Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

Spare

My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
lower).

So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
point only? How do I go about doing that?

Thanks!

Sooner Al [MVP]

"Spare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
> lower).
>
> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
> point only? How do I go about doing that?
>
> Thanks!

Yes you can... In general terms you want to...

1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same range
as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses 192.168.1.X
then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar. Make sure the
IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link DHCP server.
3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
straight cable.

You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I use
has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin pages.
I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sooner Al [MVP]

"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Spare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
>> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
>> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
>> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
>> lower).
>>
>> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
>> point only? How do I go about doing that?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Yes you can... In general terms you want to...
>
> 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
> 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
> range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
> DHCP server.
> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
> straight cable.
>
> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74...8230-4_man.pdf

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Just a Cable remark.
If the ports on either one of the Routers is MDX, then a Straight cable
would work, Otherwise LAN to LAN port needs Crossover cable.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> [...]

>> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
>> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
>> DHCP server.
>> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
>> straight cable.
>>
>> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
>> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
>> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>

> If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
> download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

One last thing...

You should turn off the D-Link WiFi radio so as not to interfere with the
Belkin. What model D-Link is it?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Spare

On May 5, 12:55 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Spare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> >> Yes you can... In general terms you want to...

> >> 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
> >> 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
> >> range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
> >> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
> >> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
> >> DHCP server.
> >> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
> >> straight cable.

> >> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
> >> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
> >> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...

> >> --

> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> >> mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> rights...

> > If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
> > download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

> >http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74...8230-4_man.pdf

> > --

> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> > mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...

> One last thing...
>
> You should turn off the D-Link WiFi radio so as not to interfere with the
> Belkin. What model D-Link is it?
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> rights...- Hide quoted text -

This is a D-Link DI-624 that came with my Verizon Fios, but I
understand that the firmware was customized a bit, so no flashing
allowed. My Belkin is indeed the F5D8230-4. Thanks a ton for
helping me understand this, I will attempt to configure this later
today, and I will let you know how this goes.

Sooner Al [MVP]

"Spare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> This is a D-Link DI-624 that came with my Verizon Fios, but I
> understand that the firmware was customized a bit, so no flashing
> allowed. My Belkin is indeed the F5D8230-4. Thanks a ton for
> helping me understand this, I will attempt to configure this later
> today, and I will let you know how this goes.

There is no flashing required. Just figure out how to turn off the D-Link
WiFi radio so it will not interfere with the Belkin. Check the users
manual...