Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AGP

Christopher Syn

Thanks, the answers I was looking for

"Jerry Attic" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
news:463d65b0$0$26322$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
> 66.250.146.158:
>
>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in
>> news:Tzb%h.8$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> "Christopher Syn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:ssb%h.6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> Yes, but it won't run as good as that 8x card in an 8x
>>> slot. It would run more like a 4x card in that 4x slot.
>>>
>>> If you already have a good 4x card, an 8x card in that slot
>>> would probably not be worth the investment. But if you are
>>> gaming and have a cheapo card, then an upgrade should be
>>> helpful.

>> Just to make sure...
>>
>> An 8x card WILL fit into and run in a 4x slot? A seemingly
>> knowledgeable salesman once told me otherwise.

> This is how it is: A majority of 8X cards are backwards compatible to
> older
> 4X AGP slots. A majority are not backward compatible with a really ancient
> 2X slot. When you stick an 8X card in a 4X slot, it will only run at 4X.
> However, since the internals are better than an older 4X, you will see
> better performance. How much depends on a POS your PC is, etc.
>
>> Asking because 4x cards are getting scarce and I only have the
>> choice of 4xAGP or standard PCI.

> A cheaper 8x card with 256 megs of RAM is better than some crappy NVIDIA
> 420 with 64 megs of RAM. Does that make sense?
>
> Jerry

Plato

Christopher Syn wrote:

> was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
> does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x slot?
> ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

A 4X slot will only run at 4X as far as I know even if you put an 8X
card in.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

ProfGene

Christopher Syn wrote:
> was just thinking, some mobos have 8x agp,some older have 4x agp.
> does it do any good (better graphics) to put a better 8x card in a 4x
> slot? ie 5500 to a 6800 nvidia?

I am not even sure an 8x graphics card will work in a 4x slot but if it
does I doubt you would get better graphics.