Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Directly reading/writing a HDD

Directly reading/writing a HDD

galapogos

Hi,

I'm writing a console program to directly read from and write to an
external USB HDD in sector level(so that I can access the drive w/o it
even being initialized/partitioned/formatted, and I'm wondering how to
get started. I've only done file level I/O before on directly
connected drives so I'm not sure how to identify the USB drive(USB VID/
PID/serial number maybe?) and also how to address it directly. Are
there any primers for this to help me get started?

I tried playing around with GetLogicalDrives(),
GetLogicalDriveStrings() and CreateFile(), but these seem to work at
the logical level, so I don't know exactly which physical drive I'm
accessing.

Thanks!

Keith Thompson

galapogos <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I'm writing a console program to directly read from and write to an
> external USB HDD in sector level(so that I can access the drive w/o it
> even being initialized/partitioned/formatted, and I'm wondering how to
> get started. I've only done file level I/O before on directly
> connected drives so I'm not sure how to identify the USB drive(USB VID/
> PID/serial number maybe?) and also how to address it directly. Are
> there any primers for this to help me get started?

This is system-specific. You'll need to ask in a newsgroup that deals
with your operating system.

galapogos

On May 7, 11:10 am, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> galapogos <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I'm writing a console program to directly read from and write to an
> > external USB HDD in sector level(so that I can access the drive w/o it
> > even being initialized/partitioned/formatted, and I'm wondering how to
> > get started. I've only done file level I/O before on directly
> > connected drives so I'm not sure how to identify the USB drive(USB VID/
> > PID/serial number maybe?) and also how to address it directly. Are
> > there any primers for this to help me get started?

> This is system-specific. You'll need to ask in a newsgroup that deals
> with your operating system.
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>

The target OS will either be WinXP or Linux, most probably WinXP since
development is being done as a Win32 console application.

Richard Heathfield

galapogos said:

> On May 7, 11:10 am, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> galapogos <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > I'm writing a console program to directly read from and write to an
>> > external USB HDD in sector level(so that I can access the drive w/o
>> > it even being initialized/partitioned/formatted, and I'm wondering
>> > how to get started. I've only done file level I/O before on
>> > directly connected drives so I'm not sure how to identify the USB
>> > drive(USB VID/ PID/serial number maybe?) and also how to address it
>> > directly. Are there any primers for this to help me get started?

>> This is system-specific. You'll need to ask in a newsgroup that
>> deals with your operating system.

> The target OS will either be WinXP or Linux, most probably WinXP since
> development is being done as a Win32 console application.

Then try <news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32>

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

galapogos

On May 7, 12:00 pm, Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> galapogos said:

> >> This is system-specific. You'll need to ask in a newsgroup that
> >> deals with your operating system.

> > The target OS will either be WinXP or Linux, most probably WinXP since
> > development is being done as a Win32 console application.

> Then try <news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32>
>
> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999http://www.cpax.org.uk
> email: rjh at the above domain, - www.