Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recovering USB thumb drive files

Recovering USB thumb drive files

Aardvark

My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
called ).

I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
remove hardware' button.

Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
important stuff.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

SJP

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
> called ).
>
> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
> device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
> remove hardware' button.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
> off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
> There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
> important stuff.

Try http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

olfart

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
> called ).
>
> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
> device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
> remove hardware' button.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
> off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
> There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
> important stuff.

Always have a backup (second copy) of important data whether it is on a HD,
Flash , or Optical Disc. If it's really important make 2 backups on
different types of storage media. S--T happens to all forms of data storage.

Eye In The Sky

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
> called ).
>

> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
> off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
> There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
> important stuff.

First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially anything
that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a half's
effort!!

Then d/l PCInspector

Frosty

On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:36:32 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Aardvark
<(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible,
but instead wrote :

>My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
>her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
>called ).
>
>I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
>it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
>device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
>remove hardware' button.
>
>Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
>off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
>There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
>important stuff.

This points to my constant assertion that people learn more through
trial and error and by doing rather than reading about things in books
or being lectured at university.
Lesson learned!

Aardvark

On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:09:54 +0100, SJP wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
>> called ).
>>
>> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
>> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
>> the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
>> 'safely remove hardware' button.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
>> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
>> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
>> pretty important stuff.
>>

> Try http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Cheers, mate. In the middle of running the prog on her thumb drive as I
type. I'll let you know.

--

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:26:45 -0400, olfart wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
>> called ).
>>
>> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
>> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
>> the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
>> 'safely remove hardware' button.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
>> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
>> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
>> pretty important stuff.
>>

> Always have a backup (second copy) of important data whether it is on a
> HD, Flash , or Optical Disc. If it's really important make 2 backups on
> different types of storage media. S--T happens to all forms of data
> storage.

I'll let you have her email addy and let you try to drum that into her
head We'll see how successful you are.

--

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:31:28 -0400, Eye In The Sky wrote:

> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
>> called ).
>>

>> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
>> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
>> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
>> pretty important stuff.
>>

> First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially
> anything that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a
> half's effort!!
>
> Then d/l PCInspector

I think as far as she's concerned, waiting that few seconds to unplug her
USB drive when it's safe to do so is time wasted, better spent texting
her friends or typing manically into MSN

You know what teenagers are like- if it's not there IMMEDIATELY, it's not
worth waiting for.

--

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:17:07 -0500, Frosty wrote:

> On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:36:32 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Aardvark
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible,
> but instead wrote :
>
>>My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
>>her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's called
>>).
>>
>>I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
>>it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
>>the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
>>'safely remove hardware' button.
>>
>>Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
>>off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
>>There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
>>important stuff.

> This points to my constant assertion that people learn more through
> trial and error and by doing rather than reading about things in books
> or being lectured at university.
> Lesson learned!

LOL You don't know my daughter

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

WhzzKdd

"Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w2K%h.8192$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:31:28 -0400, Eye In The Sky wrote:
>
>> "Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4IH%h.7984$%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
>>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
>>> called ).
>>>

>>> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
>>> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
>>> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
>>> pretty important stuff.
>>>

>> First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially
>> anything that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a
>> half's effort!!
>>
>> Then d/l PCInspector

> I think as far as she's concerned, waiting that few seconds to unplug her
> USB drive when it's safe to do so is time wasted, better spent texting
> her friends or typing manically into MSN
>
> You know what teenagers are like- if it's not there IMMEDIATELY, it's not
> worth waiting for.

Microwave society. I tend to be like that sometimes too <g>