Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Thumbnail question

Thumbnail question

bateman

I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
thumbnails. I want the FULL image. Are there any software titles out
there that will download the full version of the photo? I imagine it
would be like a macro type of setup, where the software would click on
the thumnail, enlarging it to it's full size, and then saving the
captured file to disk. Of course it would help if it would be a batch
process, enlarging and saving each thumbnail it comes across.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Charles Gillen

bateman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
> thumbnails. I want the FULL image.

Right-click on the pic in Internet Explorer, then select SAVE TARGET AS..
instead of SAVE PICTURE AS..

bateman

On May 6, 10:14 pm, Charles Gillen <gillen@hisdotcom> wrote:
> bateman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
> > thumbnails. I want the FULL image.

> Right-click on the pic in Internet Explorer, then select SAVE TARGET AS..
> instead of SAVE PICTURE AS..

When i tried to save it as "target as" instead of "picture as", it
didn't do the trick. Plus, i am looking for software with batch
capability, so i can mass download a lot of pics.

These are not thumbnails, per se. They can be enlarged by clicking on
them. I just wanted to clarify.

Grumps

"bateman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On May 6, 10:14 pm, Charles Gillen <gillen@hisdotcom> wrote:
>> bateman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
>> > thumbnails. I want the FULL image.

>> Right-click on the pic in Internet Explorer, then select SAVE TARGET AS..
>> instead of SAVE PICTURE AS..

> When i tried to save it as "target as" instead of "picture as", it
> didn't do the trick. Plus, i am looking for software with batch
> capability, so i can mass download a lot of pics.
>
> These are not thumbnails, per se. They can be enlarged by clicking on
> them. I just wanted to clarify.

I needed to do the same recently and ended up writing a program to do it. It
was sorta fun to do too.
If you want it, you can have it. But you'll need Borland's C++ Builder and
someone better than me who knows about C++ to make it work for you.

Rudy Lacchin

"bateman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On May 6, 10:14 pm, Charles Gillen <gillen@hisdotcom> wrote:
>> bateman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
>> > thumbnails. I want the FULL image.

>> Right-click on the pic in Internet Explorer, then select SAVE TARGET AS..
>> instead of SAVE PICTURE AS..

> When i tried to save it as "target as" instead of "picture as", it
> didn't do the trick. Plus, i am looking for software with batch
> capability, so i can mass download a lot of pics.
>
> These are not thumbnails, per se. They can be enlarged by clicking on
> them. I just wanted to clarify.

So is the little picture actually the full-size picture, but displayed
small? (That would be unusual.) Or is it a tiny version of the full-size
picture (i.e. a thumbnail) which points or links to the full-size picture?

R.

Randy Berbaum

Rudy Lacchin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: So is the little picture actually the full-size picture, but displayed
: small? (That would be unusual.) Or is it a tiny version of the full-size
: picture (i.e. a thumbnail) which points or links to the full-size picture?

Or one other possibility, is it a small part of the entire picture? Some
sites attempt to keep people from downloading their images from the web by
breaking it into lots of small squares which are displayed as a single
image, but if you try to right click and save you end up with a postage
stamp cut from the middle of the image. There is a work around but it is
tedius and difficult (but once you get the hang of it, it gets easy but
time consuming).

I'm still in the process of piecing together about 4000 12meg images that
I collected (only for personal use) about 1 1/2 years ago.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

http://www.httrack.com/
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

=\(8\)

"bateman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
> thumbnails. I want the FULL image. Are there any software titles out
> there that will download the full version of the photo? I imagine it
> would be like a macro type of setup, where the software would click on
> the thumnail, enlarging it to it's full size, and then saving the
> captured file to disk. Of course it would help if it would be a batch
> process, enlarging and saving each thumbnail it comes across.
>
> any help would be appreciated. thanks!

And, why would you want to steal someone else's pictures?

=(

snafuone@earthlink.net

On May 7, 9:25 am, "=\(8\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "bateman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> >I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
> > thumbnails. I want the FULL image. Are there any software titles out
> > there that will download the full version of the photo? I imagine it
> > would be like a macro type of setup, where the software would click on
> > the thumnail, enlarging it to it's full size, and then saving the
> > captured file to disk. Of course it would help if it would be a batch
> > process, enlarging and saving each thumbnail it comes across.

> > any help would be appreciated. thanks!

> And, why would you want to steal someone else's pictures?
>
> =(

they are NOT someone elses pictures. They are from user-submitted
sites such as Flickr.

whomever@anywhere.org

On 11 May 2007 17:05:09 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On May 7, 9:25 am, "=\(8\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "bateman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>
>> >I download a lot of pics on websites, but a lot of the time, they are
>> > thumbnails. I want the FULL image. Are there any software titles out
>> > there that will download the full version of the photo? I imagine it
>> > would be like a macro type of setup, where the software would click on
>> > the thumnail, enlarging it to it's full size, and then saving the
>> > captured file to disk. Of course it would help if it would be a batch
>> > process, enlarging and saving each thumbnail it comes across.

>> > any help would be appreciated. thanks!

>> And, why would you want to steal someone else's pictures?
>>
>> =(

>they are NOT someone elses pictures. They are from user-submitted
>sites such as Flickr.

People upload smaller, highly-compressed photos to keep others from stealing
them. With enough JPG compression artifacts that makes even upsampling the image
not worth anyone's time. It's the very best type of copyright protection on the
net, in fact it's the only way to keep others from using the original photos
without permission. Watermarks on originals are useless, they can all be
removed. The original full-size image does not exist at Flickr, just the smaller
version exists online. Contact the author if you want a larger version. But
don't get your hopes up. Nobody (with a photo worth having) will give access to
the full-resolution version to anyone but a reputable person who will agree to a
limited-use contract and abide by it.

Thumbnail gif Question. DLU HTML 39 12-27-2008 11:36 PM
Displaying a Thumbnail vs. creating a thumbnail David Lozzi ASP .Net 1 02-01-2006 10:34 PM
Thumbnail View Charles A. Lackman ASP .Net 0 04-01-2004 06:04 PM
Need Help with Thumbnail Gallery in Panel David Elliott ASP .Net 1 10-18-2003 05:54 AM
Looking for thumbnail function/control Arjen ASP .Net 3 08-20-2003 02:03 PM

Advertisments