Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbir 2.0

Thunderbir 2.0

Dan C

I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
directory. Will the new install be completely separate
from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
it be better to completely un-install the old version,
clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?

Dan

On May 5, 8:30 am, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
> directory. Will the new install be completely separate
> from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
> it be better to completely un-install the old version,
> clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?
>
> Dan

I think you need a lesson in how TB works.

First, all your settings, prefs, mail, news, passwords, etc, are
stored in an area called the TB Profile. This profile is separate
from where the program is installed. When you uninstall, all you're
doing is removing the program. The profile is not touched.

When you install a new version of TB, and into its own directory, then
it will pick up your old profile and start using it.

To avoid this, close the old program, then click on the windows Start
button, then Run and enter:

thunderbird.exe -p

this will bring up the TB profile manager. Now create a new profile
just for this new version of TB. Don't start TB though. Now, install
the new version of TB and install it into another directory. Now,
when TB starts, it should ask you which profile to use.

Dan C

> On May 5, 8:30 am, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
>> directory. Will the new install be completely separate
>> from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
>> it be better to completely un-install the old version,
>> clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?
>>
>> Dan

> I think you need a lesson in how TB works.
>
> First, all your settings, prefs, mail, news, passwords, etc, are
> stored in an area called the TB Profile. This profile is separate
> from where the program is installed. When you uninstall, all you're
> doing is removing the program. The profile is not touched.
>
> When you install a new version of TB, and into its own directory, then
> it will pick up your old profile and start using it.
>
> To avoid this, close the old program, then click on the windows Start
> button, then Run and enter:
>
> thunderbird.exe -p
>
> this will bring up the TB profile manager. Now create a new profile
> just for this new version of TB. Don't start TB though. Now, install
> the new version of TB and install it into another directory. Now,
> when TB starts, it should ask you which profile to use.

Thanks for the tutorial. Your guidance was excellent per
usual.

Is there a way to import specific items like only the
Inbox's sub folders? I have a lot and would like to avoid
the recreation of them?

Dan

On May 6, 4:59 pm, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On May 5, 8:30 am, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
> >> directory. Will the new install be completely separate
> >> from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
> >> it be better to completely un-install the old version,
> >> clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?

> >> Dan

> > I think you need a lesson in how TB works.

> > First, all your settings, prefs, mail, news, passwords, etc, are
> > stored in an area called the TB Profile. This profile is separate
> > from where the program is installed. When you uninstall, all you're
> > doing is removing the program. The profile is not touched.

> > When you install a new version of TB, and into its own directory, then
> > it will pick up your old profile and start using it.

> > To avoid this, close the old program, then click on the windows Start
> > button, then Run and enter:

> > thunderbird.exe -p

> > this will bring up the TB profile manager. Now create a new profile
> > just for this new version of TB. Don't start TB though. Now, install
> > the new version of TB and install it into another directory. Now,
> > when TB starts, it should ask you which profile to use.

> Thanks for the tutorial. Your guidance was excellent per
> usual.
>
> Is there a way to import specific items like only the
> Inbox's sub folders? I have a lot and would like to avoid
> the recreation of them?
>
> Dan

Close TB. From the old profile, just rename inbox to inbox-old or
whatever you want. And the same with the other files if you have
duplicates. Now, copy those files over from the old TB Profile over
to the new TB profiles. Once they've been copied, delete the *.msf
files. Restart TB and the files should be there. Are they?