, 9:39 pm, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?
>>> I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
>>> wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
>>> router?
>>> On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
>>> broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
>>> and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
>>> machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
>>> would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
>>> speed connections.
>>> Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
>>> using wireless NICs?
>>> Thanks.
>>> John

>> You can connect two Windows boxes together using wireless NICs without a
>> router. This is called an ad hoc connection. Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02a...
>>
>> Assuming that your Win2k box has two network connections, one to your
>> broadband service and the other (wireless) to your kid's XP box, you can
>> share your broadband using Windows Internet Connection Service (ICS).
>> That is also covered in Barb Bowman's column (linked above).

> Thanks Lem, that is just what I was looking for.
>
> Much obliged for your time,
>
> John

You're welcome.

--